PDA

View Full Version : The hunt for a wii.

AC9breaker
Jul 9, 2007, 09:23 PM
Mission log, 07/09/07

It had been several months that a desire to play with the Nintendo Wii, had been ignited me. Wait, it has in fact actually been several years. Since word first hit the net of this new electronic gaming system as codename Revolution. I knew this was going to be something big-nay something AMAZING-something I MUST PLAY. ...and as time passed, my assessment of this new device was proven to be true with each and every passing day in till finally. The Nintendo Wii was launched. It was madness, Man against man-woman against social norms-kids against vegetables-pepsi versus Coke-alliance versus horde- Goku versus vegeta... The Koreans where afraid that this chaos would envelope their nation and quickly began to gain nuclear leverage in hopes of quelling whatever trouble may come their way in the near future. All thanks to this powerful trinket of Nintendo's!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cheese.gif

In any case, I too desir-no...I lusted for it-I needed it-I HAD to have it. The Nintendo Wii must be in my possession. Nevertheless, a greater power would not have for such a thing; for in the 9 months that have passed in the launch of the Nintendo Wii, my wallet has suffered the slings, and arrows of unfortunate fate. However, the drive I have to own a Nintendo Wii is uncompromising, unyielding, restless, relentless, persevering, and most of all, ABSOLUTE! I have beaten back all the challenges that deny me my Wii; deny me my money, and finally after 9 Months, I can afford a Wii.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Despite all that, fate still chooses to defy my will. I begin my journey to obtain a Wii today at around 1pm. First I head to a local, privately owned, small establishment in the city market. Out of stock. I then head to the beast known as Gamestop, located on the same street. No Wiis where to be found. It seemed I would have to search bigger complexes, so I headed back to mission control and hoped in my chariot and traveled the scorched and blasted land known as New Jersey. 3 Malls, 1 outlet, 9 stores in total, and not a single Wii in stock. Back at mission control, I research several potential sources. But alas, not much luck was had. Then I find this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009VXBAQ/sr=8-1/qid=1184032571/ref=olp_tab_new/102-3251513-4080957?ie=UTF8&coliid=&qid=1184032571&sr=8-1&seller=&colid=&condition=new), WHAT!? Is this a sign of some sort!? IT IS AS IF THE GODS THEMSELVES DEFY MY WILL!!! WHY NINTENDO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

EphekZ
Jul 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
order one online?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 9, 2007, 09:35 PM
On 2007-07-09 19:32, EphekZ wrote:
order one online?

Its also tough to find an online retailer with them in stock. As the amazon link there shows the resellers of Wii in stock but a massive $150 markup.

I've seen only a few in stock ever, the local BestBuy once had 9, gone as soon as they got in.

Its not a must have for me so I didn't splurge on it.

Good luck on your search AC9breaker.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-07-09 19:36 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jul 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
I called my local Bestbuy every Tuesday and Thursday from November on until one day in February they had 12 in stock. I called my Mom on her way home from work an hour later, and she got the second-last one.

They are seriously impossible to find.

chaos89
Jul 9, 2007, 10:54 PM
i found the wii the second day it came out and i found it right away. had to wait on lin e for like only 15 minutes

DikkyRay
Jul 9, 2007, 10:56 PM
thank god i got mine.....all the way across the country.
East coaster, dad was hunting in Nebraska, popped into a random gamestop and picked up the last one.
Just keep it up. If you really want a wii, you may have to travel far.

DurakkenX
Jul 9, 2007, 11:22 PM
wait till like a saturday or sunday and then go to walmart or a "mart" that carries electronics... More than likely they will have a few in stock because they restock their shelves on sunday a lot of times because not many people buy stuff on sundays. I found that out when i had searched for a wii for like 4 months and i was like fuck nowhere carries it, but i was going to walmart for a game and i checked the consoles and lo there were 4 there and I waited for someone to get open to unlock the case and give me my prize, but i moved aways slightly to make sure noone saw that i was glaring at the wii >.> and then finally i got someone over there and he was surprised as i was that they were there and then he was like oh yeah it's sunday we just restocked today and noone buys shyt on sundays really so i was giddy and he was giddy for me...so giddy i forgot to buy the classic controller as well <.<

But anyways you have a long journey ahead of you to find one lol...you could try gamestop online though you have to buy a package deal which isn't s bad i guess.

amtalx
Jul 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
If you really want one, just sit outside for a while. You may feel a little silly standing outside of a store, but I've done it with and ended up with 3 Wiis and an Elite at launch. Just get some friends and a bottle of your favorite liquor. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

trypticon
Jul 10, 2007, 09:58 AM
Waiting in line before a store opens is the easiest way to go about getting one. Wait until a Saturday, and buy an early Sunday Newspaper edition. Check out the sales papers in there, and if you see a Wii advertised in one of them, it means that store is going to have at LEAST one in stock on Sunday morning. You'll know which store to go to at opening time then.

You know, I'm glad I waited in line seven hours for the midnight launch of the Wii. It's amazing to me that, even nine months after being introduced, people are still waiting in line before stores open to grab these things.

Now if they would JUST get some better games!

Solstis
Jul 10, 2007, 10:27 AM
I waited for an hour and a half outside of Target a few months back with some friends. And, we, uh, play with it a lot. Yeah. Because it has great games. :<

Geometry Wars is coming, though.

Neith
Jul 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
On 2007-07-10 07:58, trypticon wrote:

No kidding.. As it stands, I rarely use my Wii at the minute, just because aside from a couple of games, and the virtual console, I don't really have anything else I want for it...yet.

When Smash Brothers and Guitar Hero III get released, my Wii will be on, a lot.

Otis_Kat
Jul 10, 2007, 11:33 AM
On 2007-07-09 21:22, DurakkenX wrote:
wait till like a saturday or sunday and then go to walmart or a "mart" that carries electronics...
Actually Walmart(and many other stores) restock on Tuesdays. Ever wonder why almost every game or movie comes out on Tuesdays?

chaos89
Jul 10, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-07-10 08:56, UrikoBB3 wrote:

No kidding.. As it stands, I rarely use my Wii at the minute, just because aside from a couple of games, and the virtual console, I don't really have anything else I want for it...yet.

When Smash Brothers and Guitar Hero III get released, my Wii will be on, a lot.

i though gt3 was for only the ps3 and 360 but hearing this made my day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
and hearing this stories mim surprised at how hard it is to get a wii >_< the day after i bought mine i went with my friend to buy a wii since he was gonna buy one and we went to that same toysrus where i bought and again there were plenty of wiis and not that many ppl

Nemhy
Jul 10, 2007, 09:19 PM
I got mine off ebay last christmas for $300 *shipping included* and it cane with a 2GB mem card

Blitzkommando
Jul 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
I lucked out with mine at launch. The Base Exchange runs a raffle (a ticket to get to purchase) with every console release and I lucked out with the Wii, and also when the GameCube was released the same thing happened. Sure that sounds great until I realize the only time I've won anything is when I've won the chance to pay for something. Now what took forever was tracking down another one of those silly remotes! I didn't have a second one until somewheres in late March! I'm still flabbergasted at just how amazingly successful the Wii has been doing even with hardly any AAA titles. Once Brawl comes out though... I can just imagine the insanity.

VioletSkye
Jul 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

Amen to that. I love my Wii but it's seriously hurting for something I want to play right now.

AC9breaker
Jul 10, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-07-10 19:31, Norvekh wrote:
I'm still flabbergasted at just how amazingly successful the Wii has been doing even with hardly any AAA titles. Once Brawl comes out though... I can just imagine the insanity.

I'm thinking the same thing. Watch this Holiday season be crazy.

The way I see it, it was about a year after the DS was released that I started having an interest in their games. While the Wii may be a bit slow going now, I can imagine its gonna being an Avalanche once the real meat starts coming in, like Smash brothers or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles which is suppose to use your DS as a controller and even be online. I mean just look at the 360, the launch lineup was total shit, but now, they've got a bunch of awesome games. I know I'm eventually gonna get a 360 and Wii, but right now I want a Wii first.

Sekani
Jul 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ironically the easiest opportunity to get a Wii was when it launched. After that....

I got mine slightly used from a friend, lucky me.

A co-worker of mine used her employee advantage. We deliver Nintendo stuff (including Wiis) to Walmart and Best Buy. One morning when dropping off a box of Wii consoles at Walmart she apparently talked the receiver into holding a system for her. She picked it up when she got off of work that day.

PALRAPPYS
Jul 10, 2007, 11:59 PM
Don't worry yourself too much... unless you buy a lot of games for the Wii, more than likely I'm guessing you won't be playing it tons after your 1st month.

But then again, that's me. Hope you get one soon! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

hollowtip
Jul 11, 2007, 12:38 AM
Holy shit there are STILL shortages of wiis? Wow... Unbelievable. I haven't played my Wii in about 3 months because of school, but this is ridiculous. Even if it is an extremely popular console, this is unacceptable that there are still shortages of nintendo's next gen console.

wally world is your best bet. I called randomly one day and they said they got 8 in that day. I was one of the lucky ones.

DurakkenX
Jul 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
there isn't really shortages according to a report i saw on the news a while ago...nintendo isn't sending more than a few at a time to places and maintain a fairly large supply not sent, believed to be a ploy to maintain hype that it is selling extremely well even though it is only selling moderately...

trypticon
Jul 11, 2007, 11:28 AM
On 2007-07-11 08:51, DurakkenX wrote:
there isn't really shortages according to a report i saw on the news a while ago...nintendo isn't sending more than a few at a time to places and maintain a fairly large supply not sent, believed to be a ploy to maintain hype that it is selling extremely well even though it is only selling moderately...

Not true. The Wii is selling very well in all market areas, which is leading to the shortage, despite Nintendo stepping up production trying to maintain supply. You can look at the end of month sales reports for systems to see that the Wii is outselling the other systems by a nice margin.

Powder Keg
Jul 13, 2007, 06:07 PM
Find out when stores are going to get them, sometimes they have ad breaks starting on Sundays with limited quantities and people will line up at the doors for them as if it were still christmas.

My store gets 30+ every month or so, and they're gone in less than a half hour the morning they arrive.

To be honest, I really don't play mine very much at all. There aren't many impressive games out for it right now, same as the 360 when that was released. By this December (Smash Brothers) this thing is going to explode even worse than it has been...and I know mine'll be on nonstop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2007-07-13 16:10 ]</font>