PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Ma_Navu
Aug 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
Reflecting upon my summer vacation, I've realized that the only thing that I have done was attempt to find ways to pass the time. Being the retard that I am, I failed to even consider the possibility that the best idea would've been to get a job. Not only would I manage to pass the time away, I'd be able to make money in the process. At this point in time, I feel like slamming my head through the wall as I'm disgusted with my stupidity.

So, I wish to make things right. I remembered that, when choosing my classes for my upcoming senior year of school, I made my classes easier by going to normal courses rather than Honors courses (advanced ones, basically). If I'm lucky and my classes are easy enough, I'm gonna attempt to find a part-time job.

Before I do so, I've gotta ask some things, mainly because I have barely any experience when it comes to getting a job, which only consists of going to Publix and applying for a position using a computer set up near the entrance (and fucking up the interview so badly that they won't give me a second glance).

Here's what I gotta ask: for fast-food joints like McDonald's or Wendy's, how do you apply for the job? D'you just waltz right into the store and ask someone working at the register if there's a position open or for an application? Do you ask for the manager? How does that work?

It is my sincere hope that working at a fast-food restaurant isn't my only job-opportunity, due to my location. But if it's the only opportunity, I'm gonna go apply, dammit. I gotta set this right - doing absolutely nothing for three months straight makes me feel like shit.

Cavarcous
Aug 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, the best thing to do would be to ask to talk to the store manager or hiring manager. Whoever else you ask is just going to tell you to talk to them anyway. Once you're talking to the qualified personnel, you ask them what positions they have available; in your case those would be entry-level ones. I think you'd enjoy the grocery store versus a fast food joint as your first job, really. If that doesn't work out, though, then I guess whatever else is around you will have to do, even if it is fast-food. -_-

Ma_Navu
Aug 17, 2007, 04:35 PM
This is why I really hate where my apartment is: the closest places (which are not hiring teen-agers) are two separate gas stations (one across the street from the complex, one next to the complex. I'm fucked if a fire spreads here). All of this is positioned next to a four-way intersection, where the only things nearby are housing areas and more apartment complexes. The closest area that there is that has anything other than housing is a small assortment of shops (teens aren't allowed to work there, either), a few fast-food joints, and a Publix.

Remember, I fucked up my interview with Publix so badly that they won't even give me a second glance, so all that's left are fast-food restaurants.

By going east, this is what I get stuck with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/Raem10/Roadway.png

By going west, I can get to a second set of shops, but due to the fact that I'm not fluent in Spanish (which is the majority of the residents here), it wouldn't be a good idea to try getting a job there. Supposedly, there's a GameStop nearby that area, but I'm not exactly sure how to get there. If by chance it's within an hour's walking-distance, I'm going there. If not, everything else is too damn far away from me.

This is why I'm pissed about the fact that I need to learn how to drive, and no one wants to fuckin' teach me. >_<

Cavarcous
Aug 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
Well.. you could always get a bike, perhaps.. until you do learn how to drive. It would open up a few more options for you. Then there's always mass transit, i.e. public transportation. >_>

Ma_Navu
Aug 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
All the more reason for me to get a job: I don't have money for a bike, nor do my parents have any excess funds to spend on a bike. But that's not the main cause preventing me from getting one. Although it's somewhat embarrassing to say, I never had the opportunity to learn how to ride a bike. I've only had one bike, but it was when I was a child, so it had training wheels. That didn't help one bit. >_>

Thalui89
Aug 17, 2007, 05:49 PM
Bikes arent everything :/ theres always public trabnsport to get you by http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. If you lived my town then you'd also discover that only young lasses have jobs XD. *cough* sexist employers *cough*

Ma_Navu
Aug 17, 2007, 06:15 PM
Well, looking at MapQuest, the directions to the nearest GameStop are simple--it's just a matter of figuring out how long it'll take me to walk there. I just gotta go straight down the road and make a left, but my walking speed is crap, and the "go straight down the road" part is long as hell.

I guess I just gotta try walking there at some point in time and see what I'm dealing with here.

AlexCraig
Aug 17, 2007, 06:39 PM
My job is about 3-4 miles from my house. I don't have my liscence due to complications and my bike is in crappy condition. Unless I get a ride from my friends/coworkers, I have to walk down a busy IL Rt. 25, and cross several very busy intersections.