PDA

View Full Version : This is just wishful thinking...

AlexCraig
Aug 10, 2007, 10:28 PM
But is there any way you guys can make it so that newcomers have to go through the rules before they join? That way we know, at least, that they have agreed to the rules before they join. Just a thought. I know you have a lot on your plate as it is.

Ryna
Aug 11, 2007, 06:26 AM
If I remember correctly, you have to scroll through the forum rules before you finish registering.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 11, 2007, 06:41 AM
But people just skim right down. . . *Nervous look*

Nothing that can be done that won't scare away potential PSYOU General kids.

Ryna
Aug 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
We could always do something like make people retype random portions of the forum rules to make sure they read it. However, that would be extremely annoying for new users.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well you could just make them take a quiz...

ABDUR101
Aug 11, 2007, 11:18 AM
A simple 3-5 question quiz, but make the quiz give random questions from a list of maybe 20 questions, that way it's not a simple "Fill in A, D, A, B, C" type thing; that way it will be random for everyone who joins.

If someone can't sit and read the rules like they're supposed to, odds are they're someone who later on won't care to follow them, or will think they're just a formality. Making them read through them with atleast cement the idea that these are the rules, we expect you to know them.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, even if they only skim, beats people not reading them at all >>

AlexCraig
Aug 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
Exactly. I like the idea of a quiz too. Shows people actually paid SOME attention to the rules.

zentetsua
Aug 11, 2007, 07:10 PM
quizing them, an excellent idea!

Blue-Hawk
Aug 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Make it an IQ test and we have a winner. A lot of the newer users here seem to have an IQ that's exactly the same as their shoe size.

Almighty_Envy
Aug 12, 2007, 02:16 AM
Making a quiz might discourage new people from joining http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I personally read the rules when i joined because i always read the forum rules, some people might not want to join if they have to take a quiz.

As much as i think this is a good idea, as it already has been stated, it would frustrate new users.

Most people usually know some of the basic rules before joining PSOW ( No flaming, No attacking staff ) because they are obvious.

If a quiz-like thing is made i would suggest that it would foccus on the top priority sections or sections that users would not already have some idea about.

Just putting my two cents in...

Sord
Aug 12, 2007, 05:49 AM
as per the quiz idea, if there isn't already some form of bot protection, a randomized answer quiz would do the trick. I don't really know if any bot protection is already on here, considering I joined way back in late 03. I've never seen bot spawned acounts though, so it's probably not an issue. Also, even if it does scare away new users... who cares? The forum has plenty of members as is. Some even use the guides or even read in the forums before hand. Those who read and the nwant to join for that, seem like the people you'd wan to have, and are more likely to go through the process.

granted, the all mighty "Edit > find" could always locate rules fairly quickly. Also, if, for wahtever reason, a quiz is done it would be better to do rules not normally known, since the purpose of making them read the rules is to know the rules in the first place. Giving them easy answers would defeat the prupose.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 12, 2007, 07:17 PM
Well, Envy, if we scare users away with a quiz, do we WANT those users here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AlexCraig
Aug 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
Exactly. A person sees the quiz and takes it might think that it is to better solidify the rules in his mind, impressing the matter that we do not want the rules broken.

A person who sees the quiz and does not take it might think that it is annoying and that later he might not get away with much of what he does.

Tomeeboy
Aug 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
I guess we should retroactively quiz everyone else then too eh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The real question is, would current users know the answers only because they've been registered for a while, or because they read and learned the rules when registering? I think we know the answer to that one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AlexCraig
Aug 14, 2007, 07:53 PM
I, personally, have read the rules twice or thrice since joining. I am a tad fuzzy, but I make sure that what I post is within the rules. I would hate to get a warning or bannage.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
You'd need some sort of punishment for not knowing the rules ;o

I read the rules once, start to finish and have visited them on a few occasions. Not recently though.

Weeaboolits
Aug 17, 2007, 12:00 AM
I actually didn't read them until after I joined. >_>;

Sayara
Aug 17, 2007, 12:16 AM
I sure as hell dont know many of the rules.

I just use my common sense to what to do and not do. Personally.