PDA

View Full Version : The simple truth... (rant)

Ghen
Dec 21, 2002, 05:07 PM
*I'd prefer that this doesn't get moved to rants, cuz no one will see it then. But I'm not a mod so whatever.

**ALL credit for this little piece of literature goes to hoorayforpunkrock. He's got a site at http://www.wumarkus.com. Check him out and read this for your own good. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

It's time we had a little talk. It's time you and I sat down and took a good look at you, how you conduct yourself online, how you represent yourself, and how you treat other people you come across. What I am going to say will often be hurtful, but it is for your own good. Your parents did a shitty fucking job, and I am left to pick up the pieces.

I don't care if you take drugs. Knock yourself out. While I don't take drugs (anymore), I am in no position to tell you what to do with your life. I should tell you, however, that talking about drugs online makes you look like a goddamn moron. First of all, you are playing a videogame with people that are as young as ten years old- you might want to be a bit more responsible. Second, you are playing a videogame with people who understand just how childish and stupid drug culture is. Look, taking drugs is fun and all- embracing that juvenile drug culture is fucking pathetic.

You aren't tough. You can't kick my ass in real life. Stop talking like a tough guy. This is a fantasy role playing game. You are not going to fight me, you are not going to shoot me. You are going to sit on your couch and play a videogame. Drop the fucking macho act. You sound like an idiot.

You aren't very smart. You can't spell, and your vocabulary is atrocious. Some tips: "Alot" is actually "A lot." And, people do things 'well,' and things are 'good.' An example: "You play PSO very well. You are good at it." This is called grammar, and some of you might want to look into it. Finally, you may want to expand your vocabulary beyond rapper slang and profanity. It will go miles toward helping you convey your undoubtedly very interesting ideas.

You are incredibly insenstive. Things that are unpleasant to you are not 'gay.' Gay means happy, or homosexual. Homosexuality is not a bad thing. Insulting people and things by calling them gay (or ghey, Mr. Clever) exposes you as either ignorant or insensitive. You didn't mean anything by it? Okay, then stop fucking saying it! Oh, I only say this because I am gay and you have hurt my feelings? Good one, very creative. I am not gay, I just feel I should tell you idiots how stupid you look. Don't like gay people? Get the fuck off this site and go away, you close minded fuck. And another thing- jap is derogatory (that means bad) slang for Japanese people. Stop saying that word.

You have no fucking manners. Stop begging people for free shit. Look for yourself.

You aren't very creative. Your name is Cloud/Sephiroth/Aeris/DBZ***/etc. You need to expand your horizons and find a name that is uncommon. This will help you to stand out. This will also distinguish you as a thoughtful PSO player. You also might want to shy away from naming your character some clever spelling of a bad word. Sure, you had to think a bit to get around the censor. But do you really want to name your character that? Can't you come up with something a little better? Spend like, maybe, 30 seconds on it. Who knows what you will come up with?

You are in a clan. You feel that by joining this clan, you will gain status and acceptance. People join another clan for this reason, but they spell that clan's name with a 'k.' People also join fraternities for this reason. A clan? Are you serious? Are you that insecure? Is it so bad to just have friends that you play online with?

You are just fucking mean. You used to PK people and steal from them. You are trying to figure out ways to dupe and cheat at PSO so that you can ruin it for people. If you had a NOL code, you would use it. Sonic Team made a genre changing game uniting players across the world and you show up and fucking ruin it for people. Were you abused as a child? Did the kids at school pick on you? Are you misunderstood? Have you seen The Crow 100 times? Seriously, your little vigilante shit just ruins a good time for other people. These people did nothing to you. They just want to have fun. You, the cyber bully, take pleasure in being mean to total strangers. This is a sign of a serious mental disfunction on your part. You need fucking therapy. If you enjoy being mean to others for no reason at all you need to seek professional help.

I know the truth hurts. But remember, I only say these things because I care. I want you to be good. I want you to see the error of your ways. I want you to have respect for yourself and others. I want you to think, even if it is for the first time in your life. This game provides you with an opportunity to remake yourself, to pretend to be someone else. Do you really want to keep behaving the way you do?

DangerBoy
Dec 21, 2002, 05:22 PM
Figure I should reply before this gets pulled for language.

I do not agree with chiding the people that make homages (Cloud/Aerith/Sephiroth). Some people really like these characters and it makes them feel good to play as these characters. Would you point and make fun of the people who dress like Superman for Halloween? Clearly they have an affinity towards those characters and want to show people how much they like them. I'd actually like to see an Aerith.

Sapphire87
Dec 21, 2002, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately, the majority of the demographics that comprise the world of PSO are young adolescent males. These are NOT the most mature, intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate members of our society. So sadly, your pleas (as much as I agree with most of them) are falling on deaf ears.

Ghen
Dec 21, 2002, 05:39 PM
I'm not saying I agree with every piece of this rant. In retrospect, I hadn't even considered that the language would be an issue, if it is I apologize. In any case, my point in posting this is that since we've been able to play on the Japanese servers, I have noticed *worlds* of difference between most of the games I play on the American servers and on the Japanese servers. What this rant boils down to is "respect thy neighbor" (at least thats how I interpret it) and it's a good lesson for any age.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghen on 2002-12-21 15:08 ]</font>

Jae
Dec 21, 2002, 05:53 PM
I think Sapphire87 just about summed it up.

The very first thing I saw when I first got online with PSO were sex and drug related symbol chat bubbles. Seriously. Since then, I figure that I would see stuff like that every other day. There's not much you can do about the immaturity but to tolerate it.

Just as in real life, you pick and choose your friends on PSO. If you don't like the way they act, don't play games with them anymore. The lobby is for EVERYONE to hang out, so you just have to accept that you're probably going to hear some really ignorant comments.

On a brighter note, despite the all SSJSephiroth420BluntDawgs out there, there are still some decent young people on PSO. In fact, one of my favorite people to play with is just 15 years old.

*edited so I don't get flamed... and so that this thread will stay on topic. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jae on 2002-12-21 15:15 ]</font>

DangerBoy
Dec 21, 2002, 06:30 PM
I'm wholly into being respectful (perhaps we all should go adventuring sometime?). But yeah, I've pretty much accepted that fact that the US servers are mostly full of butts. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

diospadre
Dec 21, 2002, 09:38 PM
why do you associate fraternities with the kkk? do you know anything about frats other than what you've seen in revenge of the nerds or van wilder?

Ghen
Dec 21, 2002, 10:59 PM
*Cough* I am not the author of this essay, you would have seen that if you would read the beginning. But, the point still stands that people join groups of like minded people with common interests for acceptance. I think the author is using opposite ends of the spectrum to compare and contrast (saying that groups can range from fraternities [good] to that other group [bad]).

P.S. This isn't meant as a jab, but did/do you score well on lit comprehension?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghen on 2002-12-21 20:02 ]</font>

Munki
Dec 21, 2002, 11:19 PM
Ghen, I totally agree with the article posted. Unfortunately, as it has already been pointed out, most of the people that this would apply to will either;

a) Never read it
b) Laugh at how 'gay' the author of this is.
c) Think so damn much of themselves that they would never ever accept advice or a lecture from any person.

Or all of the above. There are a lot of idiots in this world, and once they have the immunity a TV screen offers them, their idiocy intesifies.

Anyway, as Jae said, I have found my friends online. I play with these people now. I can't remember the last open game I played in.

Are the japanese games really that much better? I mean, I thought there would be jerks in those games as well, and I definately don't like the prospect of the language barrier. Anyway I may try it out soon.

OooK!

LollipopLolita
Dec 21, 2002, 11:32 PM
i never really understood why callign someone gay has replaced calling someone a lamer. that's just because of silly little homophobic boys. anyhow i have to move this to rants. sorry ghen.

Maverynthia
Dec 22, 2002, 01:07 PM
I think as much energy you took to post this, you should also log the names, times and places that this occurs, because believe it or not. Those n00bs signed a User agreement NOT to do those things and thus they are in violation, they should be punished.

In short what I'm saying is...if you aren't helping to solve the problem then preaching on a soapbox IS falling on deaf ears... But if you whack those n00bs with the punishment stick, they might be reading this...

Vantamiath
Dec 22, 2002, 02:30 PM
I agreed with everything posted from Ghen (or his friend) and I think this should have been the starting user-agreement lol.

The internet gives you the freedom to hide behind a false identity, so everyone who participates in any online communication will never act the same as they do in real life...EVER. Whether it is for bad or good, most people act different.

Most of the people who play PSO are teens or early 20's, so it is no surprise with the lack of maturity-Im one of them. (15)

I dont think this can be changed, just pray you find some cool people who manage to hold onto their composure online...I can safely admit that I lose my temper in Battle mode, cursing and offending all in one goody bag.

Welcome to the internet.