PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to EarthLink?

YellowSnow
Dec 21, 2002, 08:37 PM
I have AOL right now and it sucks. I want to know if I should switch to EarthLink. The main reason is that AOL is horrible ISP and I really want a new one. Plus I realized I can play PSO with EarthLink. If u can tell the the pros and cons like is does it lag or bad connectoin ect. Thanks for your help.

Maverynthia
Dec 22, 2002, 12:57 PM
Try a local ISP, they tend to be cheaper and more reliable than Earthlink and the like..then again I'm not sure that Earthlink would solve your problems, it might have it's own browser like AOL. I use the local Bellsouth dial-up....

Then again..EVERYTHING is better than AOL....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maverynthia on 2002-12-22 09:58 ]</font>

Tavia
Dec 22, 2002, 07:40 PM
Earthlink is a groovy ISP. I recommend it, because I once used it. In fact, the reason I became one of their users is because Earthlink is who Sega sold their Sega.Net subscribers to.

Additionally, in most areas -- if not all -- Earthlink provides your modem for free, and does not have an installation nor initialization charge, so long as you install it yourself.

When you sign up with an ISP, make sure that you do not get an external USB modem. That's a big no-no.

However, you'll want to note, too, that Earthlink is a PPPoE service. Most PPPoE users who play PSO have had to buy routers to ensure efficient connections. Although this would also improve their 'net connection's overall speed and security, it will be an extra spenditure for you.

You can use AOL with PSO, but only by unconventional means. If you are using a Windows-based computer setup, you will need to install and configure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), which you can read about here: http://www.wown.com. You'll need a networking card in your computer, and a crossover cable.

However, if you don't already have a networking card, then this, too, is additional money to be spent.

Regardless of the route you take, you will undoubtedly have to buy a few things. Personally, I strongly recommend going with Earthlink and getting a router. A router alone will cost the same as a crossover cable and a networking card, so long as you get a low-priced one, and Earthlink's monthly broadband charge is lower than AoL's.

The rest? That's up to you.

Maverynthia
Dec 23, 2002, 01:48 PM
Please note that Tavia is only talking about Broadband for the modem install, initialization, if you want plain dial-up you don't need all those wires and connections. Also you can send your disc into SEGA to have them correct teh PPPoE problem I hear rather than buy all that other junk.

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 12:38 AM
On 2002-12-23 10:48, Maverynthia wrote:
Please note that Tavia is only talking about Broadband for the modem install, initialization, if you want plain dial-up you don't need all those wires and connections. Also you can send your disc into SEGA to have them correct teh PPPoE problem I hear rather than buy all that other junk.

I have heard that as well, but I personally contacted Sega, and they told me they were doing no replacements. They specifically said that, while Japan received version 1.0 of GC PSO, America received -- and all consequent countries will receive -- version 1.1. Due to this, they told me that there is no reason for recalls or replacements. Also, since it is not stated on their website, I find it a kind of peculiar rumor.

You may want to verify it personally for yourself. Their toll-free number is 1-800-USA-SEGA, and from that number you can obtain their 512 number which will get you a live representative.

However, if you are going to buy Earthlink as a dial-up ISP, I stand behind it fully in that aspect too, as when I was one of their customers, I only had dial-up. They're a great company.