PDA

View Full Version : ALS

Thalui89
Aug 1, 2007, 06:06 PM
Heh just watched a film on TV out of random boredom xD. The film was called Jennifer, its about a woman who develops ALS ( a disease that eventually leaves you paralised by shutting down your nervous system). heh just thought i rant about how fucked up that disease is, i mean its cruel it really is, just makes people basically trapped in their body. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif heh guess reality really does bite.

Neways tis all im gonna put this disease depresses me too much >_<

Weeaboolits
Aug 1, 2007, 06:14 PM
I heard about a disease where your muscles slowly become bone, that would really suck. ._.

Thalui89
Aug 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
yeah, i heard about that. als isnt genetic like the bone thing meaning, anyone can get it ;-;

Otis_Kat
Aug 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
It's suck if your muscles don't stop growing, like these guys. http://www.who-sucks.com/people/monstrous-myostatin-misfortunes-a-collection-of-myostatin-deficiency-pictures

Sord
Aug 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'd say Alzheimer's is pretty depressing. You have your body, but your losing your memory, you never know where you are, you forget our loved ones, ou forget friends, family, and everything else that could have been good. The only good thing about it is you can forget the bad things to.

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thats not how Alzheimers works. Basically you get fragments at random, no chronological order.

I've worked with the elderly for years, and most of the people I've taken care of have had it in some form or another. It can go from "Where's my husband/wife, we're supposed to goto Marge's house for dinner and I'm so worried, he's never this late"(when the husband/wife has been dead for years already, and they keep forgetting, as if they're still married and living at home), to telling you the same thing, day after day after day, because they forgot they've already had the conversation with you.

It whittles away at you over time, but you still get fragments on occasion; and yeah you do forget who people are, where you are, you'll pace and do the same things over and over and not realise it, stuck in a constant repetition. I feel sorry for the people who get stuck in the repetition of worry and being upset as they wait for a loved one who will never come/is already dead.

Sord
Aug 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
On 2007-08-01 18:19, ABDUR101 wrote:
Thats not how Alzheimers works. Basically you get fragments at random, no chronological order.

I've worked with the elderly for years, and most of the people I've taken care of have had it in some form or another. It can go from "Where's my husband/wife, we're supposed to goto Marge's house for dinner and I'm so worried, he's never this late"(when the husband/wife has been dead for years already, and they keep forgetting, as if they're still married and living at home), to telling you the same thing, day after day after day, because they forgot they've already had the conversation with you.

It whittles away at you over time, but you still get fragments on occasion; and yeah you do forget who people are, where you are, you'll pace and do the same things over and over and not realise it, stuck in a constant repetition. I feel sorry for the people who get stuck in the repetition of worry and being upset as they wait for a loved one who will never come/is already dead.

I had a great grandma who had it. Couldn't even remember my grandpa was her son. I saw her a few times, can't say she ever remembered me though. Now my grandpa seems to be forgetting things on various occasions, and it's got a lot of the family worried. We're not sure if he will develop Alzheimers as well, or if he's just getting senile. You probably know a lot more about it than I do, seeing as you work/ed at some sort of clinic or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2007-08-01 18:27 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2007, 09:14 PM
Six years of working physical rehab in nursing homes all over the area, skilled nursing, assisted living, and memory care wards with the necessary locks. Good work, if not heart breaking at times.

Sord
Aug 1, 2007, 09:45 PM
On 2007-08-01 19:14, ABDUR101 wrote:
Six years of working physical rehab in nursing homes all over the area, skilled nursing, assisted living, and memory care wards with the necessary locks. Good work, if not heart breaking at times.

I honestly have no idea how you deal with that last bit. I'm sure you find some happy times in there, but it seems incredably depressing to me. It just seems like there would be so much emotion involved, being around the old, who will probably die soon or begin dieing. Granted, not sure if you work with just the old, "physcial rehab" can be a kid with a badly shattered leg trying to walk again I would think. Still, even if everyone else thinks your a dick for seemingly being a pessimist, I gotta give you props for your job (take that as a compliment, I generally agree with you most of the time.)

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2007, 10:52 PM
People can think I'm a dickhead, I really don't care. This is an internet gaming forum of teenagers, why would I let what they think bother me? They can live their little lives dealing with their own dramas, but I've dealt with the realities of life's actual hardships and heartaches face to face, so anyone can talk as much shit or think what they like; I know where I've been and what I've done and what someone else thinks or says doesn't change that.

I've worked with the same people for years, seen them go from able-bodied and sound mind to giving up, being bound to a wheelchair rather than going home and being functional, and then finally giving up to the point that they don't even want to waste the energy to wheel themselves down a hallway to lunch. I've worked with residents who eventually found out they had cancer and were alittle bit day by day, getting weaker and losing hope as time went on, and when you'd goto see them they'd try to laugh and smile but you can tell it's a half-hearted smile that they're only doing for you.

I see shit for what it is, because I know I'm not the only one who has problems and issues; in the grand scheme someone else always has it worse than you. I expect the worst but hope for the best, that just means I don't blind myself with false hope and a fake reality.

And I've mostly worked with the elderly, though there will be times when outpatients would come in for help.

AlexCraig
Aug 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-08-01 20:52, ABDUR101 wrote:
People can think I'm a dickhead, I really don't care. This is an internet gaming forum of teenagers, why would I let what they think bother me? They can live their little lives dealing with their own dramas, but I've dealt with the realities of life's actual hardships and heartaches face to face, so anyone can talk as much shit or think what they like; I know where I've been and what I've done and what someone else thinks or says doesn't change that.

I've worked with the same people for years, seen them go from able-bodied and sound mind to giving up, being bound to a wheelchair rather than going home and being functional, and then finally giving up to the point that they don't even want to waste the energy to wheel themselves down a hallway to lunch. I've worked with residents who eventually found out they had cancer and were alittle bit day by day, getting weaker and losing hope as time went on, and when you'd goto see them they'd try to laugh and smile but you can tell it's a half-hearted smile that they're only doing for you.

I see shit for what it is, because I know I'm not the only one who has problems and issues; in the grand scheme someone else always has it worse than you. I expect the worst but hope for the best, that just means I don't blind myself with false hope and a fake reality.

And I've mostly worked with the elderly, though there will be times when outpatients would come in for help.

Regardless of how much of this much sadness you have seen, when people post here they are looking for ways to stop a situation and are asking for help or comfort. But in most of the threads I have seen you post in, you have had this "bah I could care less" kind of attitude, which is not what many people like to see. You also tend to be rude when someone tries to prove you wrong in some sort of way, calling them "childish" when they are trying to do something for the better, "uneducated" when they point out a fact that isn't wholly true.

Now, about the people you work with, that must be a real heart grabber, but this is what people like you are there for, to comfort them. My grandfather passed away in 2002 and my grandmother had alzheimers. So she kept reliving the fact that he was dead over and over until the day she died, a few months after him. I know it is difficult to try and comfort these kind of people, so I can empathize with you on that.

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
I'm decisive when I post on this forum, I don't beat around the bush. I don't post here to make friends, nor so people will like me. I'll give my advice, my perspective, and people can take it or leave it. Whether people like my perspective or not is of no concern, if you're going to post on a public forum, expect any and all kinds of replies; including ones that will snap you back to reality to, hopefully, give you some perspective that your problem or issue isn't that big of a deal. Most people would appreciate an honest, blunt opinion; but for those who don't, they usually don't want an opinion other than one that shows sympathy and attempts to console them with their problems. I also think some people take how I post as 'hostile', merely because I'm not sucking up and making a full effort to show sympathy. Again, I don't care, I don't post here to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside if they have a problem. I offer my advice, my perspective, and a "buck up" attitude. Some people just need that swift kick of reality rather than alot of ass-kissing.

And I have no problem with what I've done on the job, I surely wasn't complaining about what I've done, nor the people I've met and helped, seen progress or go stagnant. I've been there for people in some great times and some bad times; thats life. It takes no effort to be a human being when you work with people five times a week and get to know them quite well. If I did'nt enjoy what I do, the ups and downs(and let me tell you, when there are good times, they're good, and when theres bad, they're bad), I would'nt have stuck with it for six years, nor would I be having my own company in the business.

Anyway, Alzheimers; it's a bitch, then you die. Eventually.

Solstis
Aug 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
AlexCraig, you are not the proclaimed leader of PSOW's proletariat.

Anyway, on my list of fears, Alzheimers is pretty high on the list. Somewhere near cancer, HIV, SIDs, Asbestos, death by mold, yellow fever, diseased food...

AlexCraig
Aug 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
On 2007-08-01 21:43, Solstis wrote:
AlexCraig, you are not the proclaimed leader of PSOW's proletariat.

I never said I was. I was, as Abdur put it, putting up my blunt opinion.

ABDUR101
Aug 2, 2007, 12:21 AM
On 2007-08-01 21:48, AlexCraig wrote:
I never said I was. I was, as Abdur put it, putting up my blunt opinion.

Pot, Kettle, Black; much? You're basically argueing a redundant point, maybe you're bored.

Aside from alzheimers though, I have to say that what would worry me would be having to require oxygen 24/7; nothings worse than feeling like your drowning, so imagine if your only lifeline is your oxygen machine.

Though on the flipside of alzheimers, some of the FUNNEST people I've worked with were 'pleasantly confused'. Very cheerful and upbeat, in their own little world. If you smile at em, they ALWAYS smile right back with a twinkle in their eye. Sure, they had bad days when they'd get stressed over things that did'nt fit their routine; but some of the best laughs have been had with someone who wasn't entirely there; they are very blunt; and some of them are very acute with what YOU'RE thinking.

I've joked with fellow employees, and someone I was working with who was pretty far gone with alzheimers/dementia would pick up on what we were eluding to and most often have a laugh with us. Most often we'd chuckle and the person you're working with will offer a giggle and say "Thats a good one, and true too".

Thalui89
Aug 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
You know what really ticks me off? When people think they are superior to younger people just because they MAY have experienced more problems. And just because you MAY have experienced some terrible things doesn't mean those who are younger than you haven't and it doesnt mean you are neccessarily right. Young people are not stupid, their not all hormonal, their not all pricks and their not neccessarily lacking in experience. Thats all i have to say.