PDA

View Full Version : Are Violinist great for rock bands?

Ryno
Aug 9, 2007, 02:36 PM
Are Violinist great for rock bands?

Because I see popular bands like "Yellowcard" and "Dashboard Confessional" playing with a Violinist.

but on some songs they dont play their violinist.

So is a Violinist great for a rock band?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-08-09 15:08 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
Depends on the band. . . If they want a violin in every song, good for them.

In most cases, I'd say know because you don't need one. It's an extra.

Ryno
Aug 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-08-09 13:13, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
Depends on the band. . . If they want a violin in every song, good for them.

In most cases, I'd say know because you don't need one. It's an extra.

not screamo.. like regular alt. rock bands, classical, emo, slow rock...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-08-09 13:29 ]</font>

EphekZ
Aug 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
They're good in acid jazz I know that. as for yellowcard...the violinist is just there to run around on stage.

Sord
Aug 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
for the most part, it varies from song to song and band to band. Heck, Flogging Molly is considered Folk Punk or something, and it has acordians and fiddles. I personally like it when classical instruments are added into various forms of rock. It adds a nice layer of complexity.

Ryno
Aug 9, 2007, 07:37 PM
On 2007-08-09 15:46, Sord wrote:
for the most part, it varies from song to song and band to band. Heck, Flogging Molly is considered Folk Punk or something, and it has acordians and fiddles. I personally like it when classical instruments are added into various forms of rock. It adds a nice layer of complexity.

yes! it gives like a twist..
and a feeling to the song as well..

when there is a band with 2 gutarist , a bass, drummer, and a violinist. the violinist gives a little twist to the song.. but might have a feeling to the song to give the person listening to it..
(do you know what i mean?)
even tho it's extra..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-08-09 17:40 ]</font>

FOAtHeart
Aug 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
It can be interesting sometimes.

It should be noted that you can play a violin and make it sound like a lot of things (whistle/flute noise by playing artificial harmonics etc.), especially those crazy electric violins, which is really heavily distorted so I kind of think: "Why didn't you just use a guitar?"

Also, it is pretty hard to "shred" and look awesome holding a violin. I have tried.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2007-08-10 13:58 ]</font>

Solstis
Aug 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
Maybe you weren't wearing sunglasses FO. Apply and try again.

Er, Violins can add a nice element, or seem really out of place. It depends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Hrigg
Aug 10, 2007, 12:28 AM
It's great in post-rock.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 10, 2007, 12:33 AM
I don't think the instruments involved are important, as long as they are played well. Generally, so long as you have percussion to define the rhythm, treble to convey the primary tune and bass to fill in the spectrum. Usually, you'll want to have a vocalist in there, as well, but this may not be necessary, depending on the song. Traditionally, that range is filled with a full drum kit, electric guitar and bass guitar, but it could just as easily be filled with a washboard, flute and cello, if the performers are sufficiently talented.

Sord
Aug 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
On 2007-08-09 23:56, AC9breaker wrote:
you tube vid

as much as I liked the song, you might want to give a diffrent vid, due to the guy dancing around in the, eh, phallic costume.

amtalx
Aug 10, 2007, 06:59 AM
Neither of those bands are great so I would have to say no.

AlexCraig
Aug 10, 2007, 01:49 PM
The japanese band COOLON has an awesome song, Canvas, that makes great use of the Violin.

Morpheo
Aug 10, 2007, 08:16 PM
violins shall be reserved for symphony orchestral enjoyment, we'll leave it at that

kurisu1974
Aug 14, 2007, 08:39 AM
Violins are great in the first 3 or 4 albums of My Dying Bride. But it's not rock, more metal.

Ryno
Aug 14, 2007, 03:28 PM
Ok i was just watching MTV and there was a show called "Wanna be made"

and the one training the person was yellowcard!! omg!

and at the end.. they had a violinist in their band!!!!

and they did great!

Hrigg
Aug 15, 2007, 02:15 AM
On 2007-08-09 22:28, Hrigg wrote:
It's great in post-rock.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I felt that I should state my own opinion again.

Also great in some indie rock bands like The National when they play live.

Dangerous55
Aug 15, 2007, 12:25 PM
Those bands suck. Watch these sweet vids. Sure the violin is great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZWz-9x68uM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EotM7FH8uQg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ij4w6_S_3Ls

Solstis
Aug 15, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hah! I knew it was Bob Dylan before I clicked on it. No one has really done the violin well recently. Seen the cello around a lot, though.

Eligaz
Aug 15, 2007, 12:58 PM
Violins in rock/metal music can add a nice touch. Depends on the music/setting and all that though. Works well in folk metal. :3

Split
Aug 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
yeah yellow card and dashboard confessional kinda do suck

And I don't like violin that much, except in bands like blind guardian. Cello is the way to go, like in the only relatively popular band I like, fort minor