PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3

DLShAdOw
Aug 7, 2007, 09:16 AM
Post the version you reserved and what excites you most about the game.

I reserved the Limited edition and I am really excited about the campaign for once.

amtalx
Aug 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
I got the Legendary edition (gouge!) because I'm a slut for limited stuff, and I'm totally putting the Master Chief helmet on my dog.

Honestly...I could really care less about Halo 3. Mass Effect is what I'm really excited about. I'm getting Halo because no gamer worth their salt doesn't have all three. That and my friends will want to come over an play it. I have two 360s so I'll probably throw some Halo parties or something.

Sekani
Aug 7, 2007, 09:59 AM
Halo 3 = rental

ABDUR101
Aug 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Halo 3 is only a rental if you don't have LIVE or anyone to keep playing it with.(i.e. you play it once for the singleplayer story and you're done) The co-op in Halo kept my brother, my nephews and myself all well-entertained for a long, long time.

Odds are I'll get the Limited Edition, but the standard edition is fine. Have to go check what the Limited Edition comes with, if it's just an extra DVD of "How it was Made" bullshit, thats not worth an extra $10.

It'll be nice to get to the conclusion of the Halo series, it's been a fun ride(until the driver of the warthog bails just before a cliff and you die). Though Mass Effect is the only other title I'll prolly buy this year, as I've eagerly been awaiting it aswell.

Kent
Aug 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
...Don't have it reserved yet. I should probably get on that, but reserving Rock Band is more of a priority, anyway.

Axispoint
Aug 7, 2007, 11:30 AM
On 2007-08-07 07:52, amtalx wrote:
I got the Legendary edition (gouge!) because I'm a slut for limited stuff, and I'm totally putting the Master Chief helmet on my dog.

Haha! Move over Master Chief, Master Dog the Mighty is here to kick some alien butt!

Honestly...I could really care less about Halo 3. Mass Effect is what I'm really excited about. I'm getting Halo because no gamer worth their salt doesn't have all three. That and my friends will want to come over an play it. I have two 360s so I'll probably throw some Halo parties or something.

After Halo 2, I wasn't really looking forward to another Halo game, not to mention I don't have a 360 and won't be able to get some for some time (would be nice if my work would stop laying me off every six months). I liked Halo 1, but Halo 2, after I played through the game with a friend on co-op, I never played it again. I think I had more fun in co-op then I did by myself, hence I just couldn't get into it by myself http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Hrigg
Aug 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
My brother reserved the limited edition 4 months before we were planning on getting a 360. (Dedication, huh?)

It doesn't matter to me since he's buying it, but yeah, I'll probably play some of it on XBL.

Shattered_weasel
Aug 7, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm getting Halo because no gamer worth their salt doesn't have all three.

Bullshit

Niered
Aug 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
On 2007-08-07 11:32, Shattered_weasel wrote:

Bullshit

No actually thats basic truth.

And take note of the fact that I dont even like FPS's that much, or Halo for that matter. The difference between you and I is that while you go about calling a piece of art shyt, I realize its not my thing, but I dont look like a pompous idiot while doing it. Halo is an amazing game, its just not my cup of tea. Your insignificant opinion does not make it any less amazing.

Shadowpawn
Aug 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
On 2007-08-07 12:24, Niered wrote:

On 2007-08-07 11:32, Shattered_weasel wrote:

Bullshit

And take note of the fact that I dont even like FPS's that much, or Halo for that matter. The difference between you and I is that while you go about calling a piece of art shyt, I realize its not my thing, but I dont look like a pompous idiot while doing it. Halo is an amazing game, its just not my cup of tea. Your insignificant opinion does not make it any less amazing.

That's not what he's saying. He saying the statement "If you don't have Halo then are not a gamer" (which is basically what the other was saying) is in itself bullshit, which is true. Gaming is lifestyle with my diverse choices, just because you don't own a certain high profile game that DOESN'T strip you of your gamer privileges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2007-08-07 12:45 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Aug 7, 2007, 02:44 PM

And take note of the fact that I dont even like FPS's that much, or Halo for that matter. The difference between you and I is that while you go about calling a piece of art shyt, I realize its not my thing, but I dont look like a pompous idiot while doing it. Halo is an amazing game, its just not my cup of tea.

Your insignificant opinion does not make it any less amazing.

ABDUR101
Aug 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, lets start an arguement over something that was said in passing. =D

Niered
Aug 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
On 2007-08-07 12:44, UnderscoreX wrote:

And take note of the fact that I dont even like FPS's that much, or Halo for that matter. The difference between you and I is that while you go about calling a piece of art shyt, I realize its not my thing, but I dont look like a pompous idiot while doing it. Halo is an amazing game, its just not my cup of tea.

Your insignificant opinion does not make it any less amazing.

Definitely a

"oic wut u did thar"

moment.

And its pretty much understood that if you dont own a 360 your off the hook in this case. Not everyones going to have the cash to buy all 3 systems, but I do subscribe to the ideology that if you own a system, there are just certain games you have no excuse not to own.

Shadowpawn
Aug 7, 2007, 02:57 PM
On 2007-08-07 12:48, ABDUR101 wrote:
Yeah, lets start an arguement over something that was said in passing. =D

Hush you.

Ryno
Aug 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
I got the Legendary edition (gouge!) because I'm a slut for limited stuff,

DITTO!

Legendary vesion!

I prebooked it a year and a half ago!!!!

DizzyDi
Aug 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
SHOOTAN GAEMS!
I'm getting a 360 and I couldn't care less about Halo 3.
I'll get it, but I'll be bored with it in about 2-3 months, just like Halo 2 (which I no longer own, I guess I'm an inferior gamer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif).

amtalx
Aug 7, 2007, 03:56 PM
How about I tell you what I meant since I was there when I said it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

There are many types of gamers. The type of gamer I was referring to, that is "worth their salt", is the type to own classic games that have had a significant impact on the industry regardless of how much they enjoy actually playing them. I own games that I don't particularly enjoy, but because I understand the breadth of their influence, I've added them to my collection. As a "gamer", you owe it to yourself to at least try these caliber of games. Few can argue that Halo has not had a profound effect on gaming. It built the Xbox name, and has practically created its own subculture among even mild enthusiasts. Personally, I enjoy Halo, but certainly don't think its the be all , end all of FPS. I'm getting it because I can see value in a game beyond my gameplay preferences. Owning Halo is not a requirement of being a gamer. However, the type of gamer I am talking about will.

DizzyDi
Aug 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
Halo = Classic
Halo 2 = Not so much
Halo 3 = (I'm willing to bet) Not rly.

ABDUR101
Aug 7, 2007, 05:44 PM
On 2007-08-07 13:58, DizzyDi wrote:
Halo = Classic
Halo 2 = Not so much
Halo 3 = (I'm willing to bet) Not rly.

He's referring to the series in it's entirety, not just a single game making an impact. The Halo series is a classic in the making; much as Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy etc are known as classics today. You don't have to like them, but you owe it to yourself as a gamer to experience them.

Gaming is it's own culture, but if you don't partake of the fruit, it's your loss. =]

Solstis
Aug 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
It warms the heart to see Total Annihilation listed.

Shadowpawn
Aug 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
While that may be true, I personally think it's a matter of preference. Most of our classic games are backed by already well established corporate giants that have considerable advertising muscle. That helps influence the impact the game they make will have on the market. However I do believe there is a difference between a fairly enjoyable blockbuster (such as the Halo series) and classical and highly influential games such as the Mario series (up to 64) and Grand Theft Auto (from the 3rd one.) Even with the arguable impact of these games it's not a necessity to OWN these games per say. Rather, as abdur said, that you experience BEFORE you lay judgement over these games, lest your point becomes moot.

With that said, I don't think the Halo series THAT big of an impact on console gaming. Sure it was big hit, but that's only because the original XBOX launch was a horrible one at best. Halo (and a few others) were the salvageable games from that launch. What was Halo's saving grace was the scope of it's story and it's epic musical score (some people may argue that epic may be a misnomer but it did add to the sense that something epic was taking place.) However it didn't bring anything new to the table that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark hadn't established.

I think a true classic must be evaluated by the not only the breath of it's gameplay nor the pedigree of it's creation (i.e. It's made by "X" so it must be good, right) but by the innovations it brings to it's genre in terms of game play, game mechanics. storyline and the interweaving of all three concepts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2007-08-07 18:38 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Aug 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
Halo did bring some innovations to the genre.
How many FPS now have serperate buttons dedicated to melee and grenades? Almost all of them.
How many FPSs had it BEFORE Halo came out?

Weeaboolits
Aug 7, 2007, 08:36 PM
Halo is fun, but I don' have it. :/

PJ
Aug 7, 2007, 09:46 PM
I don't see why people thought the FIRST Halo was so godly compared to number 2. 2 was actaully fun.

amtalx
Aug 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hells yea. I loved TA. I only wish my comp were good enough to play Supreme Commander. Soon though I should be upgrading.

Rubius-sama
Aug 8, 2007, 12:00 AM
The Legendary edition is $150 in Canada, even though the dollar value is almost identical to that of the US. I haven't pre-ordered, as there will be plenty of copies to go around. I'm still waiting to decide which version to get. That helmet would look mighty nice on my desk.

On 2007-08-07 18:01, DizzyDi wrote:
Halo did bring some innovations to the genre.
How many FPS now have serperate buttons dedicated to melee and grenades? Almost all of them.
How many FPSs had it BEFORE Halo came out?

That's a good point. I was surprised when I played Halo 1 for the first time and discovered a separate grenade trigger. That was because I had never seen it done in any game before. Now, there are countless games with separate grenade buttons.

On 2007-08-07 19:46, PJ wrote:
I don't see why people thought the FIRST Halo was so godly compared to number 2. 2 was actaully fun.

There are two kinds of people who say Halo 1 is better than Halo 2.

The first type is people who were absolutely blown away by the first game, and expected a similar "blow-away" experience from the second one, due to their weak sense of judgement. But alas, it's a sequel and will not be as innovative as it seemed to be during its initial debut, so to these people it seemed to be lacking. Just like if you were to play the same game for a second time, expecting it to be a completely new game. You will be disappointed.

The second group of people like Halo 1 better because they got raped in Halo 2 online matchmaking, just like they will again when Halo 3 comes out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubius-sama on 2007-08-07 22:09 ]</font>