PDA

View Full Version : Time To Get Together And Get Ourselves A Keyboard

KouHotaru
Dec 23, 2002, 11:58 PM
(Admin: Please do not bump or lock this thread, as this is a plea to start a momevent for obtaining a keyboard, not information on how to get or make one)

In recent news, Nintendo of America was not planning right out to bring over the two bonus disks obtained by Japanese players who reserved Zelda: The Wind Waker. However, after about 500 or so calls directly to the company's information line later inquireing about NoA's plans on the disks, they have announced that the disks will indeed be brought over in a similar fashion to the Japanese promotion.

This is how this relates to PSO. Using the same sort of thinking, it is quite possible to ask the users of PSO to start calling AGETEC and telling the fools that we need ourselves ASCII's board. Yes, I fear that it is a long distance call. But a short, simple request/question does the job nicely, and if you feel like talking to them for more than 20 minutes, go ahead and use that service that ALF and Hulk Hogan likes to shill. Now keep in mind the following should you choose to accept your mission:

***DO NOT*** call Nintendo /OR/ Sega. They have nothing to do with this, nor do they give a flying hoot about the process since it's purely a third party device.

PLEASE be polite and curteous. Telling them 'frag you for not bringing out a keyboard you stupid aftfrackers!' (or something along that line, watered down for general audiences or not ^.-) does not help us in the slightest, and you should go back to trying to kill people on Quake Arena or Unreal Tournament if you feel compelled to do so, you angry little child.

Remember, with expressing a interest to the companies that is most likely to able to make us / domesticly release for us a keyboard, we are showing that we do indeed care about this game and are ready and willing to shell out the cash for a board... if it comes over here that is ^-^ And by all means, feel free to drop http://www.gckeyboardnow.com while you're talking to them.

(For AGETEC's number and buisness hours, please check http://www.agetec.com)

PlatinumGame
Dec 24, 2002, 12:47 AM
This is old and pointless. Sorry. ^o^

Foggy_Pete
Dec 24, 2002, 02:06 AM
old and pointless maybe but shes completely (cont spel) right about it.
we NEED to get something done about or keyboard situation. pso used to be so full of interesting people and now sega has taken every step to skrew over and stomp PSO into a dry unrewarding experience. to be honest, im better off with the equaly silent NPCS who dont seem to have the habbit of completely abandoning you in mid combat over the appearance of a red box. sega really shoved its foot up its ass...
suprise suprise

Ghen
Dec 24, 2002, 09:58 AM
Your opinion has been noted PlatinumGame, thank you for the time and effort that it took to write down such an uplifting and enouraging thought... and please, drive through!

TeamPhalanx
Dec 24, 2002, 11:54 AM
They already know about the keyboard situation...

Quite frankly, I don't see a big market. PSO is selling luke-warm at best, and is the only online game for the GC, and as far as I know, there aren't any other online games coming soon for the GC.

This all means that a company is relying on 1 game for the success of a peripheral - one that's not cheap to make. I can see a converter of sorts being releasd, but to rely on a small market and what will certainly be small profits is... not a good business decision.

DanceOfTheDeer
Dec 24, 2002, 01:07 PM
I really dont think we need a keyboard for PSO, because how are you going to type something in the heat of battle, hm? ya ur tryin to tell ur buddy "Back me up before this Hildetorr ge---" and ur already dead.

neko-chan
Dec 24, 2002, 01:18 PM
On 2002-12-24 10:07, DanceOfTheDeer wrote:
I really dont think we need a keyboard for PSO, because how are you going to type something in the heat of battle, hm? ya ur tryin to tell ur buddy "Back me up before this Hildetorr ge---" and ur already dead.

n00b

No, sorry, I'm just kidding and you have a point. But we used to play PSO with gamepad and keyboard during the DC days, and it was awesome.

But Phalanx has a good point as usual: if no one can make serious money from the keyboard business, there will most likely be no keyboard business.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-24 10:22 ]</font>

PlatinumGame
Dec 24, 2002, 02:36 PM
On 2002-12-24 06:58, Ghen wrote:
Your opinion has been noted PlatinumGame, thank you for the time and effort that it took to write down such an uplifting and enouraging thought... and please, drive through!

I don't like to lie. ^o^

KouHotaru
Dec 24, 2002, 04:02 PM
Nice to know that everyone's being all nice and cheery on the subject *snorts*.

Wang_Tang
Dec 24, 2002, 04:13 PM
On 2002-12-24 10:07, DanceOfTheDeer wrote:

i dont recall ever even thinking of talking while there was a hildetorr around

PlatinumGame
Dec 24, 2002, 04:25 PM
On 2002-12-24 13:02, KouHotaru wrote:
Nice to know that everyone's being all nice and cheery on the subject *snorts*.

Pigs and crack-heads snort. Which one of the two are you? 7_7;

Tavia
Dec 24, 2002, 05:46 PM
On 2002-12-23 20:58, KouHotaru wrote:
(snip)

If you really want a keyboard to be released here, you should not be contacting ASCII/AGETEC.

Although the example you provided considering the GC Zelda discs is good in some cases, it does not apply here. ASCII is a manufacturer who pulled out of the United States a very long time ago, and it's very rare for their peripherals to be released in any country other than Japan. However, Nintendo has large company headquarters in Japan, Europe and America, so this is not an issue for them. Furthermore, discs cost far less to manufacture and ship, while peripherals are heavier, eat up more materials, and cost a lot more to distribute.

ASCII would have no distribution, it would be very complicated for them to advertise the product, and all in all it would be at a loss to them.

While your heart is in the right place, you are pursuing the wrong dream.

If anyone, you should contact MadCatz. They have specifically stated that they are seriously considering manufacturing a GameCube keyboard, and that they have received a lot of positive feedback. Additionally, you want to rely upon a domestic manufacturer more than one that's out of country, because they have far less costs to worry about. They are a lot more likely to build and sell one, because they can cut a healthier profit than an out-of-country company ever could.

If you want a keyboard, call them. Calling ASCII is the wrong thing to do.

http://www.madcatz.com

Also, Interact has clearly stated that they have no plans whatsoever to build a GameCube keyboard. I am not sure as to Pelican's stance, but Mad Catz is a better manufacturer anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tavia on 2002-12-24 14:50 ]</font>

Lord_Data
Dec 24, 2002, 08:18 PM
anyone but madcatz please...madcatz in my opinion makes pretty crappy stuff...the only thing of theres that didn't break of mine was my ps2 memory card...one of the clear blue ones...everything else...forget-a-bout-it....anyways try one of the other leading companies in the usb about it...i know there are a couple more other than madcatz...oh and as for the person that said that pso is selling luke-warm i do believe that is due to shortage of the game...not because the fan-base insn't out there...just my opinion on it...and yeah a keyboard would be nice but i think i am on enough personal quests at the moment;)...i have a friend that goes to school with me whos father works in the industry i'll ask him some stuff to see if i can post any kind of useful information here

ginko990
Dec 24, 2002, 08:37 PM
If you thought ahead, its christmas...Im sure you could have gotten your parents to pay for importing one, thats what I did. 86 bucks.

AzureBlaze
Dec 24, 2002, 11:59 PM
Ginko990, where did you cause your parents to import one for 86$?
That is the best price I've seen for one yet, and if you feel that their service is good and that it is easy to order, I would very much consider ordering one from the same place.

I might act all cranky over the hybrid's tiny keys and steep price (it starts at 50$ for JPs) but waiting, speculating, and getting irritated by not having one is becoming worse then shelling out the cash. Grr.

KouHotaru
Dec 25, 2002, 03:38 PM
Bah it serves me right for trying to get a effort together in this motley forum... pathetic insults from PlatniumGame aside. I am not a very 'team effort' kind of gal, and when peers and instructors wish to know why, I just say 'school and the internet'. And this was a fine example of my reasoning. So just stop bickering, stop naysaying that it's too late and impossible (because such attitudes are self-fufilling, see COM 100 at your local institution of higher learning for more info), because it's really dampering on a allready volitile board community.

For those who were interested, thanks anyways and have a happy holiday, see you on PSO!

Maverynthia
Dec 25, 2002, 05:47 PM
Ignore the n00b Kou, I'm all for a keyboard no matter WHO makes it. And Madcatz has a guarntee on their memory cards...

I'm trying to go for Madcatz since it was pointed out that they are highly considering making one...

All these other negative people need to stop posting on a topic YOUR not interested in... Go and import your damn keyboard for $86 or whatever....FROM A THIRD PARTY! Ascii isn't Nintendo and therefore is 3rd party anyways...

Reven
Dec 25, 2002, 07:08 PM
I can see Phalanx's point, when it comes to business it is a bad move. But is there any point in not taking the 15 mins it would take to send an e-mail or make a call to MadCatz? Esp. if they have made the statement that they are interested in making a keyboard?

I've heard some bad stuff about MadCatz but I think any keyboard is better than none at this point... I couldn't even use one (offline only ATM) but I might send a message to em anyways..

ginko990
Dec 25, 2002, 07:09 PM
On 2002-12-25 14:47, Maverynthia wrote:

All these other negative people need to stop posting on a topic YOUR not interested in... Go and import your damn keyboard for $86 or whatever....FROM A THIRD PARTY! Ascii isn't Nintendo and therefore is 3rd party anyways...

I already did. And I also dont recall saying that Ascii wasn't a third party company, I need a keyboard, and I dont give two poops and frig who makes it or how much it costs.

Tartare
Dec 25, 2002, 08:04 PM
you'd better believe that i want a GC keyboard. i doubt PSO will be the only online game for my GC, but nonetheless, i want a keyboard that isn't going to cost as much as 2 new GC/xbox/ps2 games, or a halfway decent video card, or a lot of other things i could get for $100 (because, let's face it - finding it for less is pretty rare).

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 12:19 AM
On 2002-12-25 12:38, KouHotaru wrote:
Bah it serves me right for trying to get a effort together in this motley forum... pathetic insults from PlatniumGame aside. I am not a very 'team effort' kind of gal, and when peers and instructors wish to know why, I just say 'school and the internet'. And this was a fine example of my reasoning. So just stop bickering, stop naysaying that it's too late and impossible (because such attitudes are self-fufilling, see COM 100 at your local institution of higher learning for more info), because it's really dampering on a allready volitile board community.

For those who were interested, thanks anyways and have a happy holiday, see you on PSO!

I'm very glad to see that you considered my post a rant. I was hoping that you would see it as worthwhile advice. You have to look at the entire picture from a corporation's point of view, not simply a fan's point of view.

If you want a keyboard to be made, you should ask the appropriate company, considering their material and retail resources in your respective country. If you ignore these traits, sadly, no amount of hope will get you what you want.

I am sorry if it offends you that people disagree with your specific effort in trying to have AGETEC contacted. However, I do not side with those who simply choose to slander you. I most certainly do want a keyboard to be made -- I have contacted several companies privately, which is not so tough to do. From my efforts, I have discovered that Mad Catz is willing to make one.

The fact that anyone would ignore this is baffling. A domestic manufacturer, proven in the peripherals marketplace, with obviously beneficial resources... compared to an out-of-county manufacturer who does not have local resources. Why would you not pursue the more likely to comply of the two, especially when they have already stated they are seriously considering it?

EDIT: Also, I have worked in the world of videogames in the past, and I can assure you that Mad Catz is one of the best manufacturers out there. While some of you may have had bad experiences with their products, you may not have noticed their exceptionally long warranties -- a lot of their items are guaranteed for life, which no other peripheral manufacturer I know of offers. Further, they are certainly better than Pelican (who also supplies all of GameStop/Software Etc./Funcoland's "store brand" stuff) and Interact/Performance (who supply all of Electronics Boutiques/Stop N' Save Software's store brand items). Plus, in some cases, something is better than nothing at all. As was stated previously in this thread, it takes you seconds to E-Mail Mad Catz and say you want a keyboard. So why not give it a shot?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tavia on 2002-12-25 21:23 ]</font>

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2002, 01:00 AM
The problem with any company in general in making a keyboard for the GCN is that the audience they would be making it for would be so limited. There are several reasons why this is so, I'll just list a couple.

1. Nintendo or any third party developer at that, isn't going to be making very many online games, and right now, I don't see anything in the near future that could justify purchasing a keyboard.

2. The only people that would actually benefit from owning a keyboard would be PSO players, no other game supports the use of it in the US.

3. By the time a company or business could actually start manufacturing the peripheral most of their target audience would be gone anyways.

This is why I see no keyboard coming on the US shores. It just isn't feasable for a company to release a device for one game, and since PSO is targeted more towards a niche, hardcore audience (because of the monthly pay to play structure) the likelyhood drops even more. A company isn't going to accomodate the minority of people if doesn't draw any profits.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-25 22:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-25 22:02 ]</font>

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 01:03 AM
On 2002-12-25 22:00, hollowtip wrote:
A company isn't going to accomodate the minority of people if doesn't draw any profits.

A company does not have to release an item in large quantities if they are worried about leftovers remaining on store shelves. Further, Mad Catz has released plenty of specialty products before. Third-party peripheral manufacturers are always willing to try something new, and attempting to fill in a niche that no one has before. It's what they do, and how they stay alive. Remember, making peripherals is all they do. They do not make games or systems -- this is what they are all about.

It is not difficult to pull a profit off of a cheaply manufactured item when you already have all the resources and connections you need. You can evaluate the market and let the peripherals trickle out appropriately.

Mad Catz already ships thousands of items throughout the country to countless retailers on a very regular basis. To include keyboards with their shipments would not vastly increase their costs. Furthermore, as said, they have released specialty items in the past for which the market was small, such as the Panther joystick for the DC. Further still, they have specifically said they are seriously looking into making a GameCube keyboard.

Let me repeat that: They have specifically stated they are seriously looking into making a GameCube keyboard.

What more can keyboard fans ask for? If you need to pursue someone, this is the company.

If you want to give up, you won't be disappointed when you receive nothing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tavia on 2002-12-25 22:06 ]</font>

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2002, 02:40 AM
On 2002-12-25 22:03, Tavia wrote:

On 2002-12-25 22:00, hollowtip wrote:
A company isn't going to accomodate the minority of people if doesn't draw any profits.

A company does not have to release an item in large quantities if they are worried about leftovers remaining on store shelves. Further, Mad Catz has released plenty of specialty products before. Third-party peripheral manufacturers are always willing to try something new, and attempting to fill in a niche that no one has before. It's what they do, and how they stay alive. Remember, making peripherals is all they do. They do not make games or systems -- this is what they are all about.

It is not difficult to pull a profit off of a cheaply manufactured item when you already have all the resources and connections you need. You can evaluate the market and let the peripherals trickle out appropriately.

Mad Catz already ships thousands of items throughout the country to countless retailers on a very regular basis. To include keyboards with their shipments would not vastly increase their costs. Furthermore, as said, they have released specialty items in the past for which the market was small, such as the Panther joystick for the DC. Further still, they have specifically said they are seriously looking into making a GameCube keyboard.

Let me repeat that: They have specifically stated they are seriously looking into making a GameCube keyboard.

What more can keyboard fans ask for? If you need to pursue someone, this is the company.

If you want to give up, you won't be disappointed when you receive nothing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tavia on 2002-12-25 22:06 ]</font>

I wasn't actually ruling out the possibilities that a keyboard would be coming to the US, just listing reasons why I don't see it being worth while for any peripheral related business to release something that isn't in at least medium demand over here. I find it hard to believe a peripheral where only one current game supports compatibility to be stocked on American soil. At least the Panther Joystick could be played with several other games, a keyboard for GCN isn't necessary for gameplay, and there is 0 comformation of any other future game releases that could take advantage of a keyboard.

This is the main reason why I'm waiting for the Xbox release instead of getting thrown into the constant bullshit which consists of this and the shortage of Ethernet/Broadban adapters. Voice communication support is extremely welcomed on the Xbox version and the thought of MS not charging a monthly fee is even more enticing.

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2002, 03:28 AM
What someone really needs to do is find an individual who works for a major business or electronic store who fixes electronical equipment (Radio Shack maybe?) or works with wire splitting that can at least try and take a tradtional keyboard and switch the connector with a standard GCN controler connector (I've seen it done before with a Dreamcast controler, don't see why it wouldn't work with a GCN one) and then maybe you guys could chat online with ease. It might not be the most convenient way to go about things but it's better than sitting around waiting for someone to make one for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-26 00:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-26 00:30 ]</font>

Ghen
Dec 26, 2002, 03:59 AM
He who tries, may succeed or fail...

He who never tries, will always fail...

2Xtreme
Dec 26, 2002, 06:11 AM
Wait! WAIT! WAAAAIIIT!
All is not lost! I emailed Sega, Nintendo (yeah I know you said not to contact them) and Agetec asking for them to release a keyboard here! I am planning to phone Agetec tomorow.

Some people are trying to help! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 02:50 PM
On 2002-12-25 23:40, hollowtip wrote:

I wasn't actually ruling out the possibilities that a keyboard would be coming to the US, just listing reasons why I don't see it being worth while for any peripheral related business to release something that isn't in at least medium demand over here. I find it hard to believe a peripheral where only one current game supports compatibility to be stocked on American soil. At least the Panther Joystick could be played with several other games, a keyboard for GCN isn't necessary for gameplay, and there is 0 comformation of any other future game releases that could take advantage of a keyboard.

There are plenty of reasons as to why the manufacturer would create such an item. As aforementioned, Mad Catz already has the resources, and they would not have to obtain new retail contacts or anything of the sort. They could use existing materials which are available to them and distribute the keyboards appropriately. They do not have to manufacture the keyboards in massive numbers, and especially since they have no current competition, they would easily be able to cut a profit.

A company does not have to sell something in the hundreds of thousands to consider it worthwhile. They merely have to cut a profit, and that is not as difficult as you are making it sound. Why do you think some products have limited runs, are released as special editions, and so on, so forth? Either an item can be released as a collectible or as something forewarned to become scarce. Also, if you already have the connections, it will not cost you more money to produce something in limited numbers than it would for you to make it in mass quantities. If anything, it will cost you less, leaving more room for profitability.

This is the main reason why I'm waiting for the Xbox release instead of getting thrown into the constant bullshit which consists of this and the shortage of Ethernet/Broadban adapters. Voice communication support is extremely welcomed on the Xbox version and the thought of MS not charging a monthly fee is even more enticing.

In this case, I must say, to each their own. Although I originally found voice chat to be interesting, I remembered what the average PSO player is like, and really would not want to hear their voices. The lobbies, when packed, can be bad enough. Fortunately, GC PSO is a lot more desirable -- at least, to me personally -- than DC PSO was, and I've enjoyed a generally better gaming society. Still, there are bigots, inconsiderate people, and so on, so forth... and there is a general lack of manners. But, that's also true to life, so I don't consider it a big deal.

I'm just glad I don't have to hear them screaming their stupidity. Text is much easier to ignore, and more discreet as well.

PlatinumGame
Dec 26, 2002, 04:45 PM
On 2002-12-25 12:38, KouHotaru wrote:

Meh. I R $0rrY. Good luck to you on your efforts torward getting a keyboard for the U.S, but I still don't see it making much of a difference.

On 2002-12-25 14:47, Maverynthia wrote:
Ignore the n00b Kou, I'm all for a keyboard no matter WHO makes it. And Madcatz has a guarntee on their memory cards...

I'm trying to go for Madcatz since it was pointed out that they are highly considering making one...

OMF, shut up. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif MadCatz products are trash in my experiences.

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2002, 04:49 PM
There are plenty of reasons as to why the manufacturer would create such an item. As aforementioned, Mad Catz already has the resources, and they would not have to obtain new retail contacts or anything of the sort. They could use existing materials which are available to them and distribute the keyboards appropriately. They do not have to manufacture the keyboards in massive numbers, and especially since they have no current competition, they would easily be able to cut a profit.

A company does not have to sell something in the hundreds of thousands to consider it worthwhile. They merely have to cut a profit, and that is not as difficult as you are making it sound. Why do you think some products have limited runs, are released as special editions, and so on, so forth? Either an item can be released as a collectible or as something forewarned to become scarce. Also, if you already have the connections, it will not cost you more money to produce something in limited numbers than it would for you to make it in mass quantities. If anything, it will cost you less, leaving more room for profitability.

Although I do understand your reasoning, the point I think your failing to understand is that they would be making the keyboard for one game only. If you were to buy it, you would only be able to use it with PSO, and since, at the very most, a 1/3 of the people that actually buy the game venture online, their audience is reduced even further. The only way I could see a keyboard being marketed over here is if Madcatz could bring the cost way down ($15-$20) which they have done in the past with other peripherals. What would they put on the back of the box to advertise?

Games that take advantage of the Madcatz boardcatz:

PSO

Games that will take advantage of the boardcatz in the future:

It's up in the air. Who knows?

I just don't see Madcatz or any company for that matter saying, "Hey there's no GCN keyboard on the market, and PSO has the support for one, and we have no idea if any games in the future will support the use of it, so it's a great idea to make one."

Limited Edition PS2's for example are nothing special besides their rarity. All they do is change the color of plastic and brand it with a limited edition logo somewhere on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-26 13:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2002-12-26 13:53 ]</font>

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2002, 05:06 PM
Another thought I had. How about just telling them to make a keyboard GCN adapter? This would be a lot more cost efficient and easier to make.

Tavia
Dec 26, 2002, 08:33 PM
On 2002-12-26 14:06, hollowtip wrote:
Another thought I had. How about just telling them to make a keyboard GCN adapter? This would be a lot more cost efficient and easier to make.

It would be terrific. The only thing I wonder, however, is if the GC PSO will work with anything other than a keyboard like ASCII's. Does it have to be all-in-one, or is PSO programmed to accept keyboard input from another controller port? If it is not, then a specialty item would have to be made, and that would effectively nullify the chances of another company producing one.

Also, I do see your points, but I believe we will have to agree to disagree. Filling a hole that no one else has stepped forward to handle is good corporate logic, if you are certain that there are people who want that hole to be filled. Such is the case with a GC keyboard. Even if it is only used with PSO, such exclusivity never stopped anyone from producing DDR pads, or third-party "Samba de Amigo" maracas, or "Para Para Paradise" receivers, et cetera. Although the DDR pads are an exception, the aforementioned items can only be used with one game... but they were produced, and sold out. The "Samba de Amigo" third party maracas were particularly popular, but were also produced in limited quantities, so demand was very high.

And Mad Catz could easily generate the same desire with a GC keyboard, even for just one game.

RagMasterRappy
Dec 26, 2002, 09:44 PM
hollowtip: Don't be stupid. PSO isn't going to be the only online game.

hollowtip
Dec 29, 2002, 04:54 PM
On 2002-12-26 18:44, RagMasterRappy wrote:
hollowtip: Don't be stupid. PSO isn't going to be the only online game.

Did I ever say once say that PSO was going to be the only online game that the GCN is going to offer? No. I was saying right now, at this moment, there is only one online game and their is nothing that is scheduled to go online in the near future (near future I'm talking around 4-6 months).

Please actually read my posts carefully before you jump to rediculous conclusions.