PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Blues

Eihwaz
Aug 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
So, I decided to check up on the status of my main scholarship at my college, as the details of the scholarship were not mentioned at all in my online account with the university.

I call up the Scholarship Office, and they inform me that while I was technically eligible in all accounts, I don't get the scholarship because they use a sort of normalizing system to "make things fair."

The upshot of this is they sort of normalize all grades down to a 4.00 GPA. This is quite bad, as my eligible 3.88 GPA was using a 5.00 GPA, considering that I had some AP classes. My "corrected" GPA was therefore 3.08, which is beneath the minimum 3.25 requirement.

So, I don't get the scholarship.

God fucking damn it. I needed that money.

Para
Aug 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear that wazzy. Universities and colleges are very picky when it comes to money and grades lol

Eihwaz
Aug 2, 2007, 10:48 PM
You're telling me.

The part that frustrates me the most is that, from everyone I heard, I would be getting the scholarship. Thus, I had very high expectations of getting the scholarship. This, of course, lead to massive disappointment. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sayara
Aug 3, 2007, 07:27 AM
Wazz; your american right?
FAFSA can help you get a grant. Its been helping me get a good 1200-1800 a semester; and i even get some money back for books too.

Its no scholarship i know but it helps.

DurakkenX
Aug 3, 2007, 07:59 AM
those AP classes are supposed to count for credits and thats why they raise your gpa to a 5.0 system, but as you can see taking them only screws you unless you get those credits...so what you need to do is go to your counselor at college and ask what you need to get those credits or if they are applicable...then if they are you will prolly need to go back to your HS and get some paperwork and signatures...

sorry to say but you're prolly the type that i told them they were dumb for taking AP classes for this specific problem and they ignored it...thus i have no sympathy.

anyways see what college credits you can get from those AP classes as that's why you paid for those classes and if you can't use them...then you're prolly out like $200 per AP classes you took in HS and out that scholarship money, which sucks, but the information was out there so it really is your own fault.

Solstis
Aug 3, 2007, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that most colleges don't do that. Anyway, it's easier to get in to college with AP classes (and by college, I mean Universities, not community), so it's a tradeoff if that is the case.

I did well on the AP tests I took, so I'm not sure where Durakken's AP-hate is coming from. Nothing bad happened to me scholarship-wise.

DurakkenX
Aug 3, 2007, 10:55 AM
it's not so much that i hate AP... i think it's a great idea, but the fact is a lot of HS artificially buff grades which ends in the situation eihwaz has with his scholarship...and then there is the fact that many colleges don't take AP credits OR the students don't realize that the AP credits are actually supposed to be used for college credits or they don't know they have to fill out paperwork or fulfill some other requirement for those credits to become active...This means that the parents of these students often end up paying money for nothing...

For example I have math and english credits for a bachelors degree, but I haven't transfered them because the college i am going to now requires that you take that class or the class higher for any credits to transfer for it...which is kinda dumb...why would i want to retake the class or do more if i have the credits i need? That's just ridiculous... But in other instances with the same system if i transfered credits from my career prep classes which are like 2 or 3 years worth of a bachelors degree... if i transferred them i would have to take the next one up and i'd get all the credits which is awesome but still a bit ridiculous...

But yeah they really don't tell you about all this garbage when your in HS...they just say it's AP, but don't tell you where it's good, for how long, or what it does to your GPA... I suggest you go check with transferring those credits if you haven't already and make sure you actually get credit for them. It may actually save you some cash that you aren't getting from the scholarship any more...and also those credits may buff your college GPA enough to allow you to get the scholarship back.