PDA

View Full Version : Encino Man fixes 360 Red Ring of Death with nothing but a to

Sinue_v2
Aug 10, 2007, 06:35 AM
Fight fire with fire eh? The 360 has a problem with overheating which causes the Red Ring of Death, and the solution... super heat the son of a bitch. I don't know how the process works, but apparently it does. You basically unplug everything from the console except for the power, and then wrap it tightly in a blanket or a towel and leave it running for about a half hour. Afterwards, unwrap the console, shut it down , and let it cool. Reattach everything and then give it a go... this gives your 360 about 3-5 extra days of life. Perfect for those PSU Demo Weekends you just can't afford to have your 360 in the shop over.

There's also something about breaking Robocops gun and keeping a fire extinguisher hand... I didn't quite catch that part.

Also, maybe it's just me... but the dude kinda looks and sounds like the guy who played Encino Man. Minus hair.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/09/cheapy-d-fixes-red-ring-with-towel-in-video/

amtalx
Aug 10, 2007, 06:57 AM
That looks like...pure science?

DLShAdOw
Aug 10, 2007, 08:48 AM
OLD OLD OLD. Apparently it works because some parts come loose in the 360 and this process forces those loose connections to melt back together, overall not a good plan.

Sekani
Aug 10, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well, since your box is hosed anyway and this doesn't void the warranty... might as well run with it.

ABDUR101
Aug 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
The bits that hold the chipset in place come loose over extended play, so they eventually just 'peel off' and are out of contact. This method does basically overheat the system and causes them to, hopefully, melt to the point of making contact again. I know one person who had this work; but he only did it because his 360 was modded and he did'nt want to send it back.(Not that he could anyway)

Overall, not the best idea, but again; if your system is hosed, you don't have anything to lose...other than a possible fire if you forget about the damn thing.

UnderscoreX
Aug 10, 2007, 03:44 PM
What if you wrap it in a towel put it ON TOP of your microwave, set it to 15 mins and play Johnny Cash - Ring of fire on repeat until the timer stops ?