PDA

View Full Version : GC: Who's on PPPoE?

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 03:41 AM
Maybe this should belong to Tech Support... but...

Who's playing PSO on a PPPoE connection?
What's your set up?
Have a router? Or tru PC?

Please, answer: there're few of us ecnountering problems with PPPoE connection. I just want to know if anyone is actually playing PSO over this connection or, as other users reported, US PSO still contains a PPPoE bug.

Thanks,

~neko

BrokenHope
Dec 27, 2002, 07:43 AM
IF people were using a router or internet connection sharing they would no longer be using PPPoE anyway. To answer your question yes the US version still has the PPPoE bug.

Tavia
Dec 27, 2002, 08:02 AM
On 2002-12-27 04:43, Broken Hope wrote:
IF people were using a router or internet connection sharing they would no longer be using PPPoE anyway.

Although they would not be using PPPoE to connect with PSO, it would still be a PPPoE connection. The network would be DHCP, and thus the GC would connect via that, but it would not change the nature of their ISP connectivity.

Tavia
Dec 27, 2002, 08:04 AM
I think you already know my setup, neko-chan, but I was originally connecting via PPPoE exclusively. I proceeded to eliminate our network's hub, replace it with a router, set up the router as a DHCP server, and now enjoy a psuedo-"always on" internet connection as well as disconnect-free PSO games.

BrokenHope
Dec 27, 2002, 08:06 AM
Yes but from his post he was asking that in direct relation to the PPPoE fsod/bsod glitchs. Since using a router means you are no longer connecting with pso using a PPPoE connection since the router works as a DHCP server the actual connection to the pso servers isn't PPPoE.

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 08:14 AM
I don not encounter any FSOD. PSO simply randomly disconnect.

My settings:

GCN BBA: auto (get data from DHCP)
PC: Win98SE machine with 2 nics

WinRoute Lite provides the settings for GCN. It works fine, it's fast, everything goes smooth except that I'm kicked out of the game every 10 minutes.

I wanted to know if other people has my same problems and what was (if any) the solution they adopted.

A solution can be buying a router. This solution would be 100% effective? I don't want to spend money for the router and end up with the random disconnection again.

Another solution would be change my DSL connection. I can ask my provider to switch me over ATM. They will send me a new modem, I'll send back to them the one I'm using and voilą.

These two first solutions would the the best. But they take time. It takes time to order a router from USA (here they cost 200 dollars) and it takes time to get a new modem from my ISP.

Other solutions? Anyone else tried with WinRoute Lite? This is what I want to know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-27 05:20 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Dec 27, 2002, 08:36 AM
Well using internet connection sharing which you are is basicly the same as a router. It could be a misconfiguration with winroute.

If you could get hold of windows XP it would be alot simpler to set up the internet connection sharing without the need for any other software since it's all built into XP.

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 08:41 AM
On 2002-12-27 05:36, Broken Hope wrote:
Well using internet connection sharing which you are is basicly the same as a router. It could be a misconfiguration with winroute.

That's what I was thinking... I didn't see any difference between a router and what WinRoute is doing now. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know so much about networking things >_>;;;

If it's a misconfiguration... what the right settings would be?

Vampir
Dec 27, 2002, 11:19 AM
Since Diretvinternet Broadband is closing I switched to Earthlink DSL service last week. I had to change to a PPPoe. I connect my GC directly to my modem. I had to put in my ISP information. Mine is working fine. I know it is convient to be conencted online at the same time (both GC and PC) but is it necessary? NM you may have other people the house who may want to use the computer or you may chat at the same time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Try to do a direct connection if possible.

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 11:38 AM
On 2002-12-27 08:19, Vampir wrote:
Since Diretvinternet Broadband is closing I switched to Earthlink DSL service last week. I had to change to a PPPoe. I connect my GC directly to my modem. I had to put in my ISP information. Mine is working fine. I know it is convient to be conencted online at the same time (both GC and PC) but is it necessary? NM you may have other people the house who may want to use the computer or you may chat at the same time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Try to do a direct connection if possible.

*hugs Vampir* I'll try!!! Thanks ^_^

neko-chan
Dec 27, 2002, 04:03 PM
Well... it works! I just needed to *directly* plug the modem cable into BBA. Then set up the BBA with my ISP user name and password.

It works fine: no lag, no disconnections, no FSOD, nothing.

Thanks vampir!!! ^_^