PDA

View Full Version : Work....without benefits?

Qrrrbrbirbel
Aug 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
So apparently, working at Shakey's Pizza parlor prevents you from playing ANY of the video games they have to offer, including the DDR. Even if the whole store is a barren wasteland void of all living things, my manager won't let me touch the thing.

50% off food doesn't seem like such a fair trade anymore...

Dhylec
Aug 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
Looks like it's a real-life implementation of 'all work & no play' policy. Now what happens if you pay to play?

Qrrrbrbirbel
Aug 6, 2007, 08:53 PM
On 2007-08-06 18:48, Dhylec wrote:
Looks like it's a real-life implementation of 'all work & no play' policy. Now what happens if you pay to play?

Nothing. It doesn't matter if I have the day off, or if I'm on break, or even if I use my own cash to dispense into the game, he won't let me get my dance on. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
Try working at a place where half the time you're moving around incredibly large blocks of styrofoam (which are often surprisingly heavy), get no vacation time, no sick time, and only get paid for two holidays out of the year, with no insurance, on top of having to drive 60 miles just to get there.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
On 2007-08-06 19:31, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
with no insurance

Are you full time? If so, then I don't think it's legal for them to do that.

ABDUR101
Aug 7, 2007, 01:30 AM
At the funny rant on hand; if it's your day off, your manager can't say a damn thing about what you do there. Tell him to fuck off if you're there on a day off, spending your money to play DDR. Really, the nerve of some people.

Granted, don't even think of touching it if you're actually on-duty and working; thats an obviously big no-no. But on your days off, thats it, he's not your manager when you're not working. Load up the DDR, play it and ignore him, see what he does without you saying anything to him. =]

And indeed; I'm kinda surprised this is a rant. Aswell, 50% off the food, hell yeah, heh, I'd take that perk over anything else. But then you won't catch me ever working retail either. Dilemma!

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 7, 2007, 01:55 AM
On 2007-08-06 21:04, Blue-Hawk wrote:

In California, if it's Workers' Compensation, then yes, my boss must provide that, but regular medical insurance, no.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 7, 2007, 04:58 AM
On 2007-08-06 23:30, ABDUR101 wrote:
Granted, don't even think of touching it if you're actually on-duty and working; thats an obviously big no-no. But on your days off, thats it, he's not your manager when you're not working. Load up the DDR, play it and ignore him, see what he does without you saying anything to him. =]

And indeed; I'm kinda surprised this is a rant. Aswell, 50% off the food, hell yeah, heh, I'd take that perk over anything else. But then you won't catch me ever working retail either. Dilemma!

Well this isn't retail but the food service industry, points still stand and agreed on all though.

If you wanted this as an incentive or benefit to your working experience, seek employment in an arcade/golfland or something where it would be less lax on you fooling around with games during slow times. Paid by the hour = you're on the clock, hopefully working. You won't get paid to play DDR during work hours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-08-07 02:58 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 7, 2007, 07:04 AM
Retail is the worst job ever. It's a dark hole that sucks you in and is incredibly hard to get out of. I suggest you try elsewhere when in the near future.

Solstis
Aug 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
Meira, if you still have that job, I'm surprised. From I've seen, you're a tad overqualified for that.

Sayara
Aug 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
I wish i got 50% food at my grocery store ;_;

Sinue_v2
Aug 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
On 2007-08-06 21:04, Blue-Hawk wrote:

On 2007-08-06 19:31, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
with no insurance

It depends, but it's quite possibly legal. For example one of the companies I used to work for would work your ass off, including plenty of OT, for nine months out of the year - and then lay you off for three. In this way they can consider you "Seasonal" - part time, and not eligible for benefits such as insurance. Not that the insurance you got for full-time employment was much better than having no insurance.

Mind you, this company was run by a guy who said he'd never hire blacks or hispanics because they were "lazy and untrustworthy" (which is discrimination) - and his idea of a Christmas bonus was giving his employees Christmas eve off work, without pay - of course. I had heard that he used to force everyone to take a personal day to get Christmas Eve off. He quit doing that though, because not only were too many people quiting half-way through the year.. but because our shipping companies refused to pick up or deliver on Christmas Eve. So everyone just had to come in and stand around for eight hours.

AlexCraig
Aug 7, 2007, 06:45 PM
At the funny rant on hand; if it's your day off, your manager can't say a damn thing about what you do there. Tell him to fuck off if you're there on a day off, spending your money to play DDR. Really, the nerve of some people.

Surprisingly, I agree with you. If his boss is telling him to never play, that is bogus. He should have all the right to play when not on the job.

Otis_Kat
Aug 8, 2007, 07:39 PM
At the funny rant on hand; if it's your day off, your manager can't say a damn thing about what you do there. Tell him to fuck off if you're there on a day off, spending your money to play DDR. Really, the nerve of some people.Well he obviously shouldn't be doing it during his work hours and should be allowed to while off work, you make it sound like he can walk in there tell everyone to get bent and then knock things over and expect to keep his job.

Sayara
Aug 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
Read the quote again a bit Otis.

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
too man companies will treat you poorly if you let them. Answer to this is: don't. It's hard being unemployed - especially of you *need* the money, but you will feel better about yourself if you take control.

Otis_Kat
Aug 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
On 2007-08-08 19:34, Sayara wrote:
Read the quote again a bit Otis.

So, what I said was a bit exaggerated. By playing DDR or any other games even when he's off work, he's pissing his boss off. Just because you not working at the time doesn't mean you can't get canned.

Solstis
Aug 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't want to work at a place that I frequented. Awkward.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 10, 2007, 01:02 AM
On 2007-08-07 08:21, Solstis wrote:
Meira, if you still have that job, I'm surprised. From I've seen, you're a tad overqualified for that.

I am; in fact, I should have the necessary qualifications to take an Engineer-In-Training exam, though I am confident that I would fail it (consider a comprehensive, 3-section test covering applied aspects of math, physics and chemistry, covered over an 8 hour session and a second, 4 hour session the next day). I was rightfully hesitant to take the job, but at the time, I was unemployed and needed the regular income.

For what it's worth, like most jobs I've had, I've basically changed the way things are done at the business. I've streamlined a lot of things and come up with new ways to accomplish things that my boss didn't think could be done. As often occurs, this all seems to be overlooked, for the most part, and where not overlooked, then met with resistance. It's just something to get used to in the working world, I suppose.

Otis_Kat
Aug 10, 2007, 01:37 PM
On 2007-08-09 23:02, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:For what it's worth, like most jobs I've had, I've basically changed the way things are done at the business. I've streamlined a lot of things and come up with new ways to accomplish things that my boss didn't think could be done. As often occurs, this all seems to be overlooked, for the most part, and where not overlooked, then met with resistance. It's just something to get used to in the working world, I suppose.Well most business owners assume if you don't have some kind of "fancy"(lol) business degree, you don't know jack shit about how businesses work. Most commonly it's those with those degrees that are clueless.

;>_>

ABDUR101
Aug 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
On 2007-08-09 20:41, Otis_Kat wrote:
So, what I said was a bit exaggerated. By playing DDR or any other games even when he's off work, he's pissing his boss off. Just because you not working at the time doesn't mean you can't get canned.

Of course you can get canned, but it's a shitty dead-end job anyway. The point is; learn to stand-up for yourself when you have due cause. If he's off work, he just needs to stand up to the manager and say, hey, I'm off work, if I want to spend MY money and MY time here, don't worry about it. If he gets canned because of that, I doubt he'd want to work with such people anyway.

I do agree with Solstis though, I would'nt want to work anywhere that I frequent. It does rise to tensions if someone tries to monger you when you're not on the job.

And I've noticed that people who come from 'dirt' tend to work to get above the dirt, prove themselves and prove to others what they're capable of; whereas those who come from a well-off family, or have had things more or less handed to them, tend to just expect the hand-outs no matter what they do. Warranted or not.