PDA

View Full Version : Favorite quotes?

DurakkenX
Aug 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
What are your favorite quotes?

Some of mine are...

"Guns don't kill people, but if I had one I would"

"The only reason humans are still alive is because god broke the die button when killing the dinosaurs"

"Cogito ergo sum"

Weeaboolits
Aug 29, 2007, 09:45 AM
Jabir Ibn Hayyan wrote:
My wealth let sons and brethren part
Some things they cannot share.
My work well done, my noble heart
These are mine own to wear.

amtalx
Aug 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
Carpe noctem

Kylie
Aug 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
I have too many to list. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I'm kind of really into being deep and taking wisdom for all sorts of places, applying them to my life, etc. People that know me best know that this all too true. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-08-29 08:42 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Aug 29, 2007, 12:23 PM
What kind of a peace do we seek? I am talking about genuine peace. The kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living. Not merely peace in our time, but peace in all time. Our problems are man-made, therefore, they can be solved by man. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal. ~ John F. Kennedy
(Yes, I know it's a cobble together from several different speaches and thus probably not applicable for a true quote. Bite me)

I've seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it never came to pass. ~ Mark Twain

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity. ~ Henry David Thoreau

After people have repeated a phrase a great number of times, they begin to realize it has meaning and may even be true. ~ H.G. Wells

I must confess that my imagination refuses to see any sort of submarine doing anything but suffocating its crew and floundering at sea. ~ H.G. Wells critiquing Jules Verne
(I like it, considering how right I think Wells was about so many things - yet blatantly wrong in this case. It reminds me that my heros are also fallible)

Anyone who would trade liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. ~ Ray Bradbury

Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~ Heinrich HEINE
(This quote struck me for how prophetically true it turned out to be a century later)

I am certain there is too much certainy in the world. ~ Michael Crichton

Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. ~ George Bernard Shaw

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. ~ W.C. Fields

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. ~ W.C. Fields

Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times. ~ W.C. Fields
(lol, this guy is an Alcoholic's Guru)

I don’t have pet peeves — I have major psychotic fucking hatreds! ~ George Carlin

Call on God, but row away from the rocks. ~ Hunter Thompson

.... to name a very few.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-29 10:30 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Aug 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
I quote WAY too many things, but my latest quote is in my sig. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wyndham
Aug 29, 2007, 01:12 PM
"how dare you fool around in my area!"~Phoenix Magnion, Megaman Zero 2

McLaughlin
Aug 29, 2007, 01:32 PM
Impossible is just a word people use so they don't feel bad about quitting.

Weeaboolits
Aug 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
HI-SPEED 3D ACTION, CHAO!

Feelmirath
Aug 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
Your honour, that statement clearly contradicts this evidence!

DikkyRay
Aug 29, 2007, 05:54 PM
"A friend will bail you out of jail, but ony a best friend will be in jail with you going, damn we are stupid" (there are like 50 different versions of that)
And its not the real quote from him, but from "America the Book" By Jon Stewert

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!" - FDR, 1942...or something
"Oh, and starvation. We might all starve." - FDR, 1942.
not the real thing, but so damn funny.

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 29, 2007, 06:01 PM
I usually list my favorite quotes in my sig. from time to time.

Dre_o
Aug 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
"Fear leads to hate. Hate leads anger. And anger, leads to the Dark Side."

-Yoda

Ok, not EXACTLY how it goes but it is absolutely true

Makai_Fan
Aug 29, 2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vovXa9e52f4
lezard best villain ever

DizzyDi
Aug 29, 2007, 09:48 PM
Don't remember the exact quote, went something like.

Why did God create Humans separate from himself. So he may say, be not like me, for I am alone, and it be heard.

A few more, mainly from rap songs:

Look honey everbody needs a help-up buddy
No body's drug-free, the streets would be hella bloody
Do you call yourself a patient of a junky?
The only thing that separates is who takes your money

can't have one or two chains, we need three of dem
Can't have one or two guns without squeezin 'em
on our own people and, fuck black leaders
cause whites ain't got none leadin them, the rhythm is cosmic
Nas is divinity, the deity's prophetless

If the opposite of pro is a con then look beyond this
The opposite of congress must be progress

I'll post more as they come to mind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-08-29 19:55 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Aug 29, 2007, 09:54 PM
Song lyrics, but overall great.

"Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry. Snow can burn your eyes, but only people make you cry. Home's a place for comin' from; for dreams of going to. Which with any luck will never come true."

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 29, 2007, 11:33 PM
"Guns kill people? If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelling a word." (Or something like that)

McLaughlin
Aug 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
Build it with wood, and it'll burn. Build it with stone, and it will crumble. But build it with passion, and it'll stand up to just about anything.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Aug 30, 2007, 03:36 PM
"It's important that I do not move because if I were to move that would add to the cost, so if I stay perfectly still that will be preferable to moving because animation costs money. Awhhhhh." -Speed Racer; Robot Chicken

Dre_o
Aug 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep."

MushiKuro
Aug 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
"Humans can be more Stronger!"
Random anime Shout.

See ya!

X.X

GreenArcher
Aug 30, 2007, 08:08 PM
Carpe Diem

Tetsaru
Aug 31, 2007, 02:30 AM
I'm partial to the quote in my signature. It was flavor text from a Magic: the Gathering card, of all things, but I find it to be very true.