PDA

View Full Version : Live Earth Concert

Ravennittes
Jul 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
The New York one (in the Meadowlands in NJ lol) just started. Watch it on your regional stations if you're not in the US. To find those out, go to msn.com, they're there somewhere.

To watch in the US, tune to Bravo or Sundance.

Artists from every continent are playing all over the world (yes even Antarctica) to raise awairness for Global Warming. Have fun watching the concert http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

DurakkenX
Jul 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
Everyone is aware of global warming...this "live concert" is only contributing to it.

Ravennittes
Jul 7, 2007, 02:20 PM
Not quite. They are making sure less energy is used in the concert (as little as possible). It is also raising money for green projects. Prolly should just to watch the concert, eh? It's free on TV.

EphekZ
Jul 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
I watched it, it was very good. Many good bands like RHCP to snoop dog. Of course Al Gore was there being...Al Gore, and that other guy who came up every commercial(yay for dvr) I'm really Mad that Muse wasn't on the bill though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Niered
Jul 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
I wasnt interested in this in the least. And that has little to do with the bands. "Raising awareness" for common knowledge is like telling florida its school system is FUBAR. Everyone knows it, chances are if they havent done anything about it yet, noone cares enough to do something drastic ever.

Of course, i would include myself in that majority.

Jonty
Jul 8, 2007, 03:59 PM
Rubbish music; and what's more, the whole event simply contributed to global warming.
Aside from this: electrical systems on standby, light bulbs and the like don't matter. Nothing is going to change until America (along with developing countries such as India and China) stop pumping out gas. Which they won't.

Sinue_v2
Jul 8, 2007, 07:16 PM
On 2007-07-07 12:11, DurakkenX wrote:
Everyone is aware of global warming...this "live concert" is only contributing to it.

For once, I concur with Durakken on something. If Al Gore was there, you can bet that many of the speeches given were subject to bad or incomplete science. He's a showman, and the "awareness raising" was probably as factual as his fucking lameass movie.

The truth is climate change is happening. It's always happening. If our evironment was stable, it would be the first time in the history of the world. We know this. And no, it's not always a slow and gradual process. Our current change in the environment is not unique or special - aside from the fact that we are living in this period.

We know mankind is contributing to climate change. This is obvious. You cannot be a functioning part of a system without altering the system. You can't take a walk in the woods without altering the woods. You crush plants underfoot, create a scent trail that other animals pick up on, ect. So the question is... how much of an impact are we having - and the answer to that question is... ??? We don't know.

We don't know much about the environment. We look at it in a very linear cause and effect manner - and it's not that way. It's a chaotic, non-linear, and unbelievably complex system.

This concert was nothing but a big kumbayah party for some eco-freaks and neo-hippies. It's not about raising awareness, not real awareness at any rate. It's about raising money. Which, actually, fits the profile very well. After all, environmentalism is a religeon you know - modeled after judeo-christian beliefs. Perhaps Al Gore sees himself as a modern Jesus.. or perhaps not. People really need to realize that we have never lived in a peaceful stable gaia paradise. We live in a constantly evolving world, sometimes suddenly and violently. The earth has experienced extended periods of time with temperatures both much warmer, and much cooler, than what we experience today. We don't know exactly what this current warming trend means for the future, but we do know that at some point fairly soon (relatively speaking) we will enter a new ice age. Think we have a disaster on our hands contending with rising sea levels? That will be peanuts compaired to the next Ice Age - as the polar ice caps will extend downwards, as they have before, over most of North America, Europe, and Russia. It will destroy whole nations, displace millions upon millions of people, cause famine and death on an unprecedented scale. This we DO know. Yet we still don't know weither or not "Global Warming" will help stave off or hasten the next Ice Age.

I think that if they really wanted to help the environment - rather than throwing a concert, they could have spent the money to buy proper water and sanitation facilities for some of the thousands of villages around the globe who are shitting and pouring their wastes in the local rivers. Give that money as aid to factories and foundries in poor countries to help filter emissions from their stacks and properly dispose of their industrial wastes. Or better, use it to feed people and ease the suffering of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of starving families.

No.. instead, that money is going to go to Green Peace or whoever so that they can fund more (slanted) research, hire more lawyers, and print up a bunch of phamplets inviting rich philanthrapists to their next fund raising event.

(And yes, I do believe that researchers should not be allowed to know who is funding their research - and results should not be "peer reviewed" but rather on a double-blind testing standard.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-08 18:42 ]</font>

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 9, 2007, 01:55 AM
The point of Live Earth was to get people to change the way they live, to try and get people to be more environmentally friendly. Throwing a concert definitely is not the brightest idea, but when you think about it, any other event would only have attracted the "eco freaks" and "neo hippies." Using the music industry as a guise was the only way the average person would have paid any attention. Now that's not to say that Live Earth is a completely selfless endeavor. They've got merchandise, and I'm not going to pretend I know to what ends the proceeds go to. But at least something is happening.

I agree with Sinue on part though. Climate change is an issue, but so are the millions of starving people around the globe. I used to like Claim Jumpers until I realized that while I was sitting there stuffing my face, someone somewhere in the world was scrounging around for even a bite to eat.