PDA

View Full Version : Idiot-boy Comes By It Naturally

Kayumi
Dec 23, 2002, 02:21 AM
Idiot-boy finishes his exams, finds out he managed to write some pretty damn good essays in spite of the lateness of some, and goes home for Christmas break, where his parents have upgraded their dialup ISP to DSL with the same company.

Idiot-boy goes to install said DSL for his parents. Installation is easy, everything goes fine, simple, all that.

Idiot-boy needs a username and a password. Idiot-boy's father uses the same set of five passwords for everything, and Idiot-boy knows them all by now, so runs through the list. None work. Idiot-boy asks what the password is, is told another one which was created by Idiot-boy's mom, who was apparently the one who signed up for the service. Doesn't work. Idiot-boy asks his parents to pull out the written record of the password from wherever they stored it.

They don't have one.

Seriously. My parents don't know the password to their ISP, and didn't bother writing it down when the company didn't provide a document with it in writing. So now, we have to call the ISP tomorrow and have them dig it up for us.

Idiot-boy is unimpressed.

Nawms
Dec 23, 2002, 09:36 AM
too bad. I have all my passwords written on a little folder and saved on the computer. Havent lost a password yet.

Ghen
Dec 23, 2002, 11:53 AM
Hrmmm, you mean you have ALL of your passwords saved on your computer in a non-encrypted document?

Today's word is SECURITY kids. Say it with me, S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y.

*Chuckles* no offense, but I hope you don't ever get a trojan.

Nawms
Dec 23, 2002, 12:42 PM
Acually no. I have 2 computers and 1 has internet access. they are on the one that doesnt.

Kayumi
Dec 23, 2002, 03:23 PM
I'd never store anything vital on a computer without having a hard-copy anyway. It's too easy to lose stuff like that. Having an actual file somewhere specific with hard-copies of all that kind of information is always necessary, just in case.

ABDUR101
Dec 23, 2002, 05:15 PM
I have all my passwords stored within my iddy biddy head. 0.o

No hard copies, no soft copies. I have teh good memory =X

...except for that one password.. o_O

Kayumi
Dec 23, 2002, 05:43 PM
I used to keep all my passwords in my head, but I once forgot one back in the days of DOS and couldn't access a small part of the shell ever again. Was part of what prompted me to learn to use command prompt, that, and since then I've always made sure to have a hard copy.

IceBlink
Dec 23, 2002, 06:18 PM
I have my passwords written in a little red book somewhere in my top drawer, underneath the... um... er... I forgot where it is. >_<

Robantifast
Jan 5, 2003, 01:41 PM
Ah good old DOS Shell...I remember forgetting my password for the little program list at the bottom...I had to use the command prompt for them then haha. Good thing I started out on the command prompt anyways...OLD SCHOOL DOS ROCKS!!!1111111

BlackRose
Jan 13, 2003, 10:33 AM
DOS isn't old school, in my book...

For passwords, I made up a simple cipher and now plug any new username I make into it. Makes passwords difficult to memorize, but I can figure them out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlackRose on 2003-01-13 07:35 ]</font>