PDA

View Full Version : GC: Dial-Up modem not able to use AOL?

Tweb2000
Dec 22, 2002, 02:15 PM
Hey,
Well I've been looking for a Modem for the game and what do you know I find 3 BBA and 5 Dial up at my local WalMart. I don't have BBA yet(maybe for christmas) so I was going to get the Dialup for now just to play online. I started looking over the packaging and I notice it say for use with Sega's Phantasy Star Online and then below execpt for AOL users which I am. So my question is Can AOL user use the dial modem? Do all BBA work with the Gamecube BBA? And why would the dial up not work with AOL? Thanks for any help.

Blenjar
Dec 22, 2002, 02:21 PM
GAMECUBE DON'T WORK WITH AOL.

-- THE END --

Robantifast
Dec 22, 2002, 03:23 PM
AOL is not a true ISP it is a proprietary internet service. This means they use different ways of connecting/communicating on the internet that they won't tell anyone. That's why it doesn't work with PSO like true ISPs do. I wasn't too happy because I had AOL when I had DC...sorry dude that really sucks. See if you can find a free ISP somewhere. I think Juno or Bluelight were good back in the day, but I'm not sure now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

sonicblue
Dec 22, 2002, 03:32 PM
Same thing applies to Dreamcast, AOL just doesn't work for online console gaming. I'm not even sure if it works with Xbox or Playstation 2. And in the end, AOL itself isn't even a very good ISP. Try to persuade your parents to switch ISP's if they're the ones paying for the service.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sonicblue on 2002-12-22 12:33 ]</font>

DirewolfX
Dec 22, 2002, 03:44 PM
There is one way to get AOL or any other proprietary or non-standard ISP service working with GC...

Setup a computer as a proxy server, and connect to AOL with that computer. Then connect your GC to that computer.

How to do this? Don't ask, it's complicated and requires special software. Buy a good book on networking if you're interested.

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 12:33 AM
http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm

Although this configuration is for a Dreamcast, you can do it for a GameCube as well.

I'm going to have to make a guide of this stuff one of these days, for the GC version... hmm...