PDA

View Full Version : WOULD YOU SHUT UP ABOUT THE FF/DBZ NAMES ALREADY

Robantifast
Dec 23, 2002, 07:22 PM
Ah jeez...I'm about tired of everyone flaming people with names from DBZ/FF. There is no getting around it. Goku, Vegeta and Trunks were cool from DBZ. Sephiroth and Cloud were cool from Final Fantasy 7. I liked Squall from Final Fantasy 8, Auron from FF10 and Amarant from FF9. You're opinion may differ. Do you think we care if it does? I for one, don't. I like Final Fantasy. I like DBZ. Get over it. Guess how many games let you play as Sephiroth. One that I know of. It's called Ehrgeiz. The Sephiroth was unrealistic, and way too slow. Perhaps people wish to play as him because he was unbelievably cool. QUIT FLAMING THEM FOR IT. They're fans of Final Fantasy. GET OVER IT AND PLAY PSO.

Originality is not the issue here. People that don't know how to play is. Just because someone is named SSJ4Goku/Sephiroth/anything from FF or DBZ does not mean that they are a bad player. SO STOP PISSING THEM OFF. It's pointless. You display your stupidity all too well by calling them names. To answer the question that will undoubtedly be asked:

NO I do not have a FF/DBZ character currently. I have two original characters planned and one named Fei [Id]. No, it's not an "original" name. Get over it. I've never stolen in my life, I've only pked someone once, and that was for the heck of it because someone gave me the items and I got rid of them later. I am not a bad player, I share my items with people, I carry my weight in a team, I heal/revive people when I can. I like playing with people on PSO. I enjoy playing with Sephiroths/Clouds because I like Final Fantasy. If you don't like it, shut up and go play in a different game with "original" people. We don't enjoy playing with you. I could very well have a vendetta against FF names. I was pked by "Sir Fratley" I equipped my newly acquired Double Saber and he pked me and grabbed it. I was most angry. I cussed him out in my head. I pretended to squeeze his neck in my head. I got over it in an hour. You can too. I have faith you can. For once in your life, stop being an inconsiderate jerk and play with people because of their playing style and not because of their names.

Ah, I feel much better...

Sapphire87
Dec 23, 2002, 08:14 PM
Someone asked me a long time ago on PSO if I was a fan of FF since my character's name was Sapphire. At the time, I didn't realize that name was from an FF game. I simply picked Sapphire since I like the color blue and most of my characters had names synonomous with that color (eg. Azure, Aoi, Indigo). Fortunately for me, I haven't been harrassed for using a FF name, albeit being an obscure one at that.

Gryph
Dec 23, 2002, 08:22 PM
It is more of an originality issue than anything else. Some people just don't try to come up with a good name. So far I think I've seen the most uninspired name ever on PSO, SSJ4 Bob. I'm not kidding. I saw someone called Dragonballz on Dark Age of Camelot once. It just shows how little imagination some kids have nowadays. :/

Balthor
Dec 24, 2002, 09:44 AM
The whole issue contradicts it self in one sweet little package.

I don't care how much people whine. I'm still gonna nerf on any DBZ named dork I see.

They don't really take it hard anyway, they mostly reply with a "STFU" or "L@LZ"

00JOE
Dec 24, 2002, 11:11 PM
... Those names still suck...

It's practically a fact.

Robantifast
Dec 24, 2002, 11:41 PM
I love it when people don't read my reasons and make broad statements...if you're gonna say something, why don't you give reasons instead of just saying things that make no sense. Maybe they make sense to you, but I could use some clarification.

haterade
Dec 25, 2002, 03:47 AM
Oh man... another one with the "leave unoriginal people alone" rant...

Let's see now... it's less a fact of unoriginality and more of a fact of being common. Take a simple second to think about this example: How many DBZ names will you see compared to names from Lord of the Rings? Both are popular, right? You're bound to see a SSJGOKUTRUNKS912 ten times over before a LEGOLAS/ARAGORNxxx3... and chances are, the DBZ/FF name users are going to be the most ANNOYING players you've ever seen. Why? because DBZ is mainly a KIDS show, and in many cases, kids are IMMATURE! Surprise? DC showed that quite well, so why the hell would you expect no one to diss such common names? Hell, I'll diss a SEPHICLOUD any day of the week, as will mostly anyone, only to get a laugh out of the response "stfu u f@g roflzzzz l33t!!!" How hard is it to make a less common name? Combining two popular names like GokuCloud doesn't and won't help you much around most...

Names from popular shows/games most wouldn't mind:

-Dilandau
-Bulma
-Homer
-Bart
-Cid
-Piccolo
-Lord Van
-Miko Miyo (lol!)
-Capt. Ginew
-Vash
-Fei (I love this character too, but I'm not about to make a character out of him, unless it was an offline RPG game)

Names from popular shows most people would mind/insult:
-Goku
-Trunks
-Vegeta
-Gotenks
-SSJ anything
-Sephiroth
-Cloud
-Rika
-Sailor anything

Using the most popular characters from any super popular show is just begging for ridicule, in all honesty, at least from me. How many brain cells do you need to muster up to make up a name? Wow... incompetence is funny...

Ness
Dec 25, 2002, 06:56 AM
I'v had with all this originality-unoriginality bullshit!! Trying to be different is just as sad as trying to be the same; you're just conspiring with the nonconspirers. You should do your own thing and be yourself whether you're the same or different. Don't alter yourself just to fit in or stand out; it's a lie to yourself and your peers.

That's why alot of punks and gothics piss me off. They TRY to be different. They're not any more different then we are on the inside they are just trying to revolt and I'm not just making accusations either. I've done research on many (20-25) gothics and punk and I've figured out that only 2 or 3 of them are really true to who they are.

Those school posters should not say "dare to be different" they should say "Dare to be Yourself"

And in short don't be be a dumbass and get a DBZ of FF name just to be "part of the crowd", but don't get an "orginal" name "just to be different". Be true to who you are, not who people want you to be.

Alos don't make fun of the DBZ anf FF kids either even if they are just "trying to be the same" they don't deserve to be ridiculed.

Balthor
Dec 25, 2002, 08:17 AM
Is it that fucking hard to understand that DBZ/FF names god damn suck? Shouldn't be to most people with a brain cell above the number of limbs you can count. Then again, the people who name them selves after these names come to mind. . .

I don't have to give a reason. It's common sense that you're gonna be ridiculed for having a name used enough times to leave shadow marks on the PSO servers.

Overall, I hate them all, and no one give me all that "it's your name, put-long-quote-from-dead-poet-about-names-here" bullshit.

Love, Balthy

Eum
Dec 25, 2002, 08:31 PM
On 2002-12-23 16:22, Robantifast wrote:
I was pked by "Sir Fratley" I equipped my newly acquired Double Saber and he pked me and grabbed it. I was most angry. I cussed him out in my head. I pretended to squeeze his neck in my head.

XD Oh my goodness, you are corny.

Maverynthia
Dec 25, 2002, 10:18 PM
Truly it isn't the name that is sucking here...it's the fact that the people with said names are n00bs who can't speak and only want to leech off of everybody else.... I've seen it already!!

pixelate
Dec 26, 2002, 01:14 AM
Eh, the names could also be a tribute to what these players enjoy, not these players trying to be original. I'd rather play with people who can appreciate something than with people who are so full of themselves that everything they do has to be completely specific to themselves.

Guile
Dec 28, 2002, 04:33 AM
I once went in a lobby full of a bunch of guys who looked alike and were all named Trunks and they said they were the PSO policed...

That was a scary day..thought the po po came to get me!

Its funny when they spell the name wrong..like "sethiroth"

CajunSamurai
Jan 1, 2003, 04:44 AM
The most unoriginal character/name I have is Ghaleon, but hey... he's also the first character I modeled after an existing one. I was brainstorming for days just what the hell I'd name my FOmar, and never really had any good ideas. So when I fired up PSO Ep. 1&2, I played with the designs a little and bam, there ya go.
Personally, I much, MUCH prefer original characters and names, but I can understand why people base them off existing ones. My scenario above, for example... I don't always have a lot of creativity, so basing my FOmar off one of my favorite RPG villains worked great.
That said, the majority of my characters are originals with Ghaleon being from LUNAR and Kirika and Chloe being from Noir.

When GokuSSJ69 joins my Challenge mode game though, I KNOW that all hell is gonna break loose for us all. I mean, seriously now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_innocent.gif

Dyras
Jan 1, 2003, 01:46 PM
For the most part I use my own names, (exception of my HUnewearl Nei) I have a hard time grasping the idea that people can't make their own names.

this is my list

Nei (viridia)
Urmitse (bluefull)
Khas (Unoriginal but got me pinkal for my force)
TR (Redria, short weird name but I like the character)
Blorg (purplenum, don't laugh)

Most common names I will choose include Dyras and Dynra for main characters, will make characters by those names eventually online probably

Text below unrelated to PSO but related to the name topic:

I still remember Starcraft where you would find every other screenname would be a dbz character with like ssj4_trunks or something, characters that didn't even make it to the level. (just a thought)

I have to laugh one time, people kept making comments at me in DAoC about one of my characters names, Dereth, I picked it randomly but I guess its the name of the planet in AC from what people told me.

Ness
Jan 1, 2003, 05:16 PM
I often get comments about my name being from Earthbound, but none of them are negative. I picked Ness just because I like the way it sounds.

Cloud_01
Jan 7, 2003, 12:02 AM
On 2002-12-25 00:47, haterade wrote:
Oh man... another one with the "leave unoriginal people alone" rant...

Let's see now... it's less a fact of unoriginality and more of a fact of being common. Take a simple second to think about this example: How many DBZ names will you see compared to names from Lord of the Rings? Both are popular, right? You're bound to see a SSJGOKUTRUNKS912 ten times over before a LEGOLAS/ARAGORNxxx3... and chances are, the DBZ/FF name users are going to be the most ANNOYING players you've ever seen. Why? because DBZ is mainly a KIDS show, and in many cases, kids are IMMATURE! Surprise? DC showed that quite well, so why the hell would you expect no one to diss such common names? Hell, I'll diss a SEPHICLOUD any day of the week, as will mostly anyone, only to get a laugh out of the response "stfu u f@g roflzzzz l33t!!!" How hard is it to make a less common name? Combining two popular names like GokuCloud doesn't and won't help you much around most...

Names from popular shows/games most wouldn't mind:

-Dilandau
-Bulma
-Homer
-Bart
-Cid
-Piccolo
-Lord Van
-Miko Miyo (lol!)
-Capt. Ginew
-Vash
-Fei (I love this character too, but I'm not about to make a character out of him, unless it was an offline RPG game)

Names from popular shows most people would mind/insult:
-Goku
-Trunks
-Vegeta
-Gotenks
-SSJ anything
-Sephiroth
-Cloud
-Rika
-Sailor anything

Using the most popular characters from any super popular show is just begging for ridicule, in all honesty, at least from me. How many brain cells do you need to muster up to make up a name? Wow... incompetence is funny...

Omni-SqwirL
Jan 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
I could care less if people use DBZ names...the more players that take up used names, the more original names they leave out for other people that don't want to use cliche names.

I just read that paragraph, it makes sense, but not fully.

Guile
Jan 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
Hey if its harder for people to come up with names for them self then so be it..maybe they just really like the damn name...

Goku > everyone

hah

Zolpner
Jan 22, 2003, 04:38 AM
i think that the names are being used ot much if you see someone with that name already to thin out the numbers come up with something else PLEASE

i use to use the name -=Nanaki=- on starcraft but thats because i was in a FF clan the name was required.

(PS Nanaki is RedXIII's real name)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2003-01-22 01:41 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jan 22, 2003, 10:43 AM
Use a DBZ name, good for you. Use a DBZ name and be a lamer at the same time, watch me make ground meat outta you.

The big thing is that the creators of DBZ lacked originality. Want proof? Trunks... I can hardly imagine someone named after a pair of shorts. And thanks to my Japanese friend, Gohan is Japanese for "cooked rice" There's a DBZ character called "cooked rice"!

Buttlord GT (http://www.atomictoy.org/comics/buttlordgt/buttlordgt.html) is probably the best thing that's ever come out since DBZ. I mean... Just read it, okay?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Darkmage13
Jan 23, 2003, 09:13 PM
You think PSO has it bad, I bet lots of you guys don't play Everquest. PSO I can understand because multiple people can have the same name. I'm not all that surprised to see 1000 different HUmars called trunks with long purple hair. I still harass people with goofy names from DBZ and a lesser extent Trigun just cause they're done to death, at least pick an obscure character or someone who deserves respect like Mr. Satan.

Everquest is 1000x worse though. Everquest doesn't let you name characters after popular characters from various shows or books. It also doesn't let characters use a name if someone else already has it. Instead of using this to creat original names people make names that bypass the name filter.
You wouldn't believe the number of wood elf rangers after LotR came out that had names like this:
Leggolass
Ligoles
Lagolaaas
Legolies
Legalas
Lagolos

and about 50 billion other variations because GOD FORBID YOU MAKE SOMETHING UP!

AnimalMother
Jan 24, 2003, 08:45 AM
The names that really annoy me Everquest have nothing to do with people being completely unoriginal. No, the names in Everquest that piss me off the most are the names like Healur on a cleric, Meatshield on a fighter, and 90% of the Rogues in the game having stab or poke somewhere in their names. In protest I named my Cleric Illlllll and my druid Xyxxyxxzx or something like that. Needless to say I never got another request for a rez or sow again. The GMs forced me to change their damn names to Ililith and Xyzx.

Elixer
Jan 26, 2003, 03:55 AM
i dont really care what names people choose doesnt bother me to see 100 gokus and trunks

Tryce
Feb 1, 2003, 12:43 PM
On 2002-12-25 00:47, haterade wrote:
You're bound to see a SSJGOKUTRUNKS912 ten times over before a LEGOLAS/ARAGORNxxx3... and chances are, the DBZ/FF name users are going to be the most ANNOYING players you've ever seen. Why? because DBZ is mainly a KIDS show, and in many cases, kids are IMMATURE! Surprise?

Well, your right they are mostly kids, kids are annoying because they are young and immature, but they don't think at the same lvl as you as to create some "worthy" name. I would just let them go, I don't go around insulting everybody with 'GOKU' or 'Vegeta' as their name, only those who start trouble. Plus I agree, the more they take up 'those' names the better it is for the rest of us who come out with half way decent ones. If your intention was to change the attitudes of people here on psow who may use those names, with respect, I think your talking to the wrong people.

BeatZero
Feb 3, 2003, 03:31 PM
i personally just try to use names i dont see all the time, well except Zero (i just love the sound of it). i like to be the only or one of the only people with the name i have. Come on have you ever seen someone named Ramar?