PDA

View Full Version : Connecting using a Phone Line Simulator

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 26, 2002, 12:32 PM
Um, I have a problem. I got the DC version of PSO for x-mas. It's version 1. (Okay, no one tell me I'm cheap and to go buy the the GC version, okay?) I know for a fact that I can't get my DC online using a BBA adapter (I have cable btw).

SO, I found a nifty site that let's you set up a Windows server to share your cable connection with PSO. Cool! BUT, it didn't work for me. It turns out I have a newer model Dreamcast. (It's my sister's, but that's not important!) The thing is, I have to build a phone line simulator to simulate the voltage an ordinary phone line gives to the Dreamcast to make it dial into my computer.

The hard part is, although that site had directions on how to make one, my local Radioshack doesn't have all the things I need to make the simulator. (a .47 MFD 100V Electrolyte Capacitor... "huh?" Yeah, that's what I was thinking http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;) Anywho, I just wanted to know if anyone here has made a phoneline simulator for their Dreamcast, because the only two sites on the internet I have found are not helpful anymore. Also, I need to know what you used to make it! Thanks!

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 26, 2002, 10:48 PM
I give up... I built the simulator and it doesn't work... PSO has one less user, as I refuse to let those horrible crooks on ebay have another Broadband adapter sale. :0(

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 26, 2002, 11:21 PM
Oh yes, I'm replying to my own thread again... I can't even connect to PSO with a free isp! Oh GRRR! *cries*

Rich_T
Dec 27, 2002, 02:48 PM
I made one, its sitting coiled up in front of me now, although the P.C i was going to use it on has died, i might get round to sorting it out one day.
for now im going to use dial up.

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 27, 2002, 07:49 PM
O h my god! *dies* Okay, I need you to visit this site:

http://www.psxemu.com/RVWinkle/DCConnect/

My connector box thingy looks like the one here, but his wiring is confusing. Also, this site:
home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/Bugs.htm
has directions that are contradictory to the diagrams. I've tried almost every possiblity. So, could you please e-mail me at [email protected] or IM me on AIm at GoldGamer7 to please tell me how you did this? I kinda need specifics, like where everything goes... sorry to ask you this...but I really need help!

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 27, 2002, 07:51 PM
...wait a sec...have you used your lime simulator before? ...the fact that it works is kind of important. *cough*

Rich_T
Dec 28, 2002, 04:20 PM
I havent been able to use it yet, as the P.C i intend to use has died ( and i havent had time to get it working again, the win XP set up makes my other P.C act wierd)) i used this as a giude
http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/Bugs.htm

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 28, 2002, 09:35 PM
Um, mhmm, that's one of the sites I listed. It's confusing. His directions say one thing, while the diagram shows another. Tre confusing. :

I have gotten it to work for me a different way, but it involves my phoneline being used. Ewwww. So, in short, I still really need this simulator, so people can use the phone. *nod*

Guntz348
Dec 28, 2002, 11:28 PM
Dude much easier solution is to just get an extension phone wire, plug that into the phone jack on the wall and the other end into the DC and there you go ur online and playin.

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 29, 2002, 02:26 AM
That's what i meant Guntz, I am able to sign online now using the wall jack. The problem is I don't want to tie up the phone line though. : Thanks anyway. Right now I am SO pooped though, g'night.
(Um, yah, and this this information is relevent how? I dun know... I'm tired, okay!)

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 29, 2002, 06:46 PM
Ou! Goody goody good news everyone! I think the phone line simulator works. ^o^ My sister rebuilt it. Wo0t! The problem now is that, I can't log in. The directions at one site say to change your modem's registry file so the the "2" setting says ATA<cr>. I did that. I did it before I even tried building the simulator actually. However, I KNOW my problem is related to this somehow because a connection IS establish briefly, but, my computer's dialup modem won't "answer" the call.

Um..in short, I asked someone already, but they didn't know. The question is, "Isn't there some run command that you do to update the windows registry?" And I wasn't talking about updreg I think either... gawd this stinks! So much TOIL. ><

Kyroc
Feb 18, 2003, 07:09 AM
Uh, do you mind rephrasing how exactly you got online before using a simulator? Cuz i don't understand the whole wall jack thing. I tried plugging my phone line to a splitter one going to the DC the other to the PC, and it still doesn't pick up a dial tone....http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif PLEASE HELP

RagMasterRappy
Feb 18, 2003, 01:06 PM
I really doubt that you need a capacitor in the line simulator. I'm assuming you're hooking it up to a DC power supply? In that case, a capacitor will act like a short circuit (it will act the same as if you were to replace it with a wire.) I made a line voltage simulator, but I doubt you'd want to touch it, because it's based primarly on using the computer as a power supply.

Kyroc
Feb 18, 2003, 02:39 PM
I'm trying not to have to use a phone simulator. How can i connect my DC to the PC (i'm guessing my DC is one of the newer ones), without using a phone simulator, but have it use the BBA? It keeps saying it won't pick up the phone dial? ANYONE HELP?

RagMasterRappy
Feb 18, 2003, 02:49 PM
If you use a BBA, just get an extra network card for your computer, and a crossover cable for the connection to the computer. Then you can just install some NAT software and you'll be all set.

Kyroc
Feb 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
Actually, i think you misunderstoood me. I don't have the BBA. I want to connect my computer so I can go online on my DC using my DSL connection. Any suggestions?

RagMasterRappy
Feb 18, 2003, 03:24 PM
Then you need some sort of line voltage simulator if your modem needs one.

Kyroc
Feb 18, 2003, 03:27 PM
No way i can do this without using a phone simulator?

RagMasterRappy
Feb 18, 2003, 03:35 PM
There's a good chance you don't need one if you have a model 1 Dreamcast with its original modem or the connector on the modem has all 4 pins on it.

Kyroc
Feb 18, 2003, 03:39 PM
I think i have one of the newer DC's, so it might not be the case. is there a way i can make the modem have all the 4 connectors on it? or some other suggestion?

RagMasterRappy
Feb 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
You'll need a line voltage simulator