PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter : atDH

kevlar_pso
Jul 21, 2007, 04:20 AM
I was wondering if any1 had read the last Harry Potter book yet? Possible spoilers ahead if you are planning on picking up this book.

Eihwaz
Jul 21, 2007, 06:37 AM
I just finished reading it.

I loved every minute of it. It is most definitely my favorite in the series...but I do need to re-read it more carefully. The first read-through is always kind of speedy, which means I miss out on the little details.

Gryffin
Jul 21, 2007, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I finished a little while ago, I had to take it slow, to try and savor it.

7 Hours, the longest I've been able to prolong a book.

Go buy it, seriously.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
I've never read a Harry Potter book, and the only movie I've seen was Order of the Phoenix, but I was waiting in line at midnight! Haha. It was a pretty good time--I met some crazy Harry Potter people, one girl who wanted to tackle this guy who came out of the store in the first group carrying six books, and a bunch of really testy, sleep-deprived store clerks. I was getting the book for my sister, and she's now halfway through and says it's great. I think I might read the series once she's done.

PJ
Jul 21, 2007, 02:45 PM
The mail came in today (On a Saturday?) with 2 copies of the Deathly Hollows; one for our family, and one for my grandma. I went to my mom and said, "Can I see it?" but she said she hid it, so I was mumbling something along the lines like how, I didn't want to read it right now, just see it, cause I never read them first anyways, and then she was like, "Well, why don't you get to read it first?"

"It just... doesn't happen!"

So I get to be the first in my family to read this book! I've started about an hour ago, Chapter 6, liking it so far. Just came to check on email, then back to reading. I haven't been so [happily] distracted in a long time.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
LMAO

Snape kills Dumbledore!

youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-21 14:14 ]</font>

Split
Jul 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
On 2007-07-21 14:13, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
LMAO

Snape kills Dumbledore!

youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-21 14:14 ]</font>
ahahahaha rofl

you get: the intranets!!!11

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2007-07-21 14:39 ]</font>

Thalui89
Jul 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
/stab harry potter

Heh i think people sometimes forget that are other great works in literature!

MayLee
Jul 21, 2007, 05:05 PM
I havn't picted up a copy..http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Nai_Calus
Jul 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
Got it at 12:01am sharp from, of all places, Pac n Save(Grocery store, for those who don't live in NorCal). Funny as shit, the local Wal-Mart barely got any copies, there were eight trillion people at the one bookstore in town when I went by afterwards... But I stopped in for quick and easy midnight pick-up at the sudden realization as I drove past it leaving work at 11:45 last night that, oh yeah, they sell books. Sure 'nuff. >D

Just finished reading it, I was too fucking tired to go fast, kept getting double vision and had to go out for a while to look at the house dad's thinking of buying, but I made it through and can safely resume the internet.

Now for the part you don't want to read if you've not finished.

I knew it, about Snape. Knew it all along, that he was good, that him waxing Dumbledore had been planned by Dumbledore himself. Well, suspected it quite strongly, but once the doe Patronus showed up to lead Harry to the sword, I knew instantly what it represented and who the only person who could have possibly sent that particular Patronus was.

Amusing how both him and Harry were resentful of Dumbledore for not filling them in completely on his plans.

Ouuuuuuch on the body count. Ow, ow, ow. Mad-Eye, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks... Damn.

I cheered when McGonagall of all people used the Imperius curse. XD McGonagall was awesome period, though.

I was kind of hoping that Neville would be the one to get Bellatrix, but Mrs. Weasly doing it was awesome.

Speaking of Neville... It's about fucking TIME he got his due, and being the one to take down the last Horcrux is one damned fine way of doing it. >D

I'm sure nobody is surprised that the HarryxGinny and RonxHermione pairings ended up happening. I am a bit surprised that neither Harry or Hermione ended up teaching at Hogwarts.

Definitely my favourite of the series.

Niered
Jul 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
On 2007-07-21 14:44, Thalui89 wrote:
/stab harry potter

Heh i think people sometimes forget that are other great works in literature!

A resounding QFT. I have no real problems with the series, its just that all too often people feel like its the be-all end-all of the genre. Its not. Try picking up somethings like Redwall or the like, youd be surprised how many OTHER good series there are out there.

TheyCallMeJoe
Jul 21, 2007, 11:54 PM
My enthusiasm with the series ended at book four I think...I read #5, but only reluctantly. So basically I won't be reading HP7, but I'll probably find some spoilers somewhere because I need to know how it ends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm cheap like that.

Nai_Calus
Jul 22, 2007, 12:19 AM
Well, book 5 sucked shit in general. 6 was much better, 7 is pretty much the best of the series.

PJ
Jul 22, 2007, 12:22 AM
On 2007-07-21 22:19, Ian-KunX wrote:
Well, book 5 sucked shit in general. 6 was much better, 7 is pretty much the best of the series.

YES YES YES. God I've found someone who thinks so too. Was it as painful for you to read, or did you just not enjoy it? That thing was torture in book form. Rarara T_T

I'm only at page 200 so far on Hollows. Enjoying it so far, but even though I'm enjoying reading it, don't have the patience to read for long periods of time. Probably only got 2 hours of actual reading time in. Gonna read another chapter before I go to bed.

ShinMaruku
Jul 22, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ron is cockblocker.. >_>
Harry sure did bone Ginny 3 kids damn (I should not talk, I got 5 siblings.. >_>)
THIS IS HOGWAAARTTTSSS!

ljkkjlcm9
Jul 22, 2007, 12:24 AM
I read it
I enjoyed it
I really haven't decided on whether I liked the actual turn out or not.
For one thing it ended rather abruptly for me... yeah there was the "epilogue" but c'mon. So he kills voldy, they're all sitting around eating, he goes up the office to consult Dumble, then 19 years later? Sorry but that pretty much sucked to me. If she's gonna go the cheesy ending of having Harry live, at least give him is public make out session with Ginny after killing Voldy or something lol

honestly, that's the only thing that has urked me. I felt it was really well written and planned, how the tiny things from the early books made such a big difference. And then I further noticed all the tiny things have been in the movies, like the snitch being caught in his mouth.

Well planned out story, good writing, very easy read

THE JACKEL

Pooky-chan
Jul 22, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hedwig died too....
he was my favorite.

ShinMaruku
Jul 22, 2007, 03:29 PM
Dem kill ih patou!
Still it's funny that Voldemort and Harry are related. Just like their cheesy ass ancestors defying death... >_> Them two can hide form death....

Eihwaz
Jul 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
On 2007-07-21 21:02, Niered wrote:
Redwall

The problem with Redwall is they all have basically the exact same plot. Happy beginnings, something evil happens, an epic quest to stop evil, evil is destroyed, resume happy times. Redwall books also make me extremely hungry. Those little fuzzy creatures eat better than I do. D:

I'm currently re-reading DH, because I missed lots of little details. Sometimes reading so fast has a downside.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2007-07-22 14:22 ]</font>

Kyokyono
Jul 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hn, got it about 10:30 last night, read till about 2, then got up around 11 and read till about 2 again and all done. X3 Sometimes I hate reading quickly cause they don't last. T.T But it was a very good book. I agree with Jackel though. *nodnod*

ShinMaruku
Jul 22, 2007, 08:39 PM
Twas aiight.
Was put together well and it just made the character even more G.

Link5
Jul 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
Maybe it was the large 5 year gap in between when I read the 4th and 5th book, but I just finished the 5th a month ago and thought it was possibly one of the best of the series. So it surprises me that I've only heard it talked about negatively.

As for the 7th book, I haven't bought it yet. I'm halfway through the 6th. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Eihwaz
Jul 22, 2007, 09:46 PM
On 2007-07-22 19:40, Link5 wrote:
Maybe it was the large 5 year gap in between when I read the 4th and 5th book, but I just finished the 5th a month ago and thought it was possibly one of the best of the series. So it surprises me that I've only heard it talked about negatively.

I think the reason a lot of people disliked Book 5 was because Harry went through a huge amount of teen angst in that book. Whenever he started screaming his head off at someone, he did it in ALL CAPS, and seeing that every other page was frustrating.

ljkkjlcm9
Jul 22, 2007, 11:04 PM
On 2007-07-22 19:46, Eihwaz wrote:

I think the reason a lot of people disliked Book 5 was because Harry went through a huge amount of teen angst in that book. Whenever he started screaming his head off at someone, he did it in ALL CAPS, and seeing that every other page was frustrating.

I think what annoyed people about the 5th was that it was so long, and half of what was written was completely unnecessary. The movie worked well enough without it.

THE JACKEL

kevlar_pso
Jul 23, 2007, 03:58 AM
Ok, here I am. I have not watched any of the movies and have not read any of the books. I have the Narnia series on my bookshelf to start on after I finish this U2 book I am reading. My question is this, do I tear through everything Tolkin or read the Potter series?

Nai_Calus
Jul 23, 2007, 07:47 AM
If you can read Tolkien without falling asleep, by all means do so.

The movies haven't gotten everything, in fact, movie five fucked up BIG TIME, if I'm not mistaken. Unless they fix it in a director's cut there's no way to get around their fuck-up, actually.

Gee, wasn't book five when Sirius gave Harry that mirror that features so prominently and importantly in book seven? Whoops.

Ah, hell, doesn't matter, they fucked up in movie 3 too with not giving any mention as to why Harry's patronus is a stag, so absolutely nobody will understand the doe patronus when they do the movie, or who it comes from...

Basically, the movies, by omitting so many little details, have totally fucked up and I really don't know how the hell they can do any kind of decent adaption of 7.

Elvendar
Jul 23, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, as Ian stated: Tolkien is sleepy. Sure, he may be the mastermind of great plots and in-depth worlds that countless fantasy authors have borrowed from for years to come, but at the same time, dredging through 20 pages of 'good' (read: boring) times and then another 5 pages about an elf singing about something completely irrelevant (unless you're completely immersed in the world) does not do well to capture my attention span.

The book was okay...
My main problem was, however, the ending. Sure, a lot of loose ends were tied up, but the end of Voldemort was simply 'YAY!' -- fast forward 19 years later and we know that Hermione & Ron are together, and Ginny & Harry are together, and they both have children, but we know nothing more. What does the greatest wizard in the world become, a humble pencil-pusher in the ministry? Does he open up a small fast-food chain? Nope, no mention. Harry's dream was always to become an average joe, but I found it quite odd that there was no mention of the others at the platform even giving a second glance to him aside from Draco, who they knew; It seems as if JK wanted his famousness to wear off, after avoiding the killing curse several times, returning from life once, and destroying the greatest evil that threatened mankind? COME ON!

Aside from that... I rather liked the Deathly Hallows (what the deathly hallows actually were, not the book http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) and overall I feel a bit sad that our story was not tied off a bit better, giving us some better hint at the future of the world she had so carefully developed over the span of SEVEN novels. My favorite is still Chamber of Secrets, and this doesn't steal that spot.

astuarlen
Jul 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
On 2007-07-23 01:58, kevlar_pso wrote:
Ok, here I am. I have not watched any of the movies and have not read any of the books. I have the Narnia series on my bookshelf to start on after I finish this U2 book I am reading. My question is this, do I tear through everything Tolkin or read the Potter series?

Neither. There are oodles of less well known fantasy novels and series that long to be loved as they deserve. Off the top of my head, a couple of authors who write great fantasy, from the classic to very atypical: John Wright, China Mieville, Carol Berg, Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth Haydon, Raymond Feist, Susanna Clark, David Eddings, etc etc etc.

imfanboy
Jul 24, 2007, 06:18 AM
What's really funny is that Sunday a buddy of mine came by with his girlfriend-to-be (at least I think he's trying for a shot at her) and he was bringing his copy of the Deathly Hallows. I looked at the last page of the book and for the next SIX hours, I was singing on and off,

"Harry Potter dies! Harry Potter dies! Harry Potter di-ie-es!"

Just to annoy her a little bit. It was funny. Then I read the part where that actually DOES happen and I couldn't feel sad or surprised at all because I was too busy laughing.

DLShAdOw
Jul 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
On 2007-07-22 19:46, Eihwaz wrote:

QFT.

And as for the Tolkien books, I only really enjoyed The Hobbit. As for the Narnia series, it is one of the best I have ever read (book 3, "The Horse and His Boy" is skippable as it is an ok book, but irrelevant to the entire plot.) As For the Redwall Series, my favorite was Mossflower, but many were good. As For Harry Potter I agree that the epilougue left too much to the imagination. I am also just feeling a general feeling of depression, knowing there will be no more books.

Nai_Calus
Jul 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
I would have liked more about what Harry et al are doing, yeah.

Oh gods, yes, read Neil Gaiman. Read, read, read.

But yeah, I slogged through all three books of Lord of the Rings, somehow. Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English may quite possibly be easier to read. >_>; I loved the plot, the characters, the world, the anal little details of songs and food and shit, but the man wrote like he was writing a Chemistry textbook.

But yeah, you want a good, accessible read, go try yourself some Gaiman.

Eihwaz
Jul 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
On 2007-07-24 10:37, DLShAdOw wrote:
I am also just feeling a general feeling of depression, knowing there will be no more books.

I know exactly what you mean. After I finished reading Deathly Hallows for the first time, I poked around on the computer for a bit, and then went to sleep around 8:00 AM. I woke up around 3:30 PM, and I laid there awake, and I experienced a very sad feeling. I've been involved in these books, getting hyped up before the release of each one, since I was like 11.

It's like a part of my childhood is over. I'm glad that things turned out like they did, at least.

Thalui89
Jul 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
Shame harry potter didnt die...

PJ
Jul 24, 2007, 09:25 PM
Without spoilers, I'll say...

Part of me is disappointed that the first, say, 66.6% of the book was pretty boring. The actual middle of the book was, I'd even go as far as saying, was terrible. But the ENDING! Well, not really the ending, per se, it extended longer than the ending. Hmm. Well, I'll say, the last 33% of the book was AMAZING. If I didn't think the "Beginning" 66% was so terrible, I'd say it was my favourite book in the series. But it's close to. But the END WAS SO AMAZING. I was really getting giddy and crap. It was so awesome.

I'm sad that it ends too... It'd be pretty cool if there were some side stories involving their children, although considering the bad that is Voldemort is gone... I wonder what they could do with it... could be pretty awesome. Then again, I don't want them to ruin something as awesome as the ending of the series by continuing it, so...

Weeaboolits
Jul 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
On 2007-07-23 08:00, astuarlen wrote:

On 2007-07-23 01:58, kevlar_pso wrote:
Ok, here I am. I have not watched any of the movies and have not read any of the books. I have the Narnia series on my bookshelf to start on after I finish this U2 book I am reading. My question is this, do I tear through everything Tolkin or read the Potter series?Neither. There are oodles of less well known fantasy novels and series that long to be loved as they deserve. Off the top of my head, a couple of authors who write great fantasy, from the classic to very atypical: John Wright, China Mieville, Carol Berg, Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth Haydon, Raymond Feist, Susanna Clark, David Eddings, etc etc etc.Terry Pratchet, the Discworld books are very good, I've read The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and another one with a title I cannot recall. >_>; Very good books, go read them now. T_T

imfanboy
Jul 25, 2007, 04:02 AM
Terry Pratchett has something like 30 books out there. XD They're all awesome, too.

Go check out the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Better than Harry Potter by FAAAAR. Better than Lord of The Rings by at least 300%.

Hm, I think I'll go reread them. After all, the final book is due out soon...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-07-25 02:19 ]</font>

DLShAdOw
Jul 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
For a Single book thats is a really good read, go for Dune.

ShinMaruku
Jul 25, 2007, 08:59 AM
Paradise Lost FTW

SubstanceD
Jul 26, 2007, 04:39 AM
On 2007-07-21 22:19, Ian-KunX wrote:

I agree as well.

Overall I felt that book 7 was a great read. Like someone else pointed out, there were soo many little details from the previous books that it was kind of fun and rewarding watching how everything came together.

I was kind of hoping Harry would die. I already knew that part of Voldermort's soul went into Harry when he was a baby. I also understood the irony of Voldermort rebuilding his body using Harry's blood. I always knew the 2 were linked soo I figured that the if 1 died so would the other. I was quite surprised and a bit dissapointed that J.K. Rowling found away around killing Harry ( although I was glad she confirmed my theory about how the 2 were linked ). The epilouge was okay although I would have liked to know what Harry was doing, he always wanted to be an Auror although I suspected that somewhere down the line he may have wanted to follow in Dumbledore's footsteps and teach instead.

Eihwaz
Jul 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
I only had two fairly minor issues with the book's ending.

First, I really felt like Neville should've been the one to off Bellatrix. He had claim to her. Having Mrs. Weasley do it was pretty funny, but it would've been a nice finish to the whole "Neville becomes a badass" idea. At least he got to finish Nagini. In the whole scheme of things, that was more significant, but still. Secondly, I too felt that the Epilogue left too much open. I wanted to know what everyone was doing for a living. DX

Thalui89
Jul 26, 2007, 07:58 PM
And now its all over! Time to read summat else now peeps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Eihwaz
Jul 27, 2007, 04:03 AM
On 2007-07-26 17:58, Thalui89 wrote:
And now its all over! Time to read summat else now peeps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If you're not a fan of Harry Potter, no one is forcing you to read this thread. Fans are, understandably, excited, and wish to discuss the book.

Gryffin
Jul 27, 2007, 04:08 AM
There wasn't enough closure!

I wanted a funeral chapter!!! I'm so depressed since like, all of my favorites died...

T_T

I also havent checked this thread in FOREVA and I probably wont for another week or two xD

Eihwaz
Jul 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
For people who wanted a bit more from the epilogue, click here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/). It's an interview with Rowling where she tells who is doing what.

Blue-Hawk
Jul 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
Just finished it myself. I can't read fast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Very well written, but the end kind of leaves itself open to a sort of 'Next Generation of wizards in the school' set of books. Can Rowling top the HP series? Let us hope so.

Cowlibob
Aug 3, 2007, 07:33 AM
I finished reading it a few weeks ago. Overall it was a good read especially when I read bits that I predicted like the locket. The epilogue was nothing special, it seemed to end just like some fairy tale with happily ever after.
But i am dreading daniel radcliffe having to do more emotional scenes in the movie version of this book because he has been atrocious at them so far in the series.