PDA

View Full Version : offline AOI

SStrikerR
Aug 5, 2007, 01:04 AM
i hate sonic team for not making offline multiplayer in AOI. i will buy aoi, but ever since i stopped playing psu last week, meh, im sticking to pso for now. i mean really, screw no multiplayer unless u pay for it, paying is a waste, all u get is a steaming pile of grinding shit in ur disc drive, psu is booooooooooooring.

MrNomad
Aug 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
On 2007-08-04 23:04, Ryan113 wrote:
i hate sonic team for not making offline multiplayer in AOI. i will buy aoi, but ever since i stopped playing psu last week, meh, im sticking to pso for now. i mean really, screw no multiplayer unless u pay for it, paying is a waste, all u get is a steaming pile of grinding shit in ur disc drive, psu is booooooooooooring.

Who the hell cares about offline multilpayer in an online rpg? > > if you even have people over, wouldnt you rather play fighting games, competition games like sonic riders/need for speed etc ?

ABDUR101
Aug 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
I always enjoy co-op games with my cousin and nephews. Competitive games are fine, but most often I enjoy co-op play. PSU has basic flaws as a game, some people can look pas them, others can't. It's why I stopped not long after getting it.

MrNomad
Aug 5, 2007, 05:21 PM
On 2007-08-05 14:36, ABDUR101 wrote:
I always enjoy co-op games with my cousin and nephews. Competitive games are fine, but most often I enjoy co-op play. PSU has basic flaws as a game, some people can look pas them, others can't. It's why I stopped not long after getting it.

If its co-op you want, then you dont hafta look for rpg only ones. There are some good rpg ones, but usually the non-rpg ones are more fun, at least to me

ABDUR101
Aug 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
I think Ryan is more so referring to the fact that atleast Xbox PSO had offline splitscreen, thus you could play with friends and family if you did'nt want to pay to play online. Sega and Sonic Team are have a bad rep with me for making games that have shoddy networking, plus a fee to play.

The one game that was ok to play online was Chrome Hounds, but that was merely a peer to peer system, not their own servers. So whoever logged into the 'guild' first, was the host of the voice chat for the entire guild lobby, likewise, whoever started a match was the host of the match, and if the host left, everyone was booted out of the match(this led to alot of abuse in-game by people who did'nt want to lose matches).

The gripe with Sega and ST is atleast warranted; to me they're just a grubby company that attempts to get by on as little effort as possible; as has been evidenced over quite afew years. They are not what they used to be in the Genesis era, atleast not to me.

AlexCraig
Aug 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
I never even had a chance to play online PSO. Now a PSO-ish version of PSU does not have offline multiplayer? Tch! Glad I stayed with PSO.

Sinue_v2
Aug 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
Eh, v.1 & v.2 didn't have offline multiplayer. PSO PC and Blue Burst didn't have offline multiplayer either. Ep III did, but really - why?

It's not like PSO had a real strong history of multiplayer functionality. Considering how badly PSU chugs on the PS2 as it is - I don't think it would have been possible to make PSU splitscreen even if Sonic Team had wanted to. Seriously. Think about it. The PC is not a multiplayer oriented machine outside of online or LAN. Really, how many offline splitscreen PC games can you think of off the top of your head? And multiplayer is a pretty big addition which would require a lot of time to code and could be costly to impliment. I don't think the 360 has the kind of playerbase it needs to justify an addition like that.

There's a lot of justifiable things to bitch about in PSU/AoI - but splitscreen offline play isn't one of them.

AlexCraig
Aug 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
On 2007-08-05 17:15, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Eh, v.1 & v.2 didn't have offline multiplayer. PSO PC and Blue Burst didn't have offline multiplayer either. Ep III did, but really - why?

I don't have v.1 and 2. I just have basic GC PSO Epi 1&2. I wish I was able to go online PSO in its hayday.

Scejntjynahl
Aug 5, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well what about LAN? That would have eliminated the need for split screen. And sometimes it is fun to have your friends nearby to play with you. Order pizza and sit back, you know. But at the same time Sinue is right, it was only the GC and Xbox versions that had split screen. The thing that we got used to was transfering items between our characters, but PSU at least did adress that with the incomunity storage box. Besides PSO and PSU are actually two complete different animals. Its amusing how we can't seem to let go of the old (though it was good, it is old).

AlexCraig
Aug 5, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, for me it isn't preferring old to new. It is preferring one game over another. I just like PSO more, but that is just my opinion.

ABDUR101
Aug 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
I agree with you Sinue; however as Scen said, system link/LAN play is always a welcome addition, and is hardly anything to code in. This is just the age old "Newer isn't always better". PSU does some things right, but it certainly does quite afew things wrong.

I think alot of us were expecting ST to keep the good, work out the bad; and all we really got was an extensive grinding time-sink of a game. Good for business, bad for fans who were hoping for more than x10 the grindfest.

Oh well!

AlexCraig
Aug 5, 2007, 10:33 PM
I agree. Back when PSU was first heard of, I was ecstatic and thought that it would be like a more upgraded PSO. But after playing it for a while, I was disappointed and went back to PSO.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 08:17 AM
Wait, i can LAN play PSU? How?

ABDUR101
Aug 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
On 2007-08-06 06:17, Aluria wrote:

You can't; thats the point. There's no multiplayer unless you're paying/playing through the online service available.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
booo ._.;

Ryna
Aug 6, 2007, 11:09 AM

Phantasy Star Universe does not have LAN support. If you want to play with your friends, you will all have to go online or take turns sharing a controller. The people posting in this thread were commenting on how it would be a nice feature.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
On 2007-08-06 09:09, Ryna wrote:

Phantasy Star Universe does not have LAN support. If you want to play with your friends, you will all have to go online or take turns sharing a controller. The people posting in this thread were commenting on how it would be a nice feature.

Sorry! I miss read ; ;