PDA

View Full Version : PSOBB: PSOBB being dumb

kohle
Jul 11, 2007, 10:45 PM
So I'm away at summer school, but I brought my laptop with me (who wouldn't?), and I decide that I want to play PSOBB.... so I download the client and install it. No problems yet. I enter my username/password, log on, choose my character, etc. and it crashes - some time after "Connecting..." disappears, but before Ship Select comes up. I've messed with all the settings in the Options window; nothing seems to help. My software is all the same as what I have on my computer at home (Windows 2000, DirectX 9), and it works fine there. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips/answers? I'd be greatly appreciative.

VioletSkye
Jul 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
try installing this, then run PSU

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b406cf67-d926-463b-99e8-27199d6626b5&DisplayLang=en

What type of connection are you using where you're at? Cable? DSL? T connection? Is the connection running through the school's network?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-07-11 20:57 ]</font>

kohle
Jul 12, 2007, 11:55 AM
All right, I'll give that a shot. I honestly don't know what kind of internet connection there is here, but it's wireless and it's fast. I'm fairly certain it's not a network problem, though, since it patches itself without any problems and Character Select works.

kohle
Jul 13, 2007, 01:07 PM
*bump*

Thank you for your suggestion - but PSOBB still crashes at the "Connecting..." screen. Here's the error message:
// The instruction at "0x77fcb3ad" referenced memory at "0x43180000". The memory could not be "written".

It looks like a bug that used to crop up in programs that I'd written when calling free() - though I can't imagine why PSO would have such a bug. Any other suggestions?

VioletSkye
Jul 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
Do you have the Service Pack 4? if so do you have the rollup for SP 4? Possibly worse case scenario, back up your data and reinstall SP4.

kohle
Jul 13, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah; my Windows 2000 disc came with SP4 on it. I don't have the disc with me, though, so I may be screwed in that aspect. I don't want to be PSO-less for a long time; perhaps I'll ask the same question at the Sega boards and see what they say about it. Thank you for your help.