PDA

View Full Version : Rules! >_>

neko-chan
Dec 20, 2002, 05:26 AM
Last night, after a few glasses of wine, we came up with this idea of coding the rules to understand if a game is good or bad. Yes, rules. Sadly I remember just four of them... (too much wine I guess).

Here they are:
1. Location: if the game comes from Japan has an high chance to be a good game. If it comes from Europe or USA it's most likely crap.

2. Platforms: if the game is coded for multiple platforms is most likley crap.

3. EA: if the games is published by Electronic Arts is most likely crap.

4. About consoles: never buy a console bigger than your butt.

Well... those are the first rules... wanna help me to code out more? ^_^

*this thread is for fun, I don't want to start a new console war thread, ok?* ^_^;;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-21 02:29 ]</font>

Ness
Dec 20, 2002, 07:28 AM
LOL!!! I got to hand it to you Neko, that was pretty funny. Or maybe it's just too early in the moring. (6:25 AM CST).

Here are some more:

1. Games that have shitty music will make you lose interest. Luckly, I have only played one game with shitty music, but I can't remeber the name.

2. If it's made by a Suaresoft it's usually a good game.

3. Expansions to games usually blow.

4. Most videogame sequeal are better than the original.

Kent
Dec 20, 2002, 07:28 PM
A counterpoint to #3:

All Squaresoft games in the US are published by Electronic Arts.

CajunSamurai
Dec 20, 2002, 10:50 PM
1. Location: if the game comes from Japan has an high chance to be a good game. If it comes from Europe of USA it's most likely crap.

2. Platforms: if the game is coded for multiple platforms is most likley crap.

3. EA: if the games is published by Electronic Arts is most likely crap.

4. About consoles: never buy a console bigger than your butt.BWAHAHA, EA bashing is my favorite pastime!
Anyway, he's right: Square EA publishes all Square games in the US. Actually, EA HAS published a few pretty damn good games... Now, if you changed "published" to "developed", then there ya go. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif With only a few exceptions, EA really sucks the big one, in my ever-so-humble opinionated mind of DOOM.

About #1: There're a LOT of bad games in Japan too, believe me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif It's just that most publishers aren't stupid enough to bring 'em over here. Just as we get a ton of craptastic games based on cartoons and movies, they do too. Only the biggest fanboys would import the Cowboy Bebop game PSX game for example, ugh.
However, as for the games released in the US? I agree for the most part! Nearly all games I buy are Japanese in origin. A few exceptions every now and then... Metroid Prime for example, probably the best American developed game I've played on console since... I dunno, Tony Hawk? Ever? Hmm.
Frequency was awesome too. And there're always some stellar Euro games every now and then. Ubisoft's recent Splinter Cell for example. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I don't think many can argue with rule #2 though. Some may argue with #4 though, depending on the size of their uh, ego. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Either way, I'd buy an Xbox even if it were the size of my computer case. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Here's another rule:

If a game has been in development for a year or less, it's gonna be a steaming pile of crap.

Kid_Icarus
Dec 21, 2002, 03:36 AM
Rule #567 If the name of the game is "Legacy of the Wizard" burn the game before it can spread.

CajunSamurai
Dec 21, 2002, 03:54 AM
Legacy of the Wizard isn't that bad! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I own it on NES, it's uhh... certainly DIFFERENT. I can definitely see how some people could hate it though... Like this reviewer (http://manna.the0rem.net/video/legacy/legacy.html) for example!

"Graphics: 0 The difference between male and female in this game seems to be a matter of whether or not they have little corn dogs on their head.
Sound: -2: Allow me to quote once again: "Original soundtrack not available. You'll thank us."
Gameplay: 1 Nothing special. Nothing 'screw-the-knife-I-just-found-my-purpose-in-life' good.
Overall: 1 It's morbidly amusing somehow. Mostly if you keep dropping the little dinosaur off cliffs for twenty minutes."

neko-chan
Dec 21, 2002, 06:01 AM
On 2002-12-20 16:28, Kent wrote:
A counterpoint to #3:

All Squaresoft games in the US are published by Electronic Arts.

Didn't know this, sorry... Well so, if the game is developed by EA. ok? ^_^

# 5: Any game developed for any of the 128 bits consoles featuring random encounters is most likely crap.

Vitamin_D
Dec 21, 2002, 11:47 AM
Rule Number 100: Capcom is God.

Deathscythealpha
Dec 21, 2002, 12:06 PM
On 2002-12-20 02:26, neko-chan wrote:

1. Location: if the game comes from Japan has an high chance to be a good game. If it comes from Europe or USA it's most likely crap.

Thats the main reason i havent bought an X Box yet, to many naff US and European games.

-If a fighting game is to have a long life, its got to have more options then Arcade and Survival.

Kent
Dec 22, 2002, 04:28 AM
On 2002-12-21 03:01, neko-chan wrote:
Didn't know this, sorry... Well so, if the game is developed by EA. ok? ^_^

Yeah, that's a lot more reasonable.

# 5: Any game developed for any of the 128 bits consoles featuring random encounters is most likely crap.

So... any game with random encounters on Dreamcast or Playstation 2 is most likely crap?

That doesn't make any sense at all...

Deathscythealpha
Dec 22, 2002, 06:22 PM
Hmm, may contradict myself here, but the Locaton rule would probably be wrong for first person shooters. The japanese dont like fps', and it seems only americain developers make em. Well, just felt like i had to put that in.

*dispaears to go play SoF2 and AVP2*

neko-chan
Dec 23, 2002, 04:57 AM
On 2002-12-22 01:28, Kent wrote:

So... any game with random encounters on Dreamcast or Playstation 2 is most likely crap?

It does for me. I love RPGs (my all time av game genre) but random fights really piss me off. There was a technical reason behind them: old consoles had problems displaying too many sprite at once. This is why I think NOW they should wipe off the random fights.

Kent
Dec 23, 2002, 11:27 AM
On 2002-12-23 01:57, neko-chan wrote:

On 2002-12-22 01:28, Kent wrote:

It does for me. I love RPGs (my all time av game genre) but random fights really piss me off. There was a technical reason behind them: old consoles had problems displaying too many sprite at once. This is why I think NOW they should wipe off the random fights.

Yeah, but we don't use sprites much anymore, now do we? Not on things like the two 128-bit consoles and the GameCube and Xbox. With the amount of detail developers put into some of their games (Final Fantasy X is instance) they can't realy afford to put a lot of enemies walking around on-screen at once without dropping framerates, and the only way they could really fix that would be to include massive pop-up (or make the polycounts really low, and some devs won't do that), making enemies appear out of nowhere.

Not to mention the fact that enemies would get in the way, preventing you from enjoying the scenery. And you couldn't stand still and try to figure out, say, a puzzle, because enemies will constantly be running in to you.

While I can agree that random encounters can get annoying at times, not every game leaves enough processing power to have a ton of other high-polygon models walking around everywhere.

neko-chan
Dec 23, 2002, 11:54 AM
On 2002-12-23 08:27, Kent wrote:
Yeah, but we don't use sprites much anymore, now do we?

Sure, that was the point! Didn't you understand that, "genius"?

Hint: but there're STILL random encounters. Don't you find this amusing?

Not on things like the two 128-bit consoles and the GameCube and Xbox. With the amount of detail developers put into some of their games (Final Fantasy X is instance) they can't realy afford to put a lot of enemies walking around on-screen at once without dropping framerates, and the only way they could really fix that would be to include massive pop-up (or make the polycounts really low, and some devs won't do that), making enemies appear out of nowhere.

Amount of details? Remember Tidus airs? Yeah.

They're just lazy bastards, asking us to spend 50 Dollars for a game that is 10 years old. PSO anyone? Grandia II anyone? Zelda? Now that you mention Squaresoft, do you remember the doors in some temples in FFX? Shutting down at the friggin' speed of 5 frames per second?

Not to mention the fact that enemies would get in the way, preventing you from enjoying the scenery.

Are you kidding right? Enjoy the scenery? It's a game or a picture in a museum? Do you buy games just to stare at some fancy backgrounds?

And you couldn't stand still and try to figure out, say, a puzzle, because enemies will constantly be running in to you.

C'mon, even my farts were smarter than FFX puzzles.

You Squaresoft fanboys... always sooo funny.

While I can agree that random encounters can get annoying at times, not every game leaves enough processing power to have a ton of other high-polygon models walking around everywhere.

At times? You're in a big area, looking for some tresure chest or hidden passage, or simply the exit. You are exploring that area, meaning you can't simply rush trough the battle field, but you need to carefully walk trying to find what you're looking for. And every 5 seconds 5 "SWOOOOSH": three stupid enemies, always the same, attack you. You cast the same 2 spells that you know work on them and slash them with the same 2 blades that you know work on them. This for two hours, because the next save point is far miles (and dozens of "SWOOOOSH") from you.

Call it entertainment. Yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-23 09:04 ]</font>

Ness
Dec 23, 2002, 12:58 PM
On 2002-12-23 08:54, neko-chan wrote:

Sure, that was the point! Didn't you understand that, "genius"?

Hint: but there're STILL random encounters. Don't you find this amusing?

Calm down Neko. Random encounters aren't as bad as you make them sound. It's better than having no enemies at all.

Amount of details? Remember Tidus airs? Yeah.

They're just lazy bastards, asking us to spend 50 Dollars for a game that is 10 years old. PSO anyone? Grandia II anyone? Zelda? Now that you mention Squaresoft, do you remember the doors in some temples in FFX? Shutting down at the friggin' speed of 5 frames per second?

What are you talking about> I don'yt remeber having to wait for any doors in FFX.. Infact, I remember seeing any doors close.

Are you kidding right? Enjoy the scenery? It's a game or a picture in a museum? Do you buy games just to stare at some fancy backgrounds?

Hey! Zanarkand was a beautiful city and so was Luca. I would often stare out the windows of Ruins 1. Videogames have some pretty cool scenery you know.

C'mon, even my farts were smarter than FFX puzzles.

You Squaresoft fanboys... always sooo funny.

Some of Squaresoft's puzzles are hard. You are just eggzagertaing you intellegence to make Kent look bad. I doubt you got through those puzzles that easy.

At times? You're in a big area, looking for some tresure chest or hidden passage, or simply the exit. You are exploring that area, meaning you can't simply rush trough the battle field, but you need to carefully walk trying to find what you're looking for. And every 5 seconds 5 "SWOOOOSH": three stupid enemies, always the same, attack you. You cast the same 2 spells that you know work on them and slash them with the same 2 blades that you know work on them. This for two hours, because the next save point is far miles (and dozens of "SWOOOOSH") from you.

Call it entertainment. Yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-23 09:04 ]</font>

That's a worse-case scenario. Out of all the random encounter games you've played, how many have actually been like that the whole way or even half the way. You really need to calm down and there was no need to go off on Kent like that calling him a fanboty and shit. Kent has proven you wrond while still seeing where you are coming, but you have to go and falme him.

neko-chan
Dec 23, 2002, 01:03 PM
On 2002-12-23 09:58, Ness wrote:
Kent has proven you wrond while still seeing where you are coming, but you have to go and falme him.

I don't even try to prove I'm right. I'm not right, he's not wrong and vice versa, I simply exposed again my reasons he didn't understand in first place (or he didn't want to understand cause of his Square fanboysm).

Stop flaming me, you already received a warning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-23 10:11 ]</font>

Ness
Dec 23, 2002, 05:20 PM
On 2002-12-23 10:03, neko-chan wrote:

On 2002-12-23 09:58, Ness wrote:
Kent has proven you wrond while still seeing where you are coming, but you have to go and falme him.

I don't even try to prove I'm right. I'm not right, he's not wrong and vice versa, I simply exposed again my reasons he didn't understand in first place (or he didn't want to understand cause of his Square fanboysm).

Stop flaming me, you already received a warning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-23 10:11 ]</font>

I'm not flaming you, I'm defending Kent and adding my own opinions about what's said. Kent and I think alike.

If anyone is flaming here thanm it would be you. I have made no harsh gestures to you whatsoever, but I will say this:

If you think disagreeing with you is flaming then you need you rethink your philosophy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2002-12-24 05:54 ]</font>

rbf2000
Dec 24, 2002, 12:08 AM

I thought Metoid Prime was pretty good. It was developed in the US. Same with Eternal Darkness. *shrug*

And, clearly, this thread is supposed to be fun, so you guys need to chill out.

Here's a rule -

Games based on movies/T.V. are BAD.

Ness
Dec 24, 2002, 08:55 AM
On 2002-12-23 21:08, rbf2000 wrote:

Here's a rule -

I will agree to that. Also games based on TV series and girl-oriented games usually suck.

Kent
Dec 25, 2002, 01:44 PM
On 2002-12-23 21:08, rbf2000 wrote:

Goldeneye was one on the Nintendo 64's best games and *gasp* it was based on a movie!

pixelate
Dec 25, 2002, 03:46 PM
#365749648: FPS are old and moldy.

neko-chan
Dec 25, 2002, 05:27 PM
On 2002-12-24 05:55, Ness wrote:

I will agree to that. Also games based on TV series and girl-oriented games usually suck.

Exception: when drunk, and ONLY when drunk, girlie games such as Sabrina or Power Puff Girls on GBA are pretty appealing!

neko-chan
Dec 25, 2002, 05:27 PM
On 2002-12-25 12:46, pixelate wrote:
#365749648: FPS are old and moldy.

God bless pixelate.

Dabra
Dec 25, 2002, 06:34 PM
Here they are:

That's because you like foreign crap. That point is plain opinion and stereotype. Bleh, you were a drunk fool. I forgive ya.

Dabra
Dec 25, 2002, 07:09 PM
On 2002-12-25 14:27, neko-chan wrote:

On 2002-12-24 05:55, Ness wrote:

Exception: when drunk, and ONLY when drunk, girlie games such as Sabrina or Power Puff Girls on GBA are pretty appealing!

Yea uh huh. And I say when drunk, and ONLY when drunk, everything you say sounds intelligent.

In other words, your trying, again, to contradict everyone. You did it with Kent, your doing it with Ness.

P.S. I'm never drunk.

Ness
Dec 25, 2002, 09:18 PM
Rule number... ah screw it: 3D remakes of old classics usually suck.

Dabra
Dec 25, 2002, 09:44 PM
On 2002-12-25 18:18, Ness wrote:
Rule number... ah screw it: 3D remakes of old classics usually suck.

Your lucky Ocarina of time and Metroid prime weren't remake...else i'd slap you,

neko-chan
Dec 26, 2002, 05:07 AM
On 2002-12-25 16:09, Dabra wrote:
P.S. I'm never drunk.

Sure you're not. Your momma forbids you to drink anything but choco milk, honey.

Wow, this thread gathered all the 15 years old annoying kids on the forum. I guess this is the new record.

haterade
Dec 26, 2002, 05:16 AM
Rule 923: If a game says Final Fantasy or SquareSoft on it, it MUST be a good game... according to idiot fanboys...

Rule 924: If that neighbour of yours never goes outside, has never been known to be around friends, and feeds off of his parents, chances are he's a FF fanboy.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

neko-chan
Dec 26, 2002, 05:25 AM
On 2002-12-26 02:16, haterade wrote:
Rule 923: If a game says Final Fantasy or SquareSoft on it, it MUST be a good game... according to idiot fanboys...

Rule 924: If that neighbour of yours never goes outside, has never been known to be around friends, and feeds off of his parents, chances are he's a FF fanboy.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I couldn't find better words to describe the situation. Thanks haterade!

Dabra
Dec 26, 2002, 08:39 PM
On 2002-12-26 02:07, neko-chan wrote:

P.S. I'm never drunk.

Sure you're not. Your momma forbids you to drink anything but choco milk, honey.

Wow, this thread gathered all the 15 years old annoying kids on the forum. I guess this is the new record.

Man Neko, you really are the most annoying crap i ever seen on PSOW. It's like everyone up to the task to confront you has to be blasted by your immature age jokes. 'Oh no, you suck because your a fanboy', 'you can't confront me because your 15','don't talk about my opinion, i'm ALWAYS right'.

Now i'm probably going to get shooted at with stuff like 'boohoo cry me a river, 15yold', or whatever your negative ego can think of.

I really thought you were better. Seriously. You stuck me as a nice person. But considering people below 17 as stupid and retarded is really low.

PS. What if I'm never drunk? I chose to take the other side of the road thank you.

pixelate
Dec 27, 2002, 01:16 AM
Stick to making rules, not who's making them. Try not to hide insults in the rules your post either. Show some holiday spirit!

#1,002: Don't give Santa milk; he's lactose tolerant.

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 04:04 AM
On 2002-12-26 17:39, Dabra wrote:
PS. What if I'm never drunk? I chose to take the other side of the road thank you.

You chose? I doubt. You probably put up a poll in which you asked what was better to drink. As you usual do, after all. Now, this is a proof of maturity, uh?

Gandalf
Dec 27, 2002, 12:22 PM
Few things:

-Neko, you arguing with someone younger than you, if indeed she/he is, makes you just as immature as them.

-No one has disputed the "Consoles bigger than your butt rule" , which i contradict....considering xbox/ps2 are both larger than most ass...

-Drinking does not make you mature/old. People who dont drink are usually the most avant garde.

-Gandalf

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 12:40 PM
On 2002-12-27 09:22, Gandalf wrote:
Few things:
-Neko, you arguing with someone younger than you, if indeed she/he is, makes you just as immature as them.

Vice versa: arguing with me doesn't make them more mature. In addition, I shouldn't talk to anyone here, since the average is 18 or less. Uhm... perhaps it's a good idea: it's better if I stick to General forum.

-Drinking does not make you mature/old.

Sadly, everyone failed to detect irony in the drinking thing. Well... everyone under 16. Maybe because the funniest thing they've ever seen in their little lifes is a episode of the Power Puff Girls.

Kid_Icarus
Dec 27, 2002, 01:15 PM
Actually the funniest thing I saw one time was when this kid did a back flip off the playplace at work and knocked himself out on a metal pipe.

n_n

Rule #12345 If Acclaim's name is on the box, and Sega's is no where to be found, bury it, bury it deep in the ground.

Ah such lovely prose.

Kayumi
Dec 27, 2002, 01:15 PM
I thought Metoid Prime was pretty good. It was developed in the US. Same with Eternal Darkness. *shrug*

Actually, Eternal Darkness was developed by Silicon Knights. They're Canadian.

Their office is also literally two doors up the street from my ghetto apartment.

Dabra
Dec 27, 2002, 01:51 PM
On 2002-12-27 09:22, Gandalf wrote:
Few things:

I don't mind arguing with Neko. As long as it's civil. When the age jokes start then it sucks.

Eum
Dec 27, 2002, 04:04 PM

That made me giggle.

As for random encounters, I hate them. When I'm in an area with random encounters, I move incredibly slow, as if that helps to avoid them. XD

Ness
Dec 27, 2002, 05:43 PM

P.S. I'm never drunk.

We're only annoying becuase we proved you wrong. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Here's another rule: French games have mediocore music.

Also games where you get to stick red hot rods up Neko's ass are pretty good.

Rule #Neko: Games witgh 15 year-olds in them suck, especially when they are smarter than him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2002-12-27 14:48 ]</font>

Maverynthia
Dec 27, 2002, 05:45 PM
rule #666: If it ruled in 2d then it most likely sucks in 3D (Final Fantasy, Castlevania, heck..even PSO has this airy stench of NON-PS to it..)
Sub Rule: If it rules in 2D KEEP it in 2d!!

Rule #345: Games based off of anime, that are made in the US suck.

Rule #244: Games with Japanese dialogue are going to suck when ported to the US, despite the fact the original game was awesome. (Final Fantasy 10, Evolution Worlds, All Working Designs games...)

Legacy of a Wizard is a cool game...I miss it!

Ness
Dec 27, 2002, 05:55 PM
On 2002-12-27 14:45, Maverynthia wrote:
rule #666: If it ruled in 2d then it most likely sucks in 3D (Final Fantasy, Castlevania, heck..even PSO has this airy stench of NON-PS to it..)
Sub Rule: If it rules in 2D KEEP it in 2d!!

Rule #345: Games based off of anime, that are made in the US suck.

Rule #244: Games with Japanese dialogue are going to suck when ported to the US, despite the fact the original game was awesome. (Final Fantasy 10, Evolution Worlds, All Working Designs games...)

Legacy of a Wizard is a cool game...I miss it!

I dissagree with all these rules.

1. Final Fantasy was good and several of those gemase were. Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy were among the few.

2. Pokemon was the best selling videogame series for 2 years.

3.Evolutions Worlds would have sucked anyway. They watered it down too much for "little kids". The only thing they need to do to that game was make it compatable with the Gamecube and that's it. It was a disappointment and I'm having more fun playing Morrowind.

Gandalf
Dec 27, 2002, 06:15 PM
I find it amusing how neco hates children, or anyone younger than 18. It is obviously impossible for anyone under 18 to have a decent opinion. Neco, by default, was always a mature person, who makes fun of minors who do not drink. Note:She was never under the age of 18.

Take a look at my first point on my above post, because I believe you completely miss read it. Two more things:

-Drinking age is 21, but its fact that many under that age still drink. Maturity - Age has nothing to do with it.

-If the average age is 18... in off topic, it is most likely the same in the other forums, considering anyone who posts here posts in generals as well, and vise versa.

Ness
Dec 27, 2002, 07:56 PM
On 2002-12-27 15:15, Gandalf wrote:
I find it amusing how neco hates children, or anyone younger than 18. It is obviously impossible for anyone under 18 to have a decent opinion. Neco, by default, was always a mature person, who makes fun of minors who do not drink. Note:She was never under the age of 18.

Take a look at my first point on my above post, because I believe you completely miss read it. Two more things:

-Drinking age is 21, but its fact that many under that age still drink. Maturity - Age has nothing to do with it.

-If the average age is 18... in off topic, it is most likely the same in the other forums, considering anyone who posts here posts in generals as well, and vise versa.

Neko is a male from Italy that wanbts to be a woman so bad he has tricked people into believing he is one. Maybe he thinks he can get laid if he becomes a girl. Hell if I know.

Eum
Dec 27, 2002, 08:23 PM
Ness = irritating child who doesn't know when to quit.

Tee-her.

Ness
Dec 28, 2002, 04:07 PM
On 2002-12-27 17:23, Vocal wrote:

Tee-her.

That was kida means, especially given the fact that you don't know me.

DirewolfX
Dec 28, 2002, 05:09 PM
1. Legacy of the Wizard was a great game. You just suck at it.

2. RPGs have had random encounters since before video games were invented. Ever play D&D? I think perhaps, you just don't like Random Encounters which automatically switch to the battle mode. Perhaps if 'encounter' mode was more streamlined into 'adventure' mode (like say... Neverwinter Nights or most action-RPGs), it wouldn't be as big of a deal. However, I personally like having some randomness in the game.

Kayumi
Dec 28, 2002, 05:44 PM

Drinking age varies. Here in Ontario it's 19. I believe in Quebec, it's 18. I know in some parts of the world it's 16, or even non-legistlative.

Let's remember that we're citizens of the WORLD here, not of one particular state or nation.

pixelate
Dec 28, 2002, 08:55 PM
On 2002-12-27 17:23, Vocal wrote:

Tee-her.

I know that's a bit of a jab, but for this thread, it holds some truth.

Cut it out, everyone.

Ness
Dec 29, 2002, 10:46 AM
rule #9999999999999: Racing games where getting first plcae and winning the race are two totally different things.