PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

PJ
Jul 5, 2007, 11:59 PM
Anyone read this series?

It's the first thing in a while that I've read and that I've totally gotten into. Not gonna spoil anything, except that it doesn't suck.

My brother finally got the last 2 books on Tuesday, and I read them today. For a series that got me so into it so easily, I was disappointed to see it end, since any ending for something like that would be disatisfactory (As awesome as it was, really). But I also felt, some series (Like Naruto) should keep going, and some like this one, should end, so it was good that it ended before it got sour/boring.

Mixfortune
Jul 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
I had up through the 11th book, and poked around online to finish it up a few months ago. Bought the 12th book today when I saw it at the store, if anything to complete the set, and it's worth it to me to hold onto with a physical copy.

But yeah, it's certainly fresh in the whole process the series goes through and how the characters approach the situation (using logic, mind games, and observation as opposed to suspense building up only to culminate into a huge ex machina battle action fight sequence). I'm sure other series of the past have touched somewhere on this kind of detective smart-people approach, but this is the first to really get some exposure around here.

One thing of note overall, the first half is a lot better than the second half, but they at least keep reference and respect for the past, instead of introducing some kind of "omg new opposition that's so much uber top secret smarter-than-everyone-else-so-far-by-a-long-shot" character development.

It's true there could have been some more interesting alternative endings, but I can't say it diminished the series at all. Still my current top manga, for now.

Weeaboolits
Jul 6, 2007, 12:50 AM
I've only read the first volume, but I've watched the anime in its entirety, and I gotta' say, it's freakin' amazing.

But as Mix said, the second half isn't quite as good as the first, but it's still awesome.

chaos89
Jul 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
another poser >:(

Solstis
Jul 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
Oh? Is Deathnote a smart manga?

I'm looking for new things to get in to... Bleach makes me feel like I'm reading a pop-up book.

Weeaboolits
Jul 6, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it's a smart manga, rather than try to fight his adversaries, the main character tries to outwit them. ;]