PDA

View Full Version : Let's upgrade the computer using 700% of our intended budget

KodiaX987
Jul 13, 2007, 11:57 PM
Surprised?

My predicament is due to part bad luck and part poor planning on my part, resulting in a situation that, if it was to be done again, I could've done in half the time, with half the hassle and twice the knowledge.

First of all, remember how S.T.A.L.K.E.R. physically damaged by graphics card (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=145360&forum=11&14). Following that event, I went to the store and picked myself up a shiny new Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro. Ka-ching!

200$

Not bad, two hundred bucks and I'm back in action, good to last all the way 'till next year. Unfortunately, I run into a new problem: a CPU bottleneck. Old games work much better, but newer games perform worse than before. A bit of chatting around confirms the bottleneck, meaning I got to get a new CPU, the mobo to put it on, the RAM to make the mobo work, and the power supply to handle all that new load, plus a 160 gigabyte SATA hard drive for miscellaneous tasks I needed to have done while I was at it. Cost of the whole thing: eleven hundred dollars. That brings us to:

1300$

I get home and empty my case. I love my case. It's a beautiful case, it's a sexy case, and I want to keep it no matter what. I painstakingly unscrew and unplug everything and place it all wherever I can find spots in my room. Once my case is devoid of parts, I begin reassembling everything.

Then something hits me. There is a single IDE channel. That is a problem: I have two IDE hard drives and one IDE DVD drive. Don't tell me I gotta replace one of those HDs with a SATA one? What's the price of a 250 GB SATA anyway? 75 bucks?

1375$

I plug in the minimum amount of parts: graphics card, a hard disk, the DVD drive and the floppy. Practically, I'll need one of the IDE HDs since it happens to have the boot records stored there but I'll take care of it tomorrow. My only goal right now is to turn on the computer, verify the proper lights are on and setup the BIOS to my liking before I go to bed.

I turn everything on and check up the numbers. Alert: CPU temperature at 40 degrees Celcius and rising. Considering my Athlon 3200 did 40 degrees under the heaviest load, I have concerns.

First, I find out my case isn't "temperature friendly". Ideally, I need a case with a side panel that has one of those pipes that reaches almost near the CPU. Next, minutes after I boot up, WC alerts me of a defect in the CPU's heatsink (http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm)! I look up possible solutions to the problem (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/578129.html) but only find pieces of advice that contradict each other. For some, 35 degrees is the apocalypse. For others, 55 degrees is chilly. The CPU's manual tells me absolutely nothing of the thresholds. It's WC who eventually informs me that he found out the maximum temperature for my CPU was 60 degrees Celcius, and hovering above 50 was asking for trouble.

Where does that lead? A new case? A replacement heatsink? Can we say we'll easily reach another 75$ here?...

And thus, I went from what was supposed to be a 200$ quick and easy fix, to a monstruous, integral computer replacement reaching 1375$ and rising.

It's not bad for a new PC, considering the quality of the parts I got and the power I know they are capable of. The problem is: I didn't want to buy a new PC!

Sord
Jul 14, 2007, 01:40 AM
wow, you got nailed, hard. I just recently got done working out the kinks in a custom built computer I recieved for christmas... 2 years ago. They were top of the line then, so they're still good/decent now... after I've fixed all the conflicts. Lots of video stuff, lots of motherboard stuff. Thank god for the internet and last year's IT classes.

Having to get one of those pipe cooling system sure as hell not going to be cheap on top of all that. Man, really sucks for you. I'd say I sympathize with you, but that stops on the money bit. I'd have to pull out a credit card for all that stuff.

Shiryuu
Jul 14, 2007, 05:03 AM
Couldn't you just have returned the graphics card and get a similar one to the original?

Rainbowlemon
Jul 15, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'm gonna guess, from the link, that you're using a core 2 duo. Safe temperatures are about 55-60 degrees. I had the same problem as you when I got my C2D (if that's what you have -_-). I bought an arctic freezer 7 pro cooler for equivalent of $30, and it was nice and stable after that.

But yeah, I feel your annoyance - it's become harder nowadays to just upgrade one component in a pc, unless you're completely futureproofed...I went through pretty much exactly the same process you've been through about 4 months ago. I just thought, feck it, I'm gonna go the whole hog and not upgrade again for 3 years =)

And now I'm broke.