PDA

View Full Version : This right here makes me ashamed to be black...

DizzyDi
Jul 24, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sos one day I'm channel surfing and I happen upon BET. Now I don't usually watch BET but 106 & Park (a video top 10 show for those that don't know) was on and they were playing a Kanye West. So since I'm a fan of Kanye I sits and watches it. Afterwards the hosts say they're playing a video called "Read a book". Read a book? I says to myself, BET can't possibly be playing something educational for once! I have to see this.
I was right, it wasn't educational at all. As a matter of fact, it goes down as one of the most ignant things I've ever seen in my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqa7cbdOC8
WTFX, srsly.
Some say its meant to be a spoof, maybe it is. But its sure as hell hard to tell because it fits in with the rest of the Bullshit that BET broadcasts 24/7.
This video makes me want to kill everyone involved with the production of it.

Feelmirath
Jul 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
I have to say, I LOL'd at that.

I know I shouldn't, but there's something funny about "BRUSH YOUR GODDAMN TEETH" in a rap XD

AlexCraig
Jul 24, 2007, 03:16 PM
That... was horrible.

Mystil
Jul 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
Ah yes we have the most mucked up screwed culture among all the ethnics http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 24, 2007, 04:07 PM
Wow... That was suppose to be educational? I only can see people dancing to the lyrics and not really paying attention to what it's saying.

lol at the girls with BOOK written on their butts. Subliminal...

Blue-Hawk
Jul 24, 2007, 04:10 PM
What a HORRID thing to do to one of the greatest Beethoven pieces.

I tried watching it, truly I did. But after the first few minutes of that drivel I felt like I was losing 10 points of IQ per vulgar word spoken in that (and I hesitate to call it this) song.

I guess that falls under the decline of modern education. If I ever have kids, or catch my nephew under the influence of that crap, the consequences will be dire.

You COULD alert the FCC about those kinds of videos poisoning the minds of America's youth. Hell, even I found it to be offensive, and I don't offend easily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-07-24 14:11 ]</font>

Jakosifer
Jul 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
.....Ugh. What the hell.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
Um...

Okay, I feel like I majorly missed the boat here, because I don't understand what about it is offending you guys. It's supposed to be a funny satire on modern rap culture--"Read a book, read a mothafuckin' book! Brush your teeth, brush your god damn teeth!" instead of spinners and hoes and clubs. Ha ha, get it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

EphekZ
Jul 24, 2007, 04:25 PM
On 2007-07-24 14:07, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
Wow... That was suppose to be educational? I only can see people dancing to the lyrics and not really paying attention to what it's saying.

No one really cares anymore. They just want to hear the music with a "phat beat"

I'm not sure if this was their intention, but most of the shit they said was true. Hell, chris rock even did a joke sort of like they just did about the rims. In the beggining, of the video, he said something and ended with "I don't care I'm just trying to go platninum" Which this video demonstrates that it doesn't fucking matter what you sing about. if it's rap the "pop society" will like it. I guess what i'm trying to say is I saw really nothing wrong with this, it was just social commentary really.

If he did take it seriously no one would care. fuck man, 2pac could of been the best reader ever and that still wouldn't of made his fans start reading books.

I guess all I can say is, It's just a song yo.

edit:

Um...

Okay, I feel like I majorly missed the boat here, because I don't understand what about it is offending you guys. It's supposed to be a funny satire on modern rap culture--"Read a book, read a mothafuckin' book! Brush your teeth, brush your god damn teeth!" instead of spinners and hoes and clubs. Ha ha, get it?

ah coffee you beat me to it by a second http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EphekZ on 2007-07-24 14:26 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jul 24, 2007, 04:32 PM
I couldn't tell if this was sopposed to be a spoof or not because right after it they play artists lik 50 Cent.
Its kinda odd for BET, one of the major stations that play the kind of music that is being satired, to play a satire on it.

EphekZ
Jul 24, 2007, 04:35 PM
On 2007-07-24 14:32, DizzyDi wrote:
I couldn't tell if this was sopposed to be a spoof or not because right after it they play artists lik 50 Cent.
Its kinda odd for BET, one of the major stations that play the kind of music that is being satired, to play a satire on it.

Apparently you missed my comment about how the general public could care less what words are in these songs.

DizzyDi
Jul 24, 2007, 04:40 PM
I referring to Coffee's statement.

PhotonDrop
Jul 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
50 Cent's not a a joke? Kidding.

Yes. This video is a joke. Even if it was kind of in the wrong place in your case, Dizzy, I see too many people getting uptight about it.

Read a book. Raise your kids. Your body needs water so drink that shit. Brush your teeth. Wear deoderant, it's called Speed Stick, its not expensive. Buy some land, fuck spinning rims. (It's probably out of order, its been a while since I've seen this video)

Even though its meant as a joke the message is pretty clear. It's saying all the trashy people need to start acting like they have some goddamn sense.

It's actually a GOOD thing. Anybody that immediately shut it off because "RAP IS CRAP LULZ" should get over themselves <_<

Mystil
Jul 24, 2007, 05:46 PM
On 2007-07-24 14:24, CupOfCoffee wrote:
Um...

Okay, I feel like I majorly missed the boat here, because I don't understand what about it is offending you guys. It's supposed to be a funny satire on modern rap culture--"Read a book, read a mothafuckin' book! Brush your teeth, brush your god damn teeth!" instead of spinners and hoes and clubs. Ha ha, get it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Yes but they aren't listening to the lyrics. They are only dancing to the beat ;p.

ABDUR101
Jul 24, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-07-24 15:41, PhotonDrop wrote:
It's actually a GOOD thing. Anybody that immediately shut it off because "RAP IS CRAP LULZ" should get over themselves <_<

All the new rap and hip-hop I do shut off, because it is trashy garbage. It's the same shit being sung, to a minorly different beat, with different bitches dancing as eye candy.

Honestly, it's not taken seriously because the shit thats sung about is so far out there; it's easy to confuse a 'serious' rap song with a 'satire'.

I'm an old-schooler, and the shit today doesn't compare to the greats that were around before. Rap is no different, all I hear is pre-canned music to sell to the masses; it doesn't matter what genre it is.

BET, CMT, two stations dedicated to people who are stuck in their own little voids of culture.

PhotonDrop
Jul 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Actually, I think I may be mistaken. I know the song that's being discussed here but I found a live version on YouTube just now.

We are talking about the cartoon video, right? If it's the cartoon then there is no reason it should be mistaken for the bad rap since not only is the message good but the video shows a cartoon version of the artist helping people to improve themselves.

I know I just got through saying it was a joke but apparently the artist is taking it as serious business himself.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
This video just got taken down by Viacom.

Para
Jul 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
On 2007-07-24 17:59, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
This video just got taken down by Viacom.

Yeah... I was about to watch it too.

Shadowpawn
Jul 24, 2007, 09:24 PM
Here you go.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2874239

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
Wow, that was just one of the stupidest things I have ever seen or heard in my life. I'm not really that crazy about hip hop, but yeah, this was a bit, meh.

DurakkenX
Jul 24, 2007, 09:39 PM
If you are offended by that song you are prolly the one it is talking to. It's meant to be funny, but also offensive in that maybe if he tells you to read a book you might and become a bit smarter.

Sinue_v2
Jul 24, 2007, 09:43 PM
Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but speaking of booty shaking rap music and culture, I really liked this bit (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5871239192276943521&q=50+Cent+Orchestra&total=27&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0). Granted, it's just a commercial - but I think I'd probably get a lot more into rap music if it was like that.

Is there any serious orchestra rap out there?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 25, 2007, 01:53 AM
That's a pretty blanket stereotype for a video/song concept; nothing that should be on TV and should stay as some crappy viral video.

Its not like something eye catching such as:

LUPE FIASCO - Food & Liquor CD.

The booklet for this Chicago MC's debut LP features a series of photographs depicting an alternate world where guns and books have changed places; schoolkids walk to class with arms full of Mack 10s and Desert Eagles; ski-masked thugs pose with paperbacks; parents stand in disappointment and shame in the principal's office after their son is caught with a novel.The gangsters are also sitting around drinking cookies and milk with the same candor as if it were liquor. There's also an image of a shooting with victims in the street covered in open books while lying on the ground, after the hit.

Isabella
Jul 25, 2007, 02:24 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif Lil' Jon? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

opaopajr
Jul 25, 2007, 05:49 AM
Ha ha ha! oh my gawd, that was great! i was dyin', dyin'! seriously, though, can you imagine if all that money that went into rims went into buying property? it'd be a different world, i tell you. still can't shake that sight of booty bouncin' with the word "book" splayed all across -- i was on the floor gasping! way too funny!

Midicronica
Jul 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I saw that yesterday before they took it off YouTube. It was pretty damn funny.

Solstis
Jul 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
On 2007-07-24 19:43, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but speaking of booty shaking rap music and culture, I really liked this bit (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5871239192276943521&q=50+Cent+Orchestra&total=27&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0). Granted, it's just a commercial - but I think I'd probably get a lot more into rap music if it was like that.

Is there any serious orchestra rap out there?

I really hope that there is, that was pretty good stuff.

UnderscoreX
Jul 25, 2007, 11:26 AM
The video wont load but i've seen it before and yeh, stupid lame etc but you shouldn't really take anymore offence to this then the fact that people bought the Chicken noodle soup song.
But Sinue if I recall correctly the Step Up soundtrack had a few songs like that.

Petey Pablo - Show me the money
Youngbloodz - i'mma shine
Young Joc - 'bout it (This is very borderline but it definitely has the vibe)

They're still very Gangster-ey so you probably wont like them. And uh Puff Daddy - Come with me.

ShinMaruku
Jul 25, 2007, 03:11 PM
Who the hell watches BET?!
That said. I seen more foolishness on the street but then delicious irony when I hear white dudes calling each other niggaz and Asians doing it also...
I mean it's weird enough seeing my zebra cousins saying it

Firocket1690
Jul 25, 2007, 11:35 PM
'lest it's more ejumacational than 'mah lip gloss is 'poppin!'

... yeah. >_>;