PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep for self-defense in your home?

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
A lot of people have some sort of weapon, or make-shift weapon in their house. Just in case kind of thing obviously. In the house as in close by, like under the bed, bed-side, etc..

I, personally, have the thick end of a pool stick about 3 feet from my bed. Thing's tough as a bat.

So what do you keep in your home?

Blitzkommando
Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 PM
I keep a crowbar shaped piece of metal and Louisville slugger next to my bed.

astuarlen
Aug 14, 2007, 10:15 PM
You're just trying to figure out which of us would be an easy target. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

Sinue_v2
Aug 14, 2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/61983905da_b400.jpg

Retehi
Aug 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
http://apocalypse-tribe.com/rdfox/4402.jpg

Old, but works.

AlexCraig
Aug 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
I have:
2 katanas
1 wakizashi
1 elven longsword
2 longswords
1 dagger
5 arrows/1 bow
1 quarterstaff

David has:
1 katana
1 rapier
1 flail
2 quarterstaves
1 battleaxe
2 daggers
1 hammer

Parents have:
6 bows
At least 7 swords
Several daggers
Elven knives

DizzyDi
Aug 14, 2007, 10:44 PM
On 2007-08-14 20:34, AlexCraig wrote:
I have:
2 katanas
1 wakizashi
1 elven longsword
2 longswords
1 dagger
5 arrows/1 bow
1 quarterstaff

David has:
1 katana
1 rapier
1 flail
2 quarterstaves
1 battleaxe
2 daggers
1 hammer

Parents have:
6 bows
At least 7 swords
Several daggers
Elven knives

I'm trying real hard to think of something witty for this...but I'm at a loss for words.

The important questions are, can you REALLY use those weapons and are they REALLY weapons or just some lame replicas you picked up from LARPing in the mountains?

-Crokar-
Aug 14, 2007, 10:45 PM
nothing.i dont need it

AlexCraig
Aug 14, 2007, 10:52 PM
Some are replicas, but many are real. Hell, even in a risk of life or death, a replica can do a ton of damage to a person. I practice with my swords mostly.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 14, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-08-14 20:45, -Crokar- wrote:
nothing.i dont need it

Are you like 6'3", 260 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

KodiaX987
Aug 14, 2007, 11:12 PM
A metal ruler, a nonfunctional laptop, a full set of golf clubs, a Louisville Slugger, a burning hot nightstand lap, my fists, and balls of steel.

My middle name is MacGuyver.

Solstis
Aug 14, 2007, 11:32 PM
How paranoid must you be to have items in your household specifically to be used as weapons? It's an aesthetic no-no. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

It's like e-geeks think they'll go in to "hero mode" if there was a thief in their home. I will beat someone with a shoe if I have to, but I'm not going to keep one under my pillow.

I mean, if you live in the sort of place where a weapon is necessary, then have one by all means. But, otherwise, it's kinda creepy.

DikkyRay
Aug 14, 2007, 11:34 PM
If my alarm system doesnt scare em off, i have a really small, toy bat. I mean its only 12 inches long, at most. But still, its small, blunt, and i can swing it quickly

Niered
Aug 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
All this time and only 2 guns? ( 1 really, although those nerf guns are pretty badass) Im disapointed.

Well, lets see, at my dads house we have a glock he keeps under his bed, two 22 rifles, and some random shotgun whose name escapes me. Point being, its a shotgun, and noone fucks with that. Of course, realisitically the glock is the only one meant for actual self defense. The rest are just there for target practice. That glock is actually a good idea on my dads part, considering the fact that we live a good 10 minutes from any police force, having something that you can defend yourself with is definitely nice.

Here at my stepdads house, Im pretty sure weve got a couple handguns. But those arent really for self defense, once again, those are more for gun ranges. My brother essentially has what comes down to as a small cutlery of weaponry as well, something that would take roughly a page to actually catalouge.

Buuuuuut im gonna agree with solstis on all this. All these faux and replica weapons really arent practical. Even if you ARE skilled in them. Theres a reason that the saying "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight" was coined y'know?

AlexCraig
Aug 14, 2007, 11:46 PM
On 2007-08-14 21:32, Solstis wrote:
I mean, if you live in the sort of place where a weapon is necessary, then have one by all means. But, otherwise, it's kinda creepy.

For me it is about collecting. I collect swords and other such weapons. I could use them for self-defense, but I don't have to.

Skuda
Aug 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
Bokken. Nuff said. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dangerous55
Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 AM
On 2007-08-14 21:32, Solstis wrote:

Tell that to the kids at V-Tech or Columbine. Nowhere is safe...that sounds alarmist. Just be prepared, why not? It can save your life.

Now on to me. I have many firearms, which would be most usefull if somewhere were to break in. Most are older bolt-action military arms I collect and some surplus pistols. I would probably turn to my double barrel Coach Gun in 12gauge, my CZ-75B in 9mm or Makarov in 9mmMAK. Also have a decent bayonet and many baseball and softball bats because I like the sun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I encourage everyone to own a good firearm for home defense. Why not? You just never know. Anyone interested in asking about good firearms for home defense just PM me!

Pic is of my CZ-75B(now has black plastic grips I like better) and a CZ-52 in 7.62x25 but that round is pretty hot and may penetrate walls I wouldn't want it to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Whiterook/S5030910.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2007-08-14 22:25 ]</font>

Solstis
Aug 15, 2007, 12:30 AM
I would only need to defend myself with a gun from a crazy person with a gun.

I'm pretty sure that I have a fair chance of disarming someone that has a knife. I need a gun to defend myself from a gun (most likely). I can see the point of those that say that they have a right to own a gun, but tougher guns laws aren't taking any rights away, no matter what the NRA says.

Also, are you telling me to bring a gun to class just in case? I am paranoid enough. I do not need to be paranoid with a gun.

Dangerous55
Aug 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
On 2007-08-14 22:30, Solstis wrote:
I would only need to defend myself with a gun from a crazy person with a gun.

I'm pretty sure that I have a fair chance of disarming someone that has a knife. I need a gun to defend myself from a gun (most likely).

Maybe you can. I wouldn't bet my life on that and the 23 year old 90 120 pound girl probably won't want to against the 250 pound methed up guy with priors.

I can see the point of those that say that they have a right to own a gun, but tougher guns laws aren't taking any rights away, no matter what the NRA says.

How is it not taking my rights away? Does the law in California which says citizens may only have 10 round capacity magazines for their pistols honestly do anything? Do you REALLY think it does a thing? Would it do anything if they said they could have none at all? No, that has failed in the UK and Washington DC. Criminals don't follow laws, how do people not understand thins?

Also, are you telling me to bring a gun to class just in case? I am paranoid enough. I do not need to be paranoid with a gun.

I'm saying why not give the option? A reason why school shootings happen is because they know nobody will resist much. Law written in Washington DC did nothing to help the kids at VT or Columbine. I'm not paranoid and I don't live in fear. I just put two and two together and love life so much I don't want to lose it.

ABDUR101
Aug 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
My entire family owns firearms of all sorts; but most of them are for firing ranges/hunting. Only afew are meant for actual defense. We live out in the country, people don't have home security system bullshit around here. Alarms in the middle of no where, big-fucking-whoop. You know what the alarm system is here? One gun-shot is the warning, any others will be killshots. Why? Because if someone has the balls to break into my house, I have the balls to kill them.

I'm quite adamant about that, as I had an uncle(my one and only) killed, and I'm really sick and tired of fuckers being statistics just because they have a false sense of security or don't want to be 'overzealous'. Fuck that, I'm with D55; be prepared to kill someone. I'd much rather the news article read "Man kills home intruder before he could cause harm" rather than "Man kills family of three during a break-in".

Odds are when I get around to it I'll go through all the red tape of having a concealed weapon license; just because even in town there are robberies quite often. Chambersburg is really fucked up in that it has rural areas, out of the way, middle of fields, and then the actual town has gone to shit in areas on the outskirts where the 'town' starts to meet the rural bits. Shady bastards hang out and pass through all the time.

As far as this house goes; we're fine. A family of scrappers really; the firearms are moreso just an expedient jump to the point.

Weeaboolits
Aug 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
I have a few swords and daggers, though I don't keep them for the purpose of defense.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 15, 2007, 01:01 AM
I don't have a weapon because I'm paranoid. I doubt I'll ever need it but still.

*EDIT* Also, I'd like to add on carrying guns to public places. Criminals WANT an unfair fight. If you have a weapon on you, odds are they won't be anxious to fight back. Taking guns away from the public won't reduce crime rates. You'd see more reduced crime rates if [imore[/i] people had weapons. How many criminals will break into a house when they know someone has a gun inside?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sgt_Shligger on 2007-08-14 23:04 ]</font>

Solstis
Aug 15, 2007, 01:02 AM
I don't have a false sense of security. I called myself paranoid. I freak out easily. I should not have a firearm, and I can bet that a lot of people that are armed should not be as well.

I didn't say that the law in California made sense. A lot of laws are really stupid. I do believe that current attempts to kill the gun registry are fueled less by a desire to protect rights than "we want to sell more guns without any silly restrictions scaring away consumers."

If I lived in the country or scary part of town, yeah, I would consider owning a gun. Do I need one now? Do I need as I drive to the store just in case someone wants to start a gun battle? No.

If you are concerned that someone will try to kill you at any moment, then you are living in fear. That's a pretty clear-cut example of it. It's not really that shameful, don't think that Humanity would have gotten far if cavemen mosied around.

Sinue_v2
Aug 15, 2007, 01:05 AM
All this time and only 2 guns?

Actually, I have a chrome plated Colt .38 Police Edition revolver and a Savage Stephens .410 pump shotgun. I also have a ripple-blade sword, but it's pretty beat up and only good for swinging around like that fat Star Wars kid does.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-14 23:19 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Aug 15, 2007, 01:08 AM
Thread: I'm scared of guns ;____________;

I have a piece of shit machete somewhere. Not really practical. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

-Crokar-
Aug 15, 2007, 01:15 AM
On 2007-08-14 21:03, Sgt_Shligger wrote:

On 2007-08-14 20:45, -Crokar- wrote:
nothing.i dont need it

Are you like 6'3", 260 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

6'3 350 actually

Genoa
Aug 15, 2007, 01:21 AM
My dad's got a 12-gauge rifle, but it's definatly not loaded <_> so it would suck hardcore if someone actually did break in. As far as a self-defensive weapon... pretty much anything in my room. I've got like, 2 monitors and 2 small tv's in my room, I could chuck one at em xD or throw one of my surround sound speakers, that would suck to get hit with that =/ owwie
Now this all depends... if someone breaks in and they're not in my room yet and I know they're in here... then i'd probably take one of the automatic fans sitting next to my door and bust some ass with it... but if I had no clue, i'm sure it would go something like "OH SHI- *dead*"
=/

Mwabwetumba
Aug 15, 2007, 01:32 AM
Given the circumstances, I'd use a spiked mace.
Not only is it smaller and alot more manageable indoors than the rest of my collection, it also hits like a comet and won't decapitate a struck victim, merely break some bones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

CupOfCoffee
Aug 15, 2007, 01:38 AM
I don't think any of the things in my house that would classify as weapons were specifically designed as such. There might be a baseball bat in the garage or any number of long bludgeoning type objects I could swing around, but none that I'd imagine were sold on their ability to strike a killing blow. Oh, but there's this drawer full of "miracle blade knives," which basically just means we don't reach into that drawer without gloves on, because even the backside of those stupid blades will slice your hands up.

We used to have a handgun that might still be floating around somewhere, but I don't think it's kept loaded.

Sekani
Aug 15, 2007, 01:43 AM
The first thing I can find.

Dre_o
Aug 15, 2007, 01:48 AM
I have an extremely sharp switch blade and physical stealth.

Well we have Airsoft guns. VERY powerful Airsoft guns. Won't kill someone. But if my bro unloads his airsoft Glock into someone's FACE, I'm sure I'd have time to put him in a strangle hold with the switch blade to his neck.

Katrina
Aug 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
aerosol can and a lighter.

Kent
Aug 15, 2007, 06:28 AM
An assortment of rather large (as in, pushing the legal limit for what can be considered a "knife") kitchen knives, and quite a large mallet. By that, I mean the size of a Diablo II Maul.

It's called "The Boss."

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 15, 2007, 07:06 AM
I have a bokken, wooden tonfas, some replica swords, and a pair of metal nunchakus which I don't know how to use, but I can change those wooden nunchakus to a regular stick which I can use to hit people without running the risk of hurting myself, so that may work. But in the end, my best weapon would be my Muay Thai and Jujitsu skills. Anyone who breaks in would get some low kicks to their thighs and a shitload of knees to thier face.

amtalx
Aug 15, 2007, 07:24 AM
I keep a Lavis Cannon under my bed.

Powder Keg
Aug 15, 2007, 08:06 AM
Plenty of hockey sticks.

Darkly
Aug 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
self-defence? well seen as my house has no weapons and such (uk) I would probably use the handy handle of my gamecube to help me bash someones head i guess.

Sayara
Aug 15, 2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah. Theres a gun somewhere in the house. Dad hides it from us. We also have a Bat.

I have a T-Ruler http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Wyndham
Aug 15, 2007, 09:39 AM
I have various blunt objects, nothing fancy.

ABDUR101
Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
On 2007-08-14 23:02, Solstis wrote:
If you are concerned that someone will try to kill you at any moment, then you are living in fear. That's a pretty clear-cut example of it. It's not really that shameful, don't think that Humanity would have gotten far if cavemen mosied around.

It's not living in fear; living in fear is not going someplace or doing something because you're afraid of the possibility that anyone can and will hurt you.

We go out, do whatever we have to wherever we have to, with the reassurance that IF someone tries to do anything, at home or anywhere else; we don't have anything to worry about once things do get started. If anything I feel much more assured, because I know that if anyone comes into the house who isn't supposed to be here, they have a good chance of being the one who gets hurt and sent to the hospital.

The reality is anything can happen; my reassurance is that when it does, I'm prepared to the best of my ability. I've never had a problem sleeping, even when I was younger and we found tracks in the snow around the house from the night before.

I just see the world differently I guess. I'm prepared to kill someone attempting to cause me or my family harm; I'd just as soon be able to do it quickly and efficiently. That goes for anyone, you don't need a gun; but I live in an area where firearms are owned by pretty much everyone and it would just be stupid to NOT have one.

Not everyone SHOULD have a firearm, but then if idealistic living were the order of the day we would'nt need them.

McLaughlin
Aug 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
I keep my Hockey stick and skates in my closet, as well as a Baseball bat beside my dresser. They aren't there because I wanted them at the ready in the case of a break-in, but should I need them, they're there. I'm also a brown belt in Judo (can't get a black belt because there's an age restriction. It's there to keep tournaments fair), and I also know quite a bit of Karate. My room is also right in front of the stairs, so I could always pull a "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!" and boot the criminal down the stairs. Chances are though, I'd hit him in the balls with one instrument or another before breaking his arm.

My Dad used to own a pistol of some sort, but I don't know if he has it anymore, and he doesn't live with me anyway. I've no desire to own a gun.

Solstis
Aug 15, 2007, 12:48 PM
Seems like there's a thin line between prepardness and fear, though I'll have to take your word that you fall under the former, not the latter.

I'm not sure if I could deal with killing someone, intruder or not. But, yeah, if you're surrounded by firearms, and it's pretty much the local culture to have one, then having a collection yourself is no big deal.

HeadCrabz
Aug 15, 2007, 01:00 PM
Mossberg helps me sleep better at night.

AC9breaker
Aug 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
On 2007-08-14 20:31, Retehi wrote:
http://apocalypse-tribe.com/rdfox/4402.jpg

Old, but works.

Dood isn't that the gun The Joker used to shoot down the Batplane in the first Batman movie???

ABDUR101
Aug 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
On 2007-08-15 11:34, AC9breaker wrote:
Dood isn't that the gun The Joker used to shoot down the Batplane in the first Batman movie???

Thank God I wasn't the only one who thought that. Hahaha!

ulyoth
Aug 15, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have a pair of escrima sticks in my room, dont keep them there for self defence theyre just were i keep all my stuff (Gloves, shin pads etc.)
Abit like these:
http://dragonspringinc.com/dragon%20escrima%20sticks.jpg

Split
Aug 15, 2007, 09:03 PM
Let's see...

I keep an rpg-7 in a hidden compartment in every room, six knives and two glock automatics in a holster attached to the inside of my pants, a fa-mas assault rifle is hidden in my spice cabinet, two starved hounds and a chicken in my basement, a rusty spoon, six auto turrets set up just outside the main perimeter, three predator drones, a pitchfork, a crossbow that fires arrows with poison coated tips,a cqc-7 knife with a grip modified for maximum blade stability and capability of being hidden in the anal cavity of a small mammal (haven't used that function), a mace, reverse bladed sword, a non-reverse-bladed sword, a double-bladed sword, a sword, sex, a stun gun, handcuffs to attach people to railings and kick them down staircases, steel-toed boots, steel-fingered gloves, a steel-forheaded helmet, steel-kneed pants, islamic terrorists in semtex-rigged cars stationed in my driveway, apache helicopter (I don't use it), modified nintendo ds capable of hacking into the whitehouse and bringing the country up to defcon 5 and launching all of o'ur nuclear weapons, a control hub in my attic from which I can operate a satellite mounted laser that is trained on my front lawn and a missile silo in my backyard that can send smart bombs through a window in my house and straight up an intruder's asshole, and a big guy who tells people "'ey, i dun think yo 21, willis"

no, I keep an old 22. caliber rifle in my living room. never had to fire it, don't think I, or anyone else in my family ever will.

zentetsua
Aug 15, 2007, 09:36 PM
i have in my room the following: 1 katana [ w/ damaged hilt ], 1 machete [ i can't spell lol XP ], 1 boot knife, 1 lock blade knife, 6 sticks [ walking stick strength ], and a bunch of boffing wepons [ pvc piping,foam pading,and duct tape ].

Genoa
Aug 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
On 2007-08-15 05:24, amtalx wrote:
I keep a Lavis Cannon under my bed.

lulz http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
but... We all know if pso was real ... that Varista > Lavis Cannon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

AlexCraig
Aug 15, 2007, 09:53 PM
Red Handgun > Varista http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Zelutos
Aug 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
I have a series of 4 katana's.

Not for self defense, just for deco.

AzureBlaze
Aug 16, 2007, 12:14 AM
"Steel Kneed Pants"
Is so far, the best secret home weapon. I wonder if this is made? I wonder if it would work?

On topic:
That one guy out west somewhere that has the 121 jigawatt ultra tazer electro cannon mounted on his roof. There's likely a video on youtube.

EphekZ
Aug 16, 2007, 12:25 AM
I have a hamster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zael
Aug 16, 2007, 01:19 AM
Two pocket knives.

I can do RBZ in real life... i think

Syl
Aug 16, 2007, 05:33 AM
I have a katana next to my bed on the floor, some long as hell sword near the door, and my guitar also near my bed. Although I'd hate myself, a guitar can make a pretty good weapon if it's not some cheap $50 one or an acoustic (the heavier the body wood the better). Just gotta make sure to get them on the head >_>

I could also use my old piggy bank, it's a sphere the size of my head, made from steel (my dad made it at work lol)

PJ
Aug 16, 2007, 05:53 AM
On 2007-08-15 19:53, AlexCraig wrote:
Red Handgun > Varista http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Let's be real here. If any of the PSO/U/fantasy universe guns existed, I think they'd all kill just the same.

Rainbowlemon
Aug 16, 2007, 06:01 AM
Bokken! Never really thought about using it to defend myself though...I kill someone on my property in England, and i'm going to jail. I'd rather just call the police while they're raiding my house and sit with my back against the door http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ulyoth
Aug 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
On 2007-08-16 04:01, Rainbowlemon wrote:
Bokken! Never really thought about using it to defend myself though...I kill someone on my property in England, and i'm going to jail. I'd rather just call the police while they're raiding my house and sit with my back against the door http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Id just say i felt threatened, especially if my dads on nights, id say i felt as if my mum's and sister's life depended on me breaking every bone in some burglers body. I dont normally like fighting, even though im quite good, but if someones in your home stealing your stuff - i couldnt just sit there and wait for the police.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ulyoth on 2007-08-16 15:58 ]</font>

Feelmirath
Aug 16, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hmm, cricket bat I don't use anymore... oh, and that cleaver too >_>

DonRoyale
Aug 17, 2007, 06:59 PM
A thick wooden plank, my lamp, my laptop...

I don't know. I'm not afraid of that shit. Besides, if ever I have a problem, I just gotta talk to certain friends of mine...

Thalui89
Aug 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
In England the best thing to do to get the polcie to your house is to say your gonna shoot em. Srysly, apparently a farmer got sick of his property being burgled, one day he caught em, phoned the police n said he was gonan shoot em. The police turned up within minutes....But unless you go extreme, you can count on the police for shit really.

Shadowpawn
Aug 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
A switchblade. (although those things AREN'T really legal to carry. >_> )

Jaysky
Aug 19, 2007, 01:20 AM
I keep a dictionary under my pillow so if someone breaks in and comes into my room I can just read to him until his head explodes or i'll bore him to death, either one is good. (I'd prefer the head boomie through)

clynn
Aug 19, 2007, 06:12 AM
At home I got my trusty baseball bat and wen i'm out i got my not so trustty shitty little swiss army knife

Neith
Aug 19, 2007, 06:54 AM
Replica Katana, though it'd be more likely to knock someone into concussion, rather than actually cut anything http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I have a Swiss Army Knife too, I guess. Wouldn't use either for self-defense though, I don't fancy getting locked up.

clynn
Aug 19, 2007, 07:59 AM
the chances of getting stabed by a hopper in germany while your at a bar a quite high so i gotta hae something and i dont think, that anybody in the right mind would let me into a bar if i brought a baseball bat.and i'm not like some of my buddies who keep their big f'ing knives and shit like that in their car

Alamar
Aug 23, 2007, 04:16 AM
S & W .44 no explantion needed