PDA

View Full Version : Need help importing Fist of the North Star/Hokuto No Ken for

Saner
Aug 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
hey I was wondering if its best to buy a Japan PS2, but I heard they require a different voltage.

but I don't like modding/taking my PS2 apart and inserting a chip or devices that risk damaging the system.

I have an older PS2 (the one with 8 screws), so some suggest buying a fliptop case, but I would still need some kind of boot disk for the import game.

also what's the best website to get the necessary importing stuff and ordering this fighting game?

has anyone imported this game? any advice how to get my ps2 to play it, and where to order it?

its too bad the older Japanese ps2s are no longer in print. the new jp ps2s are too expensive, like almost 200.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40-49-en-70-1s1p.html

also is play asia a good site to get the game? do they offer next day shipping? their pages seem too cluttered with info its hard to see how they operate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2007-08-05 20:11 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Aug 6, 2007, 01:42 AM
google "Swap Magic" it could help.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 6, 2007, 09:16 AM
Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken, that alone attracted me to this thread. I love that anime, and the game is pretty badass too. Well, swap magic works, but if you want a Japanese PS2, I think it'll be a good idea to get a converter. Japanese outlets are similar to American except that they don't have that 3rd hole, other than that, the voltage is the same I guess. I was able to use an American laptop in Japan, so I don't see a reason why you can't use a Japanese PS2 in America. But Swap magic seems to be cheaper than getting another PS2.

Weeaboolits
Aug 6, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm interested to know how this site is too, as I plan on importing Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary once I have the coin.

Saner
Aug 12, 2007, 02:07 AM
ya there seems to be one or two sites taht sells the swap magic fliptop cover thing but does that mean I have to remove by network adapter and harddrive to replace my PS2 cover?

DurakkenX
Aug 12, 2007, 02:29 AM
I have a friend that has it and I've been meaning to go to the game night over there but Fridays are the only days that i watch shows really and that's when he has them ^.^ though I hear that it's a great game...

There are places that can mod your PS2 for you so that there is a switcher and thus you don't have a prob with any games. I don't see any reason to buy a ps2 for 1 game though so unless your gonna use it a lot, just mod it.

I always hear good things about play-asia. I imported my JP PSU from there...came like a 2 weeks late v.v i can't tell you the best place to get that game though as one of our other friends was in Japan and bought the games and brought them back/mailed them.

If you're worried about shipping costs I would assume that you could find someone to help you and mail it to you if you sent them some money. I know one person on this site did that >.>

BTW moding systems and importing games are both illegal, just to let you know ^.^

Weeaboolits
Aug 12, 2007, 03:36 AM
Importing games isn't illegal, but I think you're right on the modding part.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 12, 2007, 10:04 AM
Well, its all Sony's fault for region-coding their systems. If they hadn't that in the first place and made Japanese games compatible with American PS2s, we wouldn't be modding games. But yeah, I still do it because I love Japanese games.

Sayara
Aug 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
Not neccessarly illegal to moderate your own box. But you void all warrenties the instant you open the ps2 apart. (Theres even a sticker that says the same!)

Swap Magic is what i use; You're using a Fat ps2; so theres an easier method then having to order a fliptop. It involves opening the CD drive when the Boot Disc "MAgic Swap" stops running and orders you to switch discs. Youtube it; Im sure you can find the video explaining the fairly simple Magic Swap modding.

Us Slim users have to get a fliptop which if put together incorrectly can make your PS2 very sensisitve to the slightest touch will stop spinning your disc. Which if you're using an import game means you cannot respin it since it shouldnt even be on there!