PDA

View Full Version : Real smooth move, Ubisoft. Real smooth move.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
So, I finally get myself going and get a copy of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for the pc, after loving the demo. Turns out that, even after the two patches, it doesn't work at all. Even after installing STEAM(ing pile of shit) for multiplayer and to get the single player 1.3/1.4 patches, which it doesn't want to install for me. So I go to the official boards and see a message from the devs posted in May. Only 6 months out and they decide to stop supporting it in favor of the 360 version coming out.

Thanks, Ubisoft. Thanks for making us pay to beta test another game.

Then again, Ubisoft does have one of the worst track record with pc games. Pools of Radiance- Ruins of Myth Drannor anyone? Where uninstalling it could take out your operating system? >_<

ABDUR101
Jul 16, 2007, 12:08 PM
Wow, glad to hear I only tried the demo, heh. Interesting that they stopped support so quickly. Thats quite a shoddy developer only interested in pushing titles really; means they either don't have the man-power to dedicate to projects, or don't desire to 'waste' manpower on former products.

Dev's and publishers like that I tend to stay away from, just by abit of principle. If they can't stand by their product and assist those who buy into it, why buy into it to begin with?

DurakkenX
Jul 16, 2007, 12:23 PM
Bananas are delicious...Ubisoft sux....i don't think I've bought anything from them in the last 10 years...

amtalx
Jul 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
I work with some of the devs from Ubi. They actually aren't that bad, although I've never worked with their PC stuff. They are French, so they can be frustrating to work with at times...but there are definitely worse people.

Blitzkommando
Jul 16, 2007, 03:59 PM
Ubisoft has always had poor PC support. I have Dark Messiah as well, but I ended up with it free with some hardware I bought a while back so I haven't really bothered with it myself. I've always had an overall good experience with Steam myself except with the old Half-Life mods where the options menu doesn't display correctly so I can't change controls. But, that's likely because it was built for the pre-Steam version of Half-Life which used a different menu system anyway. I do know that there are ISPs though that like blocking Steam traffic to conserve bandwidth which is a crock of shit indeed. Others cap Steam traffic, which, again is a steaming crock of shit on the fault of the ISP.

malice_nyc
Jul 16, 2007, 04:23 PM
D&D games have gone steadily downhill since SSI stopped making them in the 90's.

As for Ubisoft, they treat PCs like an afterthought compared to consoles... on my last PC, I got several Ubi games with my then-awesome 6600... and they were all way worse than the PS/2 versions >_>

I'm not sure what being French would have to do with it though... je les aime <3

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 16, 2007, 09:41 PM
In Ubisoft's defense, they are responsible for Shadowbane (http://www.shadowbane.com/us/), which seems to be the single best MMO for PvP, to date. Also, my understanding was that they were based in Eastern Canada, rather than France?

Solstis
Jul 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
French Canadian probably is not the same thing as French. At least, probably to the French. Montreal has had a game industry boom, I think.

Some creative stuff comes out of there, but apparently unstable and creative stuff.

KodiaX987
Jul 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
Ubisoft is French. Like many software companies, they expanded to Montreal.

ZodiacNKnight
Jul 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yea.........
I had to play doctor with my registry just because of Myst V.
Otherwise it wouldn't let me uninstall/reinstall it properly.
Never seen a company manage to fuck something like that up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-07-17 15:09 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Jul 17, 2007, 05:24 PM
On 2007-07-17 15:06, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
Yea.........
I had to play doctor with my registry just because of Myst V.
Otherwise it wouldn't let me uninstall/reinstall it properly.
Never seen a company manage to fuck something like that up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-07-17 15:09 ]</font>

Like I mentioned before, Pools of Radiance- Ruins of Myth Drannor would take out your ENTIRE OS when uninstalling it, unless you either install two patches or have XP.

KodiaX987
Jul 17, 2007, 06:02 PM
Have you guys looked at Test Drive Unlimited lately?

Notable glitches involved boot.ini vanishing when you uninstalled the game. Oops?

They recently released a patch, though. Not only did the major bugs not get fixed, they even managed to create new ones!

SStrikerR
Jul 18, 2007, 08:32 AM
On 2007-07-16 11:09, amtalx wrote:
I work with some of the devs from Ubi. They actually aren't that bad, although I've never worked with their PC stuff. They are French, so they can be frustrating to work with at times...but there are definitely worse people.

LIES!

SStrikerR
Jul 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
On 2007-07-16 09:15, Blue-Hawk wrote:
So, I finally get myself going and get a copy of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for the pc, after loving the demo. Turns out that, even after the two patches, it doesn't work at all. Even after installing STEAM(ing pile of shit) for multiplayer and to get the single player 1.3/1.4 patches, which it doesn't want to install for me. So I go to the official boards and see a message from the devs posted in May. Only 6 months out and they decide to stop supporting it in favor of the 360 version coming out.

Thanks, Ubisoft. Thanks for making us pay to beta test another game.

Then again, Ubisoft does have one of the worst track record with pc games. Pools of Radiance- Ruins of Myth Drannor anyone? Where uninstalling it could take out your operating system? >_<

wow that sucks XD. thats bulls***