PDA

View Full Version : The laws of technology.

KodiaX987
Jul 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
Looking back at my recent "upgrade" experience, I realized what I thought were trends are becoming standards. I realized that the world of technology operates on a set of completely arbitrary laws and rules, created by rumors and superstitions, and whether the laws are true or not, they can and they will be applied anyway regardless of the logic (or lack of) behind it.

I touched my first computer when I was about eight years old. Since then, I gradually learned more: working with Windows, installing parts, programming, databases, servers - I can assemble and setup my own box the way I want it rather easily, and I believe myself to be knowledgeable enough to at least know what I want when I perform a task or go shopping or whatever.

Still, despite everything I learned, the same problems keep plaguing me, year after year.

LEET'S LAW: No matter your level of experience with hardware and the deal you got, someone in the world has built a machine that's better, faster and more balanced than yours for much less money.

MOORE'S HIDDEN RULE: The parts you have just bought are already rendered obsolete by newer parts announced the day you bought yours and slated to come out in six months.

MIMIC'S FIRST LAW: No matter the amount of research you have done, you will find out only after you've installed all your parts that your system has an inherent critical flaw that makes it much suckier than what all the reviews you read beforehand claim.

MIMIC'S SECOND LAW: Your setup, in theory, is claimed as the best you can buy and everyone supports you plan. However, as soon as you buy and install your parts, your setup becomes the example of what not to buy, according to the same people who gave praises the day before.

BULLET TIME LAW: Although technology moves forward every day, everyone must still rely on a critical part that wants to work with nothing but legacy hardware and drivers, even though that part came onto the market yesterday.

FIGHT CLUB RULE: You do not talk about your computer setup. You do not talk about your computer setup.

And finally:

TECHNOLOGY'S UNIVERSAL RULE: Any and all advice and suggestions you get from your entourage will fully contradict a piece of advice you got previously from another person. The more you ask for advice, the more the contradictions pile up on each other. Assuming all the advice you get is true and sincere, then everyone you talked to is a complete idiot, your computer will be overpriced, underpriced, overpowered and underpowered all at once. No matter how much time you let pass to get the dust to settle, even after an infinite amount of years, no one will be able to come to a consensus as to the quality of the computer you set up, and you will be left in the dark more completely than ever before.

Firocket1690
Jul 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
meh? build your computer the way you like it, and be happy with it. Most of the aforementioned rules are based on social commentary anyway. Why do you care what others think about your computer setup? If it works for you, then be happy.

AC9breaker
Jul 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
LOL, this is a great rant!

KodiaX987
Jul 14, 2007, 11:09 AM
On 2007-07-14 08:02, Firocket1690 wrote:
meh? build your computer the way you like it, and be happy with it. Most of the aforementioned rules are based on social commentary anyway. Why do you care what others think about your computer setup? If it works for you, then be happy.

Because the opinions of others provide a safety net. When it works.

Actually, a better example will be the conversation I had at the computer shop. Let's call the guy Joe. We know each other pretty well and I did business with him several times before.

On Mobos:
Me: I'm going to upgrade my computer. I need a CPU, a mobo and some RAM, and I'm eyeing those parts. *hands sheet to Joe*
Joe: All right, so between those mobos you got on your list, I'll suggest [this one]. It's a good board, it's proven itself, it's mature and I've worked with a good couple of them before and they all worked like a charm.
Me: Any comments on [that other mobo]?
Joe: I don't really like it, myself. I find it a bit too gizmo. [The first mobo] has more concrete functionalities for the same price anyway - you know, the things you need to make the computer run well, instead of LEDs everywhere.

On CPUs:
Joe: With quad core, you won't get that much of a boost... Remember Pentium D? Intel made it so that the two cores had to go through the motherboard to talk to each other. The thing flopped, and flopped hard, for obvious reasons.
Me: That makes no logical sense...
Joe: Yep, so that's why Intel reviewed their stuff and then launched the Core and the Core 2. AMD had looked at Pentium D and did it right with the Athlon X2. So now, the Core 2 processor cores actually talk to each other direct, face to face. Quad doesn't.
Me: You mean they repeated the Pentium D mistake on it?
Joe: That's basically it. Two dual-cores, which talk to each other via the mobo.
Me: So Core 2 Duo at least is optimised in a sense.
Joe: Yes. With the Duo, we know that the power we have in potential is the power we'll get in reality - at least pretty darn close to it.

If everyone talked like that, there'd be less flamewars on Earth. He's one of the very few people I know who will discuss computer parts without yelling "WTF U IDIOT" every sentence.

DurakkenX
Jul 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
Firstly... computers are largely based on quantum physics now adays so them being hard to judge is kinda obvious

second... Thats what the benchmark software programs are for....

third... My opinion that however knowledgeable you may be with computers from reading your other topic I'm gonna say you are either not to wise or don't know as much as you think. No offense but there were much simpler solutions than buying a whole new system...

Mystil
Jul 14, 2007, 11:27 AM
Unless all advice doesn't contradict, it's best you looking to things yourself.

My new computer coming was recommended by everyone I asked advice on.

Some of them though who tell other less hardware literate people will steer them in the wrong way, like suggesting that the most expensive video card will run oblivion, when all you need is a 6600-7900GT to run it WITHOUT loading issues. It's ok to want to play on max settings but the point is to be able to "play" the game period.

When building a comp, get the stuff you know well about and comfortable with, and ask questions on the parts you don't understand. Gather all info from people, and do a long search on the suggested items.

Yes stuff goes obsolete fast but not if all you need that obsolete item for is to run a 5 year old app.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-07-14 09:29 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jul 14, 2007, 12:13 PM
On 2007-07-14 09:16, DurakkenX wrote:
third... My opinion that however knowledgeable you may be with computers from reading your other topic I'm gonna say you are either not to wise or don't know as much as you think. No offense but there were much simpler solutions than buying a whole new system...

Yeah, I know. I could've gone about it in a much better way. On one hand, changing the guts is nice - it was bound to happen eventually. On the other hand, the ideal scenario would've been me doing a full upgrade closer to Christmastime, or maybe even Winter 2008 - either way, the key word is later.

I had this in my mind when the Stalker thing happened, so rather than say "Crap, guess I'll replace the graphics card." I went "Well, let's buy the graphics card right away with knowledge of a future upgrade - that'll be one less part to buy later on", effectively leading to the drunken catalyst you saw. Because when you have other projects clouding your judgement, you think you've just had a stroke of genius.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 15, 2007, 02:37 AM
Eh, laws. As that one pirate said, they're more like guidelines.

I've had the same old, fizzled out computer for the past 4-5 years and I'm completely satisfied with it, for the most part. I guess these problems only show up when you try to create some state of the art machine, because yes there will always be something better developing...might as well settle for what's the best as of now.

Sekani
Jul 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
Especially when it comes to upgrading computers, those laws are some of the truest statements I've ever read.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
I don't build 'em, I pay someone to build the system (with pre-agreed performance specs), and only give them the money if the computer performs to spec.

That way, I've hedged my bet. I pay amore, but I know what I'm getting. Maybe someone else has something better, but I get to see it in action.

Kent
Jul 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
On 2007-07-14 07:01, KodiaX987 wrote:
FIGHT CLUB RULE: You do not talk about your computer setup. You do not talk about your computer setup - mainly because it'll turn into non-stop rambling narrative that's so boring it puts people to sleep, and never should've been made in the first place, after showing how drastically horrible it really is.

...Fixed.