PDA

View Full Version : 360 Demo: Dynasty Warriors: Gundam

Midicronica
Jul 31, 2007, 09:07 AM
The demo has been out for quite some time now and I was wondering if anyone has played it?

I'm a newcomer into the Dynasty Warriors series and I've read many many comments and reviews about how the games never changed and just were really repetitive, yada yada... But, y'know... I like those repetitive hack-n-slash games like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and Ninety Nine Nights. So that's why I've got my eye on this game. Not only is it extremely fun, but it puts a new twist on shit by adding in some of your most favorite gundams and pilots.

I'm sorry, I'm one of those noobs who's first Gundam series was Gundam Wing, so it's only natural it's going to be my favorite.. What's that? I get to fight in the Epyon? Do Want! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Play the demo soon or pick up the game when it drops at the end of August on 360 and PS3.

ABDUR101
Jul 31, 2007, 10:02 AM
I played the demo, merely because I used to play Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors co-op with one of my nephews and we had alot of fun with it. The demo has one mission set in a subterrainian molten labyrinth. For one, it looks like it can handle alot more enemies onscreen at once than the usual Dynasty/Samurai Warriors fair(at no point did I get so many enemies onscreen that they would disappear, much like in the former games where if you had so many around you, they'd stop loading graphically and yet the enemies would STILL hit you).

The models and textures are what could be expected of a 360 Dynasty Warriors, it's nothing to write home about, and I'm sure Ninety Nine Nights looks better to a degree, but from what I could tell the gundam models and mobile suits all looked pretty decent. Fighting hero units is cool, just because every gundam has it's own fighting style and pilot talking shit to you. By far I had the most trouble fighting the light, wirey gundams; they tend to hit hard with combo attacks more often than the bigger brutes.

Also, I was never really into the gundam series, so seeing all the suits and so on was interesting. I'd see a new suit and think "oh shit, that one has two cannons on it's back" or "that one looks like it'll fuck me up".

One downside to the demo, it doesn't give you any idea how you'll be able to customize your gundams with the items you find and pickup(much like finding new weapons and items in the other games). You find plenty of items and parts in the demo, but since there's only one mission, you never get to see what they can do for you. Aswell, before that mission, you don't get the chance to alter any part of your current gundam; would have been a nice touch but oh well.

End-result: It's still a Dynasty/Samurai Warriors game, except abit more effort was put in to make it look and handle better on a next-gen system(the view-distances are pretty decent when it comes to the world itself, and I did'nt really see any enemies "popping" or "fading" into view like in the former games). Aswell, the maps seem to be divided into quadrants. You enter a quadrant and kill all the enemies(and any officers/guards), and you take over the quadrant, with a battalion of your own troops being dropped in/moving through to guard it.

Same mindless slashing, but atleast it's with gundams I'm sure every fan of the series will enjoy; if you can play it and be ok with the mindless slashing of enemies anyway. I'm not sure what all they have in-store for the full game, but the series is always garnered toward people who want the mindless action anyway.(If it had multiplayer, with strategic elements involved, teamplay and voicechat, it might be worth alot more, but if not, meeeh.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2007-07-31 08:57 ]</font>

Dek
Jul 31, 2007, 10:46 AM
My friend and I got to play the PS3 version at Anime Central this year. Since we're both big Gundam fans, as soon as we found out it was there, we instantly thought "Do Want!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Based on my experience with the game, I thought it was awesome. Not only is it one of the best Dynasty Warrior games that I ever played, it's definately one of the better Gundam games that has been released.

I was definitely pleased with the fact that the Gundams looked very accurate to their anime counterparts and worked very similarly to their anime counterparts.

At this rate, I may have to get a 360 for the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Rubius-sama
Jul 31, 2007, 05:40 PM
The demo was fun, what I would expect out of a Dynasty Warriors game. Same hack 'n slash action, but looks a lot more pleasing with robots XD

My only beef with the demo was it does not allow you to switch the x-axis of the camera controls, so you're stuck with inverted horizontal camera...and if you're and FPS gamer, it sucks. I refuse to buy games for this reason alone, because I can hardly play the game without the right camera controls. I hope the full game allows some tweaking.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2007, 07:04 PM
Nice, this is a much needed change...since every Dynasty Warriors game has been exactly the same.

Sekani
Aug 2, 2007, 08:41 PM
I know absolutely nothing about the Gundam universe, but this was an intense and kick-ass demo.

amtalx
Aug 3, 2007, 06:42 AM
After trying this...it's Dynasty Warriors with Gundam models (big surprise there). The problem with Keoi is they never bring anything new to the table. Maybe the story will be good.

ABDUR101
Aug 3, 2007, 09:56 AM
Sad but true, it is just Dynasty Warriors with gundams. After all the incarnations I've played, I always hope for a new additive, like a strategic online mode where you have to capture control points for extra troops or to acquire siege weapons, or even just to have a defensive area to start a new foothold in a new part of the map. There's alot they could do with the game, but they just don't progress in that sense.

I'm quite sure I won't be getting it, merely because I've "been there, done that" with the series on numerous occasions and definitely need more to warrant a $60 price-tag. If I want to go hack and slash for hours on end, I'll go cut down undergrowth in the woods below my house.

Zelutos
Aug 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
I love Gundams. I'll buy it no matter what.

BTW, i did enjoy the demo on both the PS3 and 360 :3