PDA

View Full Version : Old DC PSO ver. 1 question

DavidNel
Jul 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
I don't remember why, but I was told a long time ago that a copy of PSO v. 1 would only work with the 1st system it was run on. Is this true? If so, is it useless to buy a used copy of the game?

DC_PLAYER
Jul 21, 2007, 03:12 PM
hmmm, not sure.........but the cd cannot contain that data so you can buy safely the game.
ver.2 has the problem of the files only work on 1 console or else they will say that are damaged, as for ver.1 going online with a used copy may not work, but again the official severs are closed and private servers do not check the serial and pass so you can enter safely

resuming, either a new copy or an used copy will work....have fun

Sinue_v2
Aug 1, 2007, 06:36 PM
Nonono... the thing is, when you play PSO on the Dreamcast, your serial # and access key are saved into your DC's BIOS as I understand it. This was to keep people banned off the servers, even if they purchased a new disk and to prevent piracy. (of course, Sega almost never banned someone - as the only way to get banned was to trip their automated checksums and scripts.. like if you took a banned item out of the bank or tried to log in with banned items in your inventory - hence the bank bypass code).

Anyhow - since the servers are offline, there's nothing to stop you from playing PSO on your Dreamcast. Though if for any reason you do need need to flash the BIOS, it's possible using an early version of the PlanetWeb browser. I can't recall the process right now, but I'm sure if you look on the net you can find something.