PDA

View Full Version : CONECTION?

StJoshIsAHero
Aug 12, 2007, 10:49 AM
i was just wondering. is there any conection between the orginal phantasy star games. and pso . alson where does psu cone it to play?

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
As far as we can tell, they're all separate. There's nothing that definitively separates them, so it's possible that they might still be connected by a later storyline. At this time though, there's no apparent connection. It's been speculated that they all exist in the same universe, each detailing a different culture, though.

Sinue_v2
Aug 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
PSO has enough evidence of a connection, mostly in Ep1, but no confirmation. PSU as of now really has no connections, just references.

PSU might end up tying everything together - or it might set-up the scenario for a later series in PS franchise to act as the masterpiece to tie all four franchise series together into a singular connecting storyline. Though, I only say that because it follows a basic pattern. PS had four games, and the final game tied them all together. PSO had four Episodes. PSU is looking to have four episodes as well, and since the storyline is more structured - it will be the fourth game that ties it all together. A fourth series with four installments that brings the entire series together seems like at least a plausable idea.

Saigan
Aug 16, 2007, 07:59 AM
Wasn't there a super-massive thread with all the possible links at one time or another?

Sinue_v2
Aug 19, 2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, it's around here somewhere. I think Durakken started it. There's also a thread over at GameFaqs that Thrash777, I, and a few others worked on which set up some links between PS and PSO. I'll post it when I find it...

Also, a curiosity. In the Phantasy Star Compendium, it lists that "Techniques" were developed after Lutz returned from a distant planet. Apperantly loyalists to Lasheic sabotaged Alisa's spaceship engine and they ended up teleporting to a new world. Lutz eventually returned, but Alisa did not. It would be interesting if this somehow tied into PSU... in that Gurhalian humans were the first to develop techniques, which Lutz picked up on while he was there and brought them back to Algol. Alisa never returned, perhaps opting to stay in Gurhal. The only supporting evidence of this being Tylor's ship - the Landeel, and the relief sculptures of a mysterious angelic woman found throughout the Guardian Colony. Perhaps Alis was a legendary figure in Gurhalian history? Might she make a return?

Contradicting this, however, is Phantasy Star Gaiden - which takes place on Copto and stars Alis Landale as Mina's mother (of sorts). Neither Phantasy Star Gaiden or Rieko Kodoma's short comic "Out Side Saga" hold much canonitical weight, but it's an interesting possiblity.

Also... I get a gut feeling that the red traveling CAST is somehow intregally linked to any connection PSU might have with the other series. He seems very guarded about his motivations - but friendly. He's always there in the background, watching and observing events... always knowing exactly where to be to witness these "historical" moments, such as the Unification Point. I'll have to keep an eye on him as I work my way further into the script - but for right now he's very suspicious, and it seems there's more to him than first appears.

DezoPenguin
Aug 21, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm going to go on record here as saying that if Sega tries to officially work something which ties PSU, PSO, and PSI-IV into a single, unified, universal timeline, I am never buying another product with the Phantasy Star label on it again. There's simply no way that can be anything but a hack job full of broken continuity and hastily patched-over differences in technology, theology, technology, and storyline.

This is the kind of thing that happens, though, when a game company takes a series that always had narrative continuity going for it and decided to turn that narrative continuity into a set of series tags and wink-wink, nudge-nudge homages to the fans. I admit that I, too, as a PSI-IV Phan playing PSO Ep. I for the first time, was looking high and low for possible links between the original games and the new entry (A crashed spaceship containing Dark Falz? And are those...domed structures we see through the window? And that "seal"...aren't those three words kind of like the name of the three Algolian planets that actually are the Profound Darkness's seal? And isn't...). But it rapidly became obvious through four separate episodes of Ragol's story, that there wasn't going to be any kind of tie-in. And then the Pioneers came from Coral, not Earth or from one of the Algolian worlds, and it rapidly went downhill from there.

PSU raises all kinds of interesting questions, too, but when I see rampant parallelism such as a guy named Tylor flying a spaceship called Landeel, that doesn't look like a "link," but rather more like a "we have Phantasy Star in the title so people will actually buy it, so we've gotta put in some names that are recognizable as Phantasy Star" situation. From the (admittedly brief) gloss I got of AoI when skimming past, it looks as if the new upgrade for PSU is adding more of the same, only being PSO-referential.

What's worse is that every time I say to myself, "Wouldn't it be better if Sega had just given PSO a name of its own and dropped the meseta and the Rappies and all that?" I have to counter my own argument by admitting that the strategy worked--I'm quite certain that I never would have purchased Phantasy Star Online...and indeed would never have purchased my Dreamcast...were it not for PSO having the "Phantasy Star" in the title. Marketing people, after all, do know what brand loyalty is all about, and Sega does have a marketing department.

Nai_Calus
Aug 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
Indeed, if Phantasy Star Universe weren't, well, Phantasy Star Universe, chances are really good I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Then again, by the same token, if PSU weren't PSU, I might enjoy it more instead of constantly being reminded of what it lacks compared to both PS and PSO. The cutesy 'we still remember you' PS references are largely a slap in the face and have no substance or meaning. The PSO stuff is even more heavy-handed.

(I dunno, Coral could have been colonized by a worldship. I've never been much for the idea that every single worldship that left Algol went in the same direction when not all of them even bothered to leave, no humanoid race works like that, someone's gonna say 'Screw you guys, we like the looks of the stars over *here* better, bye', and we know you can have more than one DF out at a time, so who's to say a couple of them didn't get loose after Palma went splack and one of them wiped out all of one group of ships but the Alisa III and the Neo Palm, and then another that went with another group of ships was stopped before it could destroy them all, and the one it was on crashed into Ragol and became the Ruins and another, or a couple of other ones, went on as normal and eventually colonized Coral? Sure, that idea has problems too, but eh.)

And if they try to link PSU to PS... Ugh. Yeah. At that point I'd be done with the PS franchise until such time as the universe goes sideways and they have Kodama and Yoshida make PSV.

Hell, even a PSO link that involves more than Ragol being some VR training mission would make me scream. Especially since PSO got enough of a storyline beating within the PSO series itself. XP (EpIII, I'm looking at YOU.)

Funny, how I'm willing to toss around the idea of a PS-PSO connection, even if I don't believe a word of it, but the mere idea of trying to link PS and PSU sets my teeth on edge. Then again, I enjoyed PSO and its world setting and storyline far, far more than I enjoy PSU's. PSO inspired me to want to do something more with my characters than just play them, PSU kind of doesn't.

Now, write me some more fanfics, Dezo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

CrimsomWolf
Aug 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
It's like Gundam storylines: Concept remains the same, but we changed the scene: In original Gundam we had Zion vs. Earth Federation, in Gundam SEED ZAFT vs. Earth Alliance plus Coordinators vs. Naturals.... but basically it was the same: People from colonies rebel against opressive/racist/corrupt goverment of Earth.

I believe the same is with Phantasy Star

DezoPenguin
Aug 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
On 2007-08-27 05:44, Ian-KunX wrote:

Now, write me some more fanfics, Dezo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Um...okay.

Here you are. (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=152868&forum=12&0) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_pengy.gif