PDA

View Full Version : New hardware for my Xbox.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 8, 2007, 04:24 PM
I just ordered a Pelican Xbox 360 Pro Cooler via GameStop.com and I am soooo excited to get it! It'll be here tomorrow, I paid the full amount for overnight shipping. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Here's what I bought.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802686

I notice it has a USB splitter, and multiple video outputs including VGA, S-Video, Composite, and Component. I am so eager to test out these new output features with my video capture card, because now I don't have to drag my XBox out into the living room whenever I want to record, since my bedroom TV has no output.

Now here's my question to you all, is S-Video output higher quality than Composite video output?

If possible, try to rank up which outputs give the highest quality. Thanks!

Composite Video
Component Video
S-Video
VGA Output

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-08 14:24 ]</font>

Midicronica
Jul 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
Eh, I don't trust those coolers...

Parn
Jul 8, 2007, 05:20 PM
Just so you know, you void your warranty using products like this that interact with the hardware. Nyko's Intercooler is infamous for leaving scorch marks around the power input port, and Microsoft checks for things like this when you ship a 360 in for repair. If they find evidence of 3rd party hardware used with the console when you try to send it in on their tab, they'll ship it right back and you'll have a $90 bill in the mail.

Sinue_v2
Jul 8, 2007, 06:44 PM
As far as Video quality goes, from worst to best...

RF
Composite
S-Video
Component
*HDMI
*VGA

Some people say they can't see the difference between component and VGA. I definately can. And the difference between HDMI and VGA is dependant on what type of a TV you're using. VGA is an analog signal, so it works best with CRT displays. HDMI is a digital signal, so it works best with LCD displays. This is because pairing analog to analog (or digital to digital) reduces the number of times the signal needs to be converted - and you always lose some modicum of picture quality in the conversion.

As for your cooler, it looks pimp - but I don't trust any cooler which acts as an intermediary between the X360 and the power supply. The 360 is VERY touchy when it comes to it's power supply, and I've seen several of those type of units cause the power to flicker due to bad connections. My cousin blew out his first Xbox with an intercooler much like yours. Plus your stacking fans on top of fans, which is just going to put more stress on your 360's fans.

I use a pelican cooler that sits on the bottom of the Xbox (the footer side, not the HDD side) and plugs in via USB.

Parn
Jul 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
There's a little more to it as far as video signal goes from these next-gen consoles. As an example, my LCD HDTV's native resolution is 1366x768, which is the standard resolution for LCD HDTVs marketed as 720p/1080i compatible. Regardless of whether I choose HDMI or Component, if I go with 720p (1280x720), the original source is stretched horizontally and vertically to fit my screen. If I go with 1080i (1920x1080), the original source is shrunken down to fit, which eliminates any possible improvement HDMI could have given over Component and makes HDMI completely pointless.

VGA output on 360 however, allows me to control my output resolution as I can on a PC. I have my 360 set to output 1360x768, and so I get the highest possible quality picture I could get onto my HDTV.

Native resolution on your HDTV is very important. Most Plasma HDTVs marketed as 720p/1080i compatible have a native resolution of 1024x768, and that's not a typo. The reason some Plasma HDTVs are over 5 grand is because it's expensive to manufacture true 1080p Plasma TVs.

Blitzkommando
Jul 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
Keep in mind power anywhere in the world is going to be coming in dirty from the outlet. Using a cooler like that has potential of exacerbating the issue as it doesn't appear to be the best constructed piece of hardware. If it is anything like the Nyko cooler it's going to be very loud as well compared to the Pelican cooler Sinue mentioned that uses a single large fan at lower RPM (ergo more air flowing while staying at a lower RPM equals less noise). Also, stacking fans on fans does indeed cause additional stress on them and can blow the bearings prematurely, especially if a low or high pressure zone is created between them.