PDA

View Full Version : Damn Bible Thumpers

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Jul 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
OK theres this guy who lives next door to me (a family just moved in to our street about a 2 months ago) and one of the guys who is about my age is one fucking bible thumper.

hes hella annoying. Anyways he says hes a mormon, and their hella religious. I was in his house and i stubed my toe. i sed shit and he said please dont say that in our house we dont do that here. I was right next to a picture of jesus too LOL. anyways then he keeps asking me if i wana come to his church. of course i dont wana.

That shithole wont leave me alone every day he asks, "can you come to church with me on sunday?" its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying. Ive told him no a lot of times but that damnd bible thumper is one pushy bastard. Plus at their chirch they have boy scouts every wednesday. (After hearing about alex craigs topic about his scoutmasters, i reeli didnt wana go plus i heard scoutmasters are gay or somethin) anyways he hella bothers me to come to his church or boyscouts. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!! i reaaly need yer help. Thank you

AlexCraig
Jul 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
How old are you? If you are old enough and financially stable, you could move out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
But in all seriousness, that does suck. The most you caould probably do would be sit down with him and tell him flat out that you do not want to go to his church and tell him your reasonings behind it. If that doesn't stop him, blow him off.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Jul 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
I wish i could move out but i cant :(( <-- sad dubl chin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_Montague on 2007-07-17 16:22 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jul 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
I would agree with AlexCraig. And if what he suggested doesn't work, I would take rather drastic measures. What exactly those measures would be...I'm not sure.

Solstis
Jul 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
Uh. Okay.

Follow the house rules (within reason) or don't go there. I don't curse in front of my parents (often), and it isn't for any religious reason.

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 06:36 PM
Best thing to do is to freak him out... keeps people away plenty. Mormons are fairly nice people, but at the same time they are also idiots and as such should be treated as idiots. Most of them are indoctrinated from birth so they really don't question how dumb they really do sound.

You could also tell him that you will say "fuck" every time he asks you to come to his church.

EphekZ
Jul 17, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, about him asking you not to curse in his house is perfectly reasonable. as for you other problem, tell him you're gay.

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2007, 06:59 PM
What the fuck is wrong with all of you? Sol is the only one who gave decent, straight forward advice.

One, you're in that guy's house; respect their rules. If someone came in my house and started saying offensive things that I did'nt approve of, you'd get told about it, we'd be nice about it the first time; but after that we'd steadily be real cunts about it.

Two, he's a mormon, and as such some religions have the church and what they beleive in, in all aspects of their life, not just what they do on sunday and when they pray at a meal. Show respect for that; unless you actually speak the fuck up and give a reason WHY you don't want to goto church with him, how is he going to know? Maybe he thinks you're actually busy and just can't go; and him offering isn't to brainwash you, he's being polite and trying to do something with you. Church is more than just fire and brimstone; there's a social aspect to it. You goto church and meet people, and since it's church and you know everyone there; there's a sense of trust involved.

If you don't want to go, just say hey, I appreciate you offering for me to go, but I have different beleifs and (this is where you explain to him your beleifs so he gets an idea of who you are). And it's as simple as that.

Scoutmasters are homosexual? Are you stupid? Thats rather offensive; as if homosexuals are also pedophiles. How old are you again? If your info is correct, I'm actually not surprised how badly you're handling all of this.

Durakken, really, stupid advice. Watamelun muscle much? Get a clue and atleast give half-decent advice rather than fuel the fire of idiocy, you're really one to talk on that matter.

AlexCraig
Jul 17, 2007, 07:06 PM
Actually, Abdur, I did say sit down with him and talk to him about it.

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
no seriously mormons are idiots... they don't get the point no matter what you say to them... most don't and once they realize your not interested in their religion most will shut off completely save for trying to get you to believe in their religion.

And my advice is great...he won't ask him ever again!

Solstis
Jul 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-07-17 16:36, DurakkenX wrote:
Best thing to do is to freak him out... keeps people away plenty. Mormons are fairly nice people, but at the same time they are also idiots and as such should be treated as idiots. Most of them are indoctrinated from birth so they really don't question how dumb they really do sound.

You could also tell him that you will say "fuck" every time he asks you to come to his church.

Whazzat? That's terrible advice! Not to mention that you sound pretty indoctrinated, eh? Did a mormon kick your dog? Oh, nah, I can't claim that you're indoctrinated, because indoctrinated people are automatically stupid. I'm not rude like that.

And, Montag, I can understand wanting to get away from people, even coming up with silly plans when I was younger, but they were silly plans. I'm sure that he's just trying to be nice.

Sinue_v2
Jul 17, 2007, 07:50 PM
If you don't want to go, just say hey, I appreciate you offering for me to go, but I have different beleifs and (this is where you explain to him your beleifs so he gets an idea of who you are). And it's as simple as that.

I've tried that with Jehova's Witnesses, all it accomplishes is a three hour religious debate - and they still come back once a month to see if I've "changed my mind" and drop off their pamphlets. I'm a weird mix of Gnostic/Atheist/Roman Catholic - so they truely have their work cut out for them. But, then again - those are Jehova's Witnesses... not Mormons.

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
Mormons and JW are expected to try and save people, it's in their beleifs and common practice for them to go amongst the area they live and preach. They aren't breaking down doors, or being dickheads, it's just something they are expected to do; and lets be frank, if you're a mormon or JW and your beleifs tell you that God expects you to go preach the good word; you're not going to dick around. You want to do your good deed as you and your family and church see it, and your duty to God.

And if you're getting drawn into three hour debates, thats on you because you keep fueling the fire and open things for discussion. Thats their purpose, to have you see their side of things. Say no thanks and shut the door, end of discussion. If the same people keep coming back, one, repeat the first step, or say look, I've told you no, if you keep coming back I'll call the police next time.

Durakken; watah mellun muscle. Nuff said. You know whats worse than someone trying to spread their beleifs? Someone who automatically feels better than someone who adheres to a religious beleif and feels exhalted above others. Pot, Kettle, Black.

And yeah Alex, congrats, you did say to talk about it or to blow him off.

AlexCraig
Jul 17, 2007, 08:38 PM
Is that not what you just said? "Say no thanks and shut the door"?
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's pretty much what I said only with more words.

VanHalen
Jul 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
I don't see anything wrong with him asking you politely(well you made it seem polite) to not swear in his house. If your in someone else's home you go by their rules. If you don't like the rules don't visit their house(I have a story with that but I don't think anyone would read it).

The church thing, well say you don't believe in the same things he does.

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
On 2007-07-17 18:38, AlexCraig wrote:
Is that not what you just said? "Say no thanks and shut the door"?
Quote:

That's pretty much what I said only with more words.

Yeah, we agree on how to handle something; what do you want, a badge? I'm not seeing why you're pointing it out?

AlexCraig
Jul 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
You said earlier that Solstis was the only person on the ball. But all you really did was say the same thing I did. I was confused.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
People like that can be annoying, I agree, but as Sol said, you should respect them. People always try and come to me and ask if I want to join a church. I tell them the truth in return. Although I was adopted at 8 days into a jewish family and raised that way, after years of seeing the flaws of religion I have decided to become more of an agnostic. IE I stopped believing in religion.

Although, many people think that agnostics don't believe in God, that's false. Those are athiests.

Just explain why you don't wish to go there. If he persists, then just do what I do in that case. Tune them out untill they get the point and leave you alone.

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
Look, you are using the exact same level of rudeness as me cept without the cussing. Frankly, unlike most people her I've actually spoken with Jehova Witnesses and Mormons, and others of these religious groups that choose to go around and preach and not just on one occasion or something. Their belief is silly at best in most of the areas, their persistent, and they are rude in that they do not respect that you have already declined them NOR do they respect general societal ettiquite (yeah that's spelled wrong) with their going from door to door. They come early AND they knock on the door for 10+ minutes if noone answers.

I have friends that are both mormons and witnesses and they are nice for the most part, but when it comes to what their religion says or when recruiting they become extremely rude and aggrivating. The best way to deal with this either ignore them, which often enough doesn't work, freak them out with something, OR abuse their good nature (though that one hasn't worked)

BTW Indoctrinated means that you have a been taught or imbued with a set of doctrine, principle, ideology based on a set of a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view. So to use such a term on me is horribly wrong. See I have neither been taught or imbued with any principles, ideology, or doctrines so I can't be indoctrinated ^.^

Blue-Hawk...agnostic is a slur on those christians in the early 1st century that called themselves the gnostics, which means knowledge, while agnostic means without knowledge, which means they do not know whether there is a god, gods, or nothing. Atheists on the other hand aren't those who do not believe in gods, but that believe nothing at all which is fairly hard to be...even the most atheist person out there is more a humanist than an atheist. Funny thing is though that the closest thing to true atheism is a philosopher named Hume who was an empiricist and even he had basic beliefs of how things worked and such.

though funnier still is the fact that if an atheist ever existed it would be the ultimate perfect god that all these religions strive to be more like...

Sinue_v2
Jul 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
Actually, the Gnostic religion was created in the first century under the belief that they were privy to a secret and higher knowledge of the divine - whereas the term agnostic was coined in 1869 by Thomas Huxley on the basis that all knowledge is based on reason, and that knowledge cannot extend beyond the scope of human intellect (such as the divine). Gnostics believe that the Old Testament god of Abraham is an evil wrathful diety, and that Jesus Christ was the messiah of a more benevolent god we had forgotten. Agnostics believe that there is a god, but we cannot comprehend the true nature of god or his motivations. The two beliefs are not in contrast, as agnostic is a broad definition referring to multiple religions. They only sound similar.

So actually, I made a screw-up when I listed earlier that I held gnostic beliefs, whereas I am actually agnostic. You're right though, that the words spring from Greek in meaning "Knowledge" and "Without Knowledge" - however "Agnostic" was never coined as a slur or a derogatory remark. It's simply an admission that moral minds cannot comprehend the divine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-17 20:29 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jul 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
You're such a well of knowledge, if only you could put it to good use.

trypticon
Jul 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-07-17 17:50, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I've tried that with Jehova's Witnesses, all it accomplishes is a three hour religious debate - and they still come back once a month to see if I've "changed my mind" and drop off their pamphlets. I'm a weird mix of Gnostic/Atheist/Roman Catholic - so they truely have their work cut out for them. But, then again - those are Jehova's Witnesses... not Mormons.

I had a pair of them coming back to me every month for about three years to see if I'd changed my mind. I moved out, and they still came around monthly for about half a year before giving the fuck up.

Solstis
Jul 18, 2007, 03:09 AM
I took offense at your claim that all Mormons are idiots, rather than the more persistent sorts (which, probably, are idiots).

It is almost impossible to not be indoctrinated, the extent of the indoctrination depends on your upbringing. For example, I view the Japanese in a somewhat negative light in general, I like garlic and believe in its power, and I have a fear of being in American cars.

I am suggesting that your negative views of Mormons and other panhandlers of religion came from a parental source, or something similar. It you had been brought up to think that being consistently bugged about religion was a great thing, I'm sure that you would have no problem with them, aside from teenage rebellion or something. Indoctrination has little to do with intelligence, but on awareness.

A child or depressed person is not equipped to handle brainwashing. That does not mean that they are stupid (well, children kind-a are).

DurakkenX
Jul 18, 2007, 03:38 AM
Nope...I didn't generate this opinion of them until I read their book of mormon and met them and learned their history. BTW when I say idiot I don't mean stupid...as I have friends and I don't have stupid friends that are mormon. I more mean it in a sense of noobness. They lack experience or information or choose to be unaware or are ignorant.

Also btw... their "church" isn't that bad....in fact there was hardly any talk of their religion in their church. It was more like a meeting than what you normally would expect. I would assume since most of their preaching is done through individual teaching it's not done there.

I have a unique upbringing so trust me i have very little indoctrinization if any at all.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
DurakkenX- Just quit while you are behind. There is NO way to debate this without someone getting offended, and you are just being more of an instigator on that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-07-18 05:44 ]</font>

Thalui89
Jul 18, 2007, 08:18 AM
My advice is is that you should explain to him that your belief's are different to those of his and that you feel awkward when he persistently asks you to attend church with him. If it continues then I personally would limit contact with him.

amtalx
Jul 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
You should go to their house and force your beliefs on them...with a hammer.

DurakkenX
Jul 18, 2007, 02:50 PM
On 2007-07-18 05:40, Blue-Hawk wrote:
DurakkenX- Just quit while you are behind. There is NO way to debate this without someone getting offended, and you are just being more of an instigator on that.

Those who get offended need to be kicked off the planet v.v

PJ
Jul 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
You're stupid.

Were you offended by it? Cause it's true.

Ryna
Jul 18, 2007, 04:45 PM
This topic has gone from a call for suggestions into a heated discussion about Mormonism. Given the current direction of the thread, I don't see the situation improving. As such, this thread is being locked.