PDA

View Full Version : So...how's PSU been doin' since I left?

-Kenji-
Aug 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
PSO Veteran, and the self proclaimed first CAST in PSU (back when everyone was small, dark skinned humans...or was it just me?) When PSU first came out I got the six month plan. Had fun, but got a little pissed at the restrictions and lack of items. THAT...and I was irritated that they had their first actual event after the 6 month period. Oh...and there's a ton more reasons. But that's not the point of the post :3

Anyhoo, curious, how is PSU doin'? Any improvements? Gettin' worse? Or pretty much exactly the same?

Dhylec
Aug 8, 2007, 09:52 AM
PSU is having a good time if you want to know. Regular biweekly updates. New & more content; check the news (archive) for the updates.

Now, with the expansion coming, it's a sin not to play. ;3

Fox_Makenshi
Aug 8, 2007, 09:57 AM
lol I know how you feel. I did the same thing with my subscription. PSU is getting better IMO. They changed the death penalty so that it only hurts your rank if you 1.are dead at the end of the mission or 2.return to the lobby. Tons of new missions (up to S2) and weapons (S-ranks now). From what I've heard there isn't any (or much) haxeta entering the system anymore, but what is still there hasn't depleted yet. The lvl cap is now 90 I believe.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

Niloklives
Aug 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
actually you can be dead at the end and it still doesn't mark you down. I've had team mates dead when the mission eneded and still gotten an S

Golto
Aug 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
Lvl 90 cap, as of friday only the two Hive missions will need S2 rank, over a dozen more srank weapons/armors to hunt.

I think I remember you from pc/ps2 so you'll notice even more decline in population, 3 stars max now.

Mystil
Aug 8, 2007, 01:45 PM
On 2007-08-08 08:06, NIloklives wrote:
actually you can be dead at the end and it still doesn't mark you down. I've had team mates dead when the mission eneded and still gotten an S

It'll only get marked down IF they return to the lobby.

Phetty
Aug 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
Dont know what system you played on, but the Death count is only on PC/PS2...

Gryffin
Aug 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
New room decor? XD

Fox_Makenshi
Aug 8, 2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah the death penalty change is only on PS2/PC. Sorry about the error, I remember hearing that somewhere and it was never cleared up.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

MrNomad
Aug 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
On 2007-08-08 08:31, Golto wrote:
Lvl 90 cap, as of friday only the two Hive missions will need S2 rank, over a dozen more srank weapons/armors to hunt.

I think I remember you from pc/ps2 so you'll notice even more decline in population, 3 stars max now.

The population hasnt declined > > It's always been 3 stars on uni2

MrNomad
Aug 8, 2007, 03:21 PM

MrNomad
Aug 8, 2007, 03:22 PM

Cz
Aug 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
you can say that the populations are wide spread. We have 3 stars because everyone is on a different universe doing their things. If everyone go to universe 2, we might get up 5 stars!!! maybe....http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Parn
Aug 8, 2007, 04:36 PM
You all are down to 3 stars on your primary server? Ouch.

AC9breaker
Aug 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
Every time i log on the server instantly fulls up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Mystil
Aug 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
On 2007-08-08 14:36, Parn wrote:
You all are down to 3 stars on your primary server? Ouch.

That's not bad considering it's been at 3 stars since Feb. Don't worry, when AoI comes out all the crybabies who quit can come back and bitch somemore and quit again after they nitpick the game to death. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jet1337
Aug 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
They say it's getting better, but in reality it's not. Oh wow, new S2 missions of the same mission we've been playing for months. Ooh, a new lobby every now and then with items that look crappy (parum unity medal). They STILL have not been able to find out the drop rates for rares (guesses are incorrect answers). If the expansion can't provide the much needed boost of variety to this game, then there's not much hope.

The biggest server this game has is the Xbox 360 server, and there's some strong competition coming in the following months and days like Two Worlds and Huxley. If the 360 players go (like I've seen in the past few days) then I can't really see a future for this game after the expansion.

Mystil
Aug 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
--In America and Europe.

Parn
Aug 8, 2007, 07:04 PM
In all honesty though, Phantasy Star Universe really is smalltime, even in Japan. Capcom's Monster Hunter series pretty much accumulated the grand majority of the playerbase that Phantasy Star Online lost as people moved on to new things. With Halo 3 incoming next month, I really do expect the 360 version to lose a fair bit of its playerbase to the point that we might be on par with PC/PS2. We'll find out next month!

Jet1337
Aug 8, 2007, 07:07 PM
It's a fact that a lot of 360 players will quit by the end of the year. Back when I used to play, I heard from A LOT of people that the only reason they're playing this game is the waste time until something good comes out. I don't blame them. And I would love to see how many players will be quitting on the 14th.

Kylie
Aug 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
More content, less bugs and glitches, but also less people. I'm happy with it. =P

Mystil
Aug 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
Some of you who are anti-PSU really need to sit back and read what you're saying...

RedX
Aug 8, 2007, 07:12 PM
On 2007-08-08 16:02, Jet1337 wrote:
They say it's getting better, but in reality it's not. Oh wow, new S2 missions of the same mission

This is a joke right?

Let's see their is Her secret mission, Price of Research, Stolen Weapon, etc.

Jet1337
Aug 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
Price of Research isn't out yet, and besides, those missions don't offer replayability. Only money-grubbing whores are the ones that do those missions. That's the only reason they do those missions.

MushiKuro
Aug 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
PSU looks great, regular Updates/Content and events.

See ya!

X.X

Kairi_Li
Aug 8, 2007, 07:22 PM
On 2007-08-08 17:04, Parn wrote:
In all honesty though, Phantasy Star Universe really is smalltime, even in Japan. Capcom's Monster Hunter series pretty much accumulated the grand majority of the playerbase that Phantasy Star Online lost as people moved on to new things. With Halo 3 incoming next month, I really do expect the 360 version to lose a fair bit of its playerbase to the point that we might be on par with PC/PS2. We'll find out next month!

So are you saying that the Monster Hunter took away alot of PSU JP players, or you're referring to people who were PSO fans that didn't like PSU?

By the way on a side note, how IS the Monster Hunter MMO?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kairi_Li on 2007-08-08 17:23 ]</font>

RedX
Aug 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
On 2007-08-08 17:14, Jet1337 wrote:
oh noes i was proven wrong. i better make up some bullshit so i look like i know what I'm talking about

k

Kylie
Aug 8, 2007, 07:35 PM

It's a bit outdated to me (now, of course), but it's still good for some fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You got to use strategy to fight the dragons, and there's a good deal of variety.

radical_ryan
Aug 8, 2007, 07:40 PM
a misson that gives u 10k

is way 2 get money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jet1337
Aug 8, 2007, 07:42 PM
"Oh noes. My name is RedX and I can't confront someone, so I'll modify a quote to look like I'm making a point..."

Why don't you try being more direct?
--
Mod edit: no need for flamebaits

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-08-08 18:34 ]</font>

Mayu
Aug 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
Lets stay on topic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- -

The game is fine imo -.-

- Population PS2-PC - 3-4 Stars at most
- Economy - Retarded (a large % of people are stuck in February mode or so should I say The hacker era)
- Big game?: Yes a lot of missions
- Can you find a party? Just find the hot spot or ask -.- and you will be fine

Jet1337
Aug 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-08-08 17:40, radical_ryan wrote:
a misson that gives u 10k

is way 2 get money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Don't know what rank you're playing on, but last I heard getting an S on HSM gives you over 30k.

Parn
Aug 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
On 2007-08-08 17:22, Kairi_Li wrote:
So are you saying that the Monster Hunter took away alot of PSU JP players, or you're referring to people who were PSO fans that didn't like PSU?
Neither. After more than three years of Phantasy Star Online, Japanese players wanted something new. Most went to Final Fantasy XI while others went to Monster Hunter. After the first Monster Hunter game, the playerbase grew exponentially from there. Just to give you an idea on how much of a following the series has, the most recent release Monster Hunter Freedom 2 on PSP has sold over 2.4 million copies. Phantasy Star Universe doesn't even have a tenth of that.

It's in beta testing, and that's all I know. Heh.

DreamLocke
Aug 8, 2007, 07:52 PM
Halo 3, since it is a different kind of game entirely, will not hurt PSU that much in the long run IMO. I plan on getting it, but it's a game best played in short bursts. I also have Gears of War, but online RPG's are my things right now. I like FPS/shooters every once in a while.

Two Worlds, I'm not sure about just yet. There's not much info right now about how the multiplayer will work so we'll have to see if it's going to threaten PSU in the future. I have it reserved, but I'm definitely wait for some player feedback before I pick it up. I think the big draw right now is that it's free to play.

As far as PSU, I quit a while back when it felt like an incomplete game, then recently came back just before Firebreak started. There really is a lot more to PSU now, and I am enjoying it enough that I can't really complain. Then again, I was a PSO freak on Dreamcast so it's a bit of nostalgia there.

RedX
Aug 8, 2007, 08:06 PM
On 2007-08-08 17:42, Jet1337 wrote:
"Oh noes. My name is RedX and I can't confront someone, so I'll modify a quote to look like I'm making a point..."

Why don't you try being more direct, fucktard?

Ok then if you want.

Price of Research isn't out yet

Wow, your right, good job for figuring that out. Oh but wait it's coming out on fiday, oh well to bad for you.

those missions don't offer replayability.

So something that different isn't good enough? why are you here again?

Oh and that is highly personal opinion, i personally think they offer something different, and fun.

Only money-grubbing whores are the ones that do those missions.

Whoa, wait what? Labs S2 makes 10x the profit, everyone knows that. I think your talking about MP whores, but wait you need MP too, hmmmmm.

And FYI, some people have fun playing this game, maybe they like to play these missions to.

That's the only reason they do those missions.

MP, something different, challenge (in the case of HSM and Bruce). Not everyone thinks like you, you know.

Kairi_Li
Aug 9, 2007, 04:39 AM
On 2007-08-08 17:35, Kylie wrote:

It's a bit outdated to me (now, of course), but it's still good for some fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You got to use strategy to fight the dragons, and there's a good deal of variety.

I was referring to Monster Hunter Frontier, the new PC MMO that's just finished the beta and was officially released.

Reason I mentioned this is cause from the looks of it, it has PSU's hack and slash style gameplay, but with dodging involved, bigger content, world and guilds. While I still enjoy playing PSU, I feel that the way Monster Hunter waas designed is what I always wanted PSU to be. Aside from PSU, MHF is probably the only other MMO I will ever consider.

What's stopping me? Unlike PSU JP, its JAPANESE only, where they actually block out any IP addresses that don't come from Japan, essentially killing the Asian market (who also LOVE the MH series, I knew this from living in Hong Kong.) and the import market.

I'm still playing PSU, and will get the expansion. I've lvled my chars so much that I have grown too attached to just quit and let them go. Yet at the same time, I crave for something bigger and fresh. If the expansion can't quench that desire in the end, well, I gonna have to pray that MHF comes out internationally. But so far, I think the expansion can make me wanna play longer.

Its just this dream of mine to finally see a hack and slash style MMORPG with content as big as WOW or FF11...Maybe one day...

Mystil
Aug 9, 2007, 07:19 AM
^Dammit Liz I sure wish your timezone was a bit closer to mine >:OOO

-Kenji-
Aug 12, 2007, 07:40 PM

Ayep,I was a PC user. I was around a few player hosted events and often joked about cast superiority (even more so once the game went public and I seemingly was the only cast).

3 stars, eh? Sounds like the population hasn't changed much since I retired (I'm -slightly- debating on coming back before my characters are reset, I think I have 3 months and my account expired mid may). And from the sound of it everyone's still on Uni 2. I find that a little surprising since last I heard Broomie and the rest of his crew left...so there's no reason not to go to Uni 1.

VanHalen
Aug 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah but Uni 1 is scary! There are big smoking hole in the floor of the colony there, and if you fall in it says

Error No.057

Disconnected due to request from server.

I probably should have that error memorized since I see it so many times http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BigBadWolf
Aug 14, 2007, 11:25 PM
Okay to put this thread back on topic, I'm gonna give my own personal review of PSU after coming back two weeks ago.

Before I begin, I'd like to give some personal info. I started playing PSU on PC/PS2 at launch, and left the game during the time all the crazy hackers starting ruining the economy. I came back briefly at the time they announced AoI expansion, and got bored because there was nobody to play with, and left again. I reactivated my level 56 Newman Fortecher once more because I enjoyed finally beating the offline story mode enough to give online one last shot + I knew a few friends that came back to the game recently.

After getting my Foretecher from level 56 to 67 I can say that I'm very satisfied with the game right now. Gamewise PSU has never been better, anything that you wanted to do in PSU before but couldn't (like fighting the last boss), it's now very possible. I'm finally able to play the game for the reasons I brought it for almost a year ago.

No death penalty is great because you can go anywhere in the game you want if you have two other players (and maybe an NPC or two) and have fun. Leveling is a blast because the new S2 missions pretty much overflow with exp, meseta, and Mission Points, so you can get what you need fast. If you liked the offline mode, then you'll love the many online story missions available now, the online story is imo more interesting then it's offline counterpart because of how Illuminous messes around with all of the characters.
The party only missions add a nice layer of challenge, but everyone here just spams Her Secret Mission C X_X. There's a lot more I can mention like character customization, but basically anything that you wanted to do in PSU you can finally do it.

Community wise unfortunately is where PSU fails miserably. With the level cap at 90, and the community pretty small, exp parties are spread out pretty thin. If you're below level 50 you're gonna have a lot more problems finding a decent party than before. The economy has actually improved a bit, but player shops seem to be a lost cause until AoI comes out. I've noticed that the casual aspects we used to enjoy in the old PSU are pretty much gone, but it's too much to explain why right now though. Your gonna have to trust me on this.

Overall I definitely say the game is worth coming back to right now. Also I wouldn't worry about PSU community "dying" due to the release of some other game. In the eyes of the general gaming community, PSU has been dead for some time, and it's silly to think that the players that stuck with PSU through thick and thin for this long are suddenly gonna give up playing it now for whatever reason. Finally with the release of AoI expansion, online content will no longer be an issue.

If anybody really wants to come back to PSU, now's the best time to do it. But for those ppl that brought PSU expecting it to play to play like some other online game instead of PSU, they'll still be soarly disappointed.

Edit: grammar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBadWolf on 2007-08-15 06:26 ]</font>