PDA

View Full Version : PSO Servers

ShiroXRipper
Jul 25, 2007, 11:03 AM
So, there is absolutely no chance of the PSO GC servers coming back up?

DC_PLAYER
Jul 25, 2007, 11:58 AM
nope, sega said to the company in charge of the servers to stop, sega was wasting money just to keep a few players from using the servers.
we tried even seending letters to sega to see if they would make the servers online....but they said no, check the letter yourself

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your letter and your campaign pack which have been passed to me by Mike Hayes.

SEGA are proud to have such devoted customers and we are extremely grateful for your commitment to Phantasy Star Online. Unfortunately PSO has reached the point where the number of active players no longer justifies the manpower and resources required to operate and maintain the game servers. This situation is unlikely to change in future and regrettably we cannot re-open the servers, even in a limited capacity.

With regards to your second and third proposals: both of these would involve releasing our server-side code. This software remains the intellectual property of SEGA and it cannot be distributed to a third-party or released into the public domain for various reasons, including copyright and confidentiality. The game bears the SEGA brand and the Terms and Conditions make reference to SEGA. These would both need to be changed. Additionally, the authentication software and database would still need to be stored and maintained by SEGA because we cannot release these to a third-party.

We would encourage all fans of PSO to try Phantasy Star Universe and its forthcoming expansion, Ambition of the Illuminus. If you prefer something closer to the original, PSO Blue Burst for PC has an active and strong community.

Thank you once again for your loyalty to Phantasy Star Online.

Yours sincerely

Ryusuke Ito
IT & Network Director

cashizslick
Jul 26, 2007, 09:23 PM
On 2007-07-25 09:58, DC_PLAYER wrote:
Unfortunately PSO has reached the point where the number of active players no longer justifies the manpower and resources required to operate and maintain the game servers.

Thats why the free servers are packed, and updated regularly . . . manpower & resources my ass.

Sonic Team sucks.

DC_PLAYER
Jul 27, 2007, 09:04 AM
someone needs to operate the servers, and resources are money, they pay a company to make maintenance......

trypticon
Jul 28, 2007, 03:23 PM
Wow, there's a lot of crap in that letter that isn't entirely true, which we know because the free servers, housing several different variations of PSO are up, running, maintained more frequently and better than the Sonic Team servers were. The authentication software and database are both in tact on the private servers, so stating that Sega needs to keep these in house is also bull.

However, they did make a push to get more money out of you by suggesting you stop playing PSO OFFLINE, and pay to play Blue Burst; which has a larger population on the free servers, considering they stated it was an active and strong community, or PSU, along with purchasing the expansion for it.

Looks like a generic corporate letter to me.

cashizslick
Jul 29, 2007, 04:41 AM
^ agreed.

Its interesting that the free servers are maintained on such a low budget . . . sega was making a killing off of PSO hunters licence fees.

kohle
Jul 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
Free servers are easier to maintain because they're so much simpler than Sega's. I expect that Sega has five or six big, expensive, powerful Unix boxes running the PSOBB servers over a connection that probably costs upward of $1000/month.

In contrast, a PSO server running in a console window on my laptop can handle just about the same traffic, and it's just a single .exe file on one computer running on a home Internet line.

So basically, Sega's overcompensating for the server load. They could easily restart the PSOGC servers if they wanted to.

Deja
Jul 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
Free server ftw, they make new quests, update, and are stable. All with like...user contributions.

SStrikerR
Jul 29, 2007, 09:50 PM
yea, and if sega would patch corruption and fsods for good, (if they even can, doubt it cuz they suck) i would even pay 15 a month, i used to pay 20 for pso and psu!

but psu sucks, and 20 is a bit high lol, but id pay 15 per month for them to come back.

MushiKuro
Jul 30, 2007, 12:12 AM
PS: Remenber, don't talk about what you know guys =P

Well, it's a decision of Sega, we can't do nothing, i NEVER gonna pay to play PSOBB, because it's a old game remodeled(This is the truth), if i only need to buy a box and play is much better, because more people are going to play and pay for the box(Or Sega can have a couple of 10~30 hunter in the server, lol).

See ya!

x.x

cashizslick
Jul 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
On 2007-07-29 22:12, MushiKuro wrote:
PS: Remenber, don't talk about what you know guys =P

Well, it's a decision of Sega, we can't do nothing,

We can and have done something . . . servers exist that are fsod-patched, and have decent communities.

Remember -> PSO may be dead to you and the users of this site, but outside these walls things are very much alive.

MushiKuro
Jul 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, i know about you know what http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
Sega of America consider PSO dead, the other, consider it live, this is because Sega of America, i love PSOBB(And play it), but nobody can do something relative with the Sega's Server.

See ya!

X.X

TacoxKnight
Jul 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
How do I get free server and are Private servers illegal? (noob question -.-)

AlexCraig
Jul 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
On 2007-07-30 09:08, TacoxKnight wrote:
How do I get free server and are Private servers illegal? (noob question -.-)

This is from the sticky above:
Here is what can and can't be said about private servers:

Can say:
They exist
Experiences while on them (found -, or did - quest)

Can't say:

How to find them
How to connect to them
Names of the servers
Encouraging using private servers
Walkthrough for exclusive quests

cashizslick
Jul 30, 2007, 01:57 PM
^ Exactly - use google.

A private PSO GC server is not illegal per se . . .since its an online game that is no longer supported.

What would be illegal would be the using of Sega's server software/coding to host your own server, as that software/coding is the IP (intelectual property) of Sega and SonicTeam.

Luckily, the code for a server is simple enough to reproduce w/out requiring sega's code. A Gamecube server is not illegal at all.

DC_PLAYER
Jul 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
On 2007-07-29 19:17, Deja wrote:
Free server ftw, they make new quests, update, and are stable. All with like...user contributions.

stable?, can you define stable.

cashizslick
Jul 30, 2007, 08:19 PM
^ They crash far less frequently than the ST servers did. In-game intentional FSODs are also patched. . . .

. . . if you fuck around and mess up peoples games, you get banned.

Hopesbane
Jul 31, 2007, 03:02 AM
Bump.

Anyone who can help me contact Sega in an effective way that will ensure they actually read and respond to my message will have my many thanks.

DC_PLAYER
Jul 31, 2007, 09:00 AM
go to sega europe and select contacts or suport, simple
they crash less frequently, well, the ships often go down and sometimes the entire server goes down.

Escoffier
Jul 31, 2007, 09:57 AM
wwe should have everybody seperatley send a letter saying they want the servers back up..even people who play on private servers and then they will see how many want to play and realize that thers a big enough community...but i doubt that will work

cashizslick
Jul 31, 2007, 10:06 AM
It wont work.

Sega wants us to move on to PSU.

Read up on Sega and how they have a history of pushing their customers onto new systems/games faster than they want . . .

DC_PLAYER
Jul 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
offcourse, PSU brings money to sega, the servers of pso dc and gb did not

cashizslick
Jul 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well, they also cost next to nothing to operate.

Hopesbane
Jul 31, 2007, 11:37 AM
EDIT: All better. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hopesbane on 2007-07-31 12:20 ]</font>

Cranberry
Aug 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the servers are infact illegal. Sega makes that pretty clear in their TOS and even on the servers site itself they have a stickied topic that says the server is illegal.

Online service ending alone does not make the servers suddenly become legal.

Nidramag
Aug 2, 2007, 09:16 PM
On 2007-07-31 07:57, Escoffier wrote:
wwe should have everybody seperatley send a letter saying they want the servers back up..even people who play on private servers and then they will see how many want to play and realize that thers a big enough community...but i doubt that will work

think about it though, ANYone who uses a free server ISNT going to send in a letter to bring these back up, if information stated before was at all true this would make them illegal again on GC and it seems people could care less about Sega if they play a free server.

kadajarik
Aug 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
segas an ass they could least keep a few open