PDA

View Full Version : if you play the piano, read this

Derek0660
Aug 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
i've been playing the piano alot more lately and i was wondering how to play a glissando properly. i've tried turning my hand over and sliding the back of my index and middle fingers down the keys but i've cut my hand this way (yes i've actually cut it)

so just wondering. if anyone knows how to do it correctly please share :]

DurakkenX
Aug 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
if i remember right its the angle at which you are hitting the keys... so that as you are on the previous key the next key is partially down so that when you actually go to it the striking finger already has it halfway down and it prevents the same amount of damage to the fingers. It's 2 finger with index and middle fingers, with the middle finger being the striking finger >.>

Also much like anything like that it has to do with building up callouses so that it doesn't injure you any more.

though i haven't played the piano in the longest time so i may be wrong...

Derek0660
Aug 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
thanks for the help, i'll try that

Zorafim
Aug 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
Glissando, that's where you slide your fingers over the keys to produce a scale-like sound, right? Going down, I always simply use my thumb, turned so that I'm hitting the keys with either the top or top-left part of the nail (Right hand, of course). Going up, I use the third and forth fingers, turned so that I'm hitting with the top of either or both. Invert this if you're using the left hand.
If you're playing a piece with this, I suggest not to cut or bite your nails, since you'll need them strong.