PDA

View Full Version : PSO for PS2?

Sapphire87
Dec 24, 2002, 05:31 PM
While reading the latest issue of PSM, there's an article in which the editor admits there haven't been any "must have" online games for the PS2 yet. With the network adapter already out and selling quite well, and with the huge user base of the PS2, it makes one wonder why Sonic Team doesn't port a version of PSO to PS2. I read a long time ago that Yuji Naka admitted that the PS2's lack of video RAM made it unsuitable for a game as heavily textured graphically as PSO. But cosidering the money that Sega could potentially make from sales of PSO on Sony's huge selling system, it makes you wonder if there is something else going on behind closed doors. I can't believe that the PS2 is that technically inadequate.

Tavia
Dec 24, 2002, 05:37 PM
Three words as to why PS2 doesn't need PSO:

"Final Fantasy XI".

(And for a few more words, although the PS2 is a capable system in its own right, it is a pain in the ass to program for. Additionally, it does have little video RAM -- less than the Dreamcast did. Oh, and I doubt SonicTeam wants to compete with what's essentially a hybrid of their own game and "Everquest". After all, it has a pretty name.)

eRUPT
Dec 24, 2002, 05:39 PM
EQ would be the only word that would do the PS2 for online rpg right now. FF11 failed horribly in the japanese market so its not gonna be making its way to the US from what I see.

TeamPhalanx
Dec 24, 2002, 06:31 PM
SONIC TEAM just doesn't like the PS2 - Note that none of the SEGA games for the system are by SONIC TEAM.

If it somehow finds its way to the PS2, I wouldn't get it; seeing as how gameshark outsells a lot of games on the system...

Lord_Data
Dec 24, 2002, 08:11 PM
ff11 didn't necessarily fail...the problem is sony...they are not releasing the hdd states side...so without the hdd there is no ff11 for ps2...ff11 is coming on pc though...oh and that was sony's excuse for not releasing the hdd so it might have failed...the problems i heard about were like 100000 people bought the game and only 10000 were able to get online within the first week...so that is probably why it "failed"...but since my ps2 broke(after 8 months of me taking care of it) i have had it out for sony...so that is why i speak ill of them:)

Rich_T
Dec 25, 2002, 04:56 AM
Your PS2 broke after 8 months???
you should be legaly entitled to a refund, despite what the retailer may say. have a look at your local consumer law.
Yhe law in the UK ( Sale of goods act) says that goods should last an aceptable amount of time ( you get a 1 year manufacturers gaurentee, but some people have got full cash refunds on stuff over 2 years old over this law)
You should have something simalar, where you live, look through your local government (State/County/Distric/Province etc )web site for more details, just look for, consumer rights, trade descriptions, consumer protection etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2002-12-25 01:59 ]</font>

TheWiLL
Dec 25, 2002, 06:52 AM
I heard that Sega's classics like Phantasy Star and Streets of Rage are coming to the PS2.

TeamPhalanx
Dec 25, 2002, 07:53 AM
Okay... so, where's this "FFXI is a failure" thing coming from?

SQUARE did not take a loss on the game...

BigDaddy
Dec 25, 2002, 10:17 AM
Squaresoft broke even with FFXI about 3 weeks ago. They reached their goal of getting 200,000 subscribers. If that's failure, then how would you definie success? Because from what I know, EverQuest (probably the biggest P2P MMORPG out there) only has a little over 400,000 users and that thing has been out since forever. Final Fantasy XI only released in May 2002 and its userbase is already nearly half of that and it still has yet to release in North America, Australia, Europe, or mainland Asia!

The difficulty in porting PSO to the PS2 is not the only problem for Sonic Team. The other bigger problem is called the GameShark and Code Breaker. Sonic Team fearing PSO being outsold by FFXI has absolutely nothing to do with it. That would be like saying Sega shouldn't release Sports games anymore because EA will just whop them every time. The point is, it's a win win situation as long as there is money to be made. Then why aren't they porting it? Like I said earlier, most likely difficulty in programming. Let's not forget that Sonic Team's "favorite" system isn't exactly the PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigDaddy on 2002-12-25 07:21 ]</font>

Sedyne
Dec 25, 2002, 10:37 AM
1) PS2 is a piece of crap structure. I'm an avid PS2 fan, but it is by far the worst constructed next gen system. I play Socom a bit, and god damned USB reciever sometimes doesn't even recognize the god damned voice input device that came with the game. It sometimes randomly stops working during the game too, and i ensure its tightly secured. Another flaw is that the god damned video/audio wire that connect to the back of the ps2 to the tv (AV wires) they are loose an all of my friends ps2's and mine. we all never move our ps2 so how could that be? but sometimes it slips a bit and the sound stops working. it's a pain in the ass.

2) I would LOVE sonic team to bring PSO to PS2...but I honeslty I think it should stay with Cube and Xbox. I don't feel it'd do well on the PS2 because some would think it's a more childish RPG. That's just my thought, but i love my ps2 and can't wait for DMC2/Xenosaga, and many other titles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SedyneX930 on 2002-12-25 07:43 ]</font>

BigDaddy
Dec 25, 2002, 11:37 AM
1. I agree completely.

2. Although PSO is a niche title, it has cemented its place in the minds of many videogame players from all platforms. Why would gamers think of it as a childish RPG at this point?

I disagree, I think this game would be perfect for the PS2. Yes, the graphics will be downgraded heavily, but the sales will be ridiculously higher than the XBox or GC versions simply because of that 40 million and counting PS2 userbase.

However, the only way PSO can have a succesful launch on the PS2 would be if Sonic Team blocked GameShark and Code Breaker (blocking the Code Breaker will be difficult) or created a server-side save only PSO community (or at least separate offline and online play).

rena-ko
Dec 25, 2002, 11:50 AM
whats the use of offlinemode when you have to use separate charas?

i too think pso for ps2 would find lots of fans/buyers, but then again i still hope, all servers get connected somehow, someday...

Lord_Data
Dec 25, 2002, 01:00 PM
i am afraid that we have no such law in america...instead like my dirty american self(which i realized is incredibly true after travling to new zealand)i didn't say a word and traded my ps2 in for a brand new shiny xbox...and as for the warentee in the states we get a worthless 90 days from sony...and then if you buy from certain stores there is an extra waranty that you can buy but since it was a gift i had no control over it...basically sh*t happens...i just try and stay away from sony...oh and as for the ffxi is a failure thing...that was what sony pulled as to not release the hdd state-side...which was smart cause it was a 200 dollar hdd and when i can get a new 120gig for my computer for less than that...well i think that i could wait for ffxi to be out on pc for that incentive;)