PDA

View Full Version : Anyone agree?

Arcyon
Sep 1, 2007, 02:00 PM
A bit of a rant here, but not worth putting in the Rants forum beceause, well, I just don't think it's worth it =]
The PSO drop rate system: could it possibly be one of the most annoying factors of the gaming world? (okay, okay, only joking =])
Just now, whilst doing a Soul of a Blacksmith run, I had a stroke of luck; I saw both a Pal Rappy and a Hildetorr. But that was it. I was hoping for another change at a Red Partisan with hit% from the Pal Rappy, but instead it drops meseta (a 1/2 chance!). I was hoping for a Frozen Shooter with even more hit% from the Hildetorr, but it drops yet more meseta (again, a 1/2 chance!). And later on in a different run, a red box from a Whitill Tollaw (!). The words 'OMGWTFUX!!' were on my tongue, but, well, you can guess what happened ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif ).
Anyway, my point is: does anyone else think the drop rate system is highly annoying, not only because it forces you to keep on playing, but because all of your hard work and effort is usually in vain?
(I know, the 'forcing you to play' bit sounds a bit harsh, and it's still your decision, but if you really want something it's very annoying)

Freeze
Sep 1, 2007, 02:21 PM
If it was too easy to find things then there wouldn't be much point to keep playing after all these years and there wouldn't be that sense of accomplishment when that elusive rare finally showed up. Heck if things were easy to find I might not still be playing. Could be worse, the version 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast was almost imposible to find rares. I think in all the time I spent there I only saw one.

concussionman
Sep 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
If you are playing on a high enough difficulty level you should be gaining relatively good experience during your rare hunting, whether or not you find rares. So if you are challenging yourself to get certain rares that are in difficult areas, or that are found from strong enemies, you should have a good time and a fulfilling game experience.

Plus, the fact that some rares are near impossible to find, is one of the highlights of the game. If you find it you have bragging rights and have a better aresenal of items, and if you haven't found it, you'll have something to look forward to. In most games you can find every item easily and then there is nothing left to do in the game, where as finding all the items in PSO is quite a challenge. Also the link between online and offline rare items was quite well thought out and removing the drop rates would have diminished the system.

Arcyon
Sep 1, 2007, 02:44 PM
I understand that, but sometimes it's just... annoying =]
Like, say you've been looking for something with a 12 star rarity for, say, 2 years - eventually you're going to get so bored that you stop playing, which doesn't really help PSO's popularity...
P.S. Please, someone tell me it's not going to take me 2 years to get the Milla... I hate to think what looking for the Guld is like... =S

concussionman
Sep 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, it can be frustrating but I find its a little easier when you find that 18th Photon Drop, just to remember that its just a game, and laugh at how comically bad your luck is.

And finding those handguns shouldn't take two years, but then again the drop rates aren't very forgiving.

Arcyon
Sep 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ha ha, you're right =]
I laugh at everything anyway.
It's the Guld I'm worried about =] You'd have thought Sonic Team would have lowered the drop rate to the same as the Milla, mainly because Gran Sorceror's are stupidly hard to find...

concussionman
Sep 1, 2007, 03:16 PM
In Doc's Secret Plan there is 9 Gran Sorcerors and the quest is short so it is easy to do lots of runs very quickly.

Arcyon
Sep 1, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ha ha, I've just found out I made a mistake... the drop rate for the Guld isn't 1/60000 like I thought, it's 1/20000 (they're just rough numbers, I can't be bothered with accuracy).
It's still stupidly hard, but it's easier than what I thought it would be.
I'll have to set up a routine; something like 2 runs of SoaB, then two runs of DSP... this is going to take a long, long time =]
But as a positive side note, I just levelled up to 142, so I guess it does have a positive half to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for all your help, concussionman. I might post in here a few times to update progress. Not that anyone would be interested anyway.. =]

DC_PLAYER
Sep 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
not anoying for me, even on version 2 the best weapons are the common ones, the rare ones in most cases can be beaten with the right % common rare

1/2 drop rate is 50%/50%, so theres 50% of chance of not getting the item.....you have bad luck so what.
i have found very rare items on ver.2, ok so i din't find any item with a drop rate superior to 1/12.000, but i have found rares from bosses with drop rates than beat the 1/1400 chance.....some of them more then once....
simply play the game, the rares apear when you least expect

Arcyon
Sep 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
It's alright, I'm sorry. It's just me being impatient =]
I just can't help but thinking 'Gib Guld Milla!', but it doesn't seem to be working.
I'll keep looking =]

D1ABOLIK
Sep 2, 2007, 12:57 AM
On 2007-09-01 12:00, Acronychal wrote:
A bit of a rant here, but not worth putting in the Rants forum beceause, well, I just don't think it's worth it =]
The PSO drop rate system: could it possibly be one of the most annoying factors of the gaming world? (okay, okay, only joking =])
Just now, whilst doing a Soul of a Blacksmith run, I had a stroke of luck; I saw both a Pal Rappy and a Hildetorr. But that was it. I was hoping for another change at a Red Partisan with hit% from the Pal Rappy, but instead it drops meseta (a 1/2 chance!). I was hoping for a Frozen Shooter with even more hit% from the Hildetorr, but it drops yet more meseta (again, a 1/2 chance!). And later on in a different run, a red box from a Whitill Tollaw (!). The words 'OMGWTFUX!!' were on my tongue, but, well, you can guess what happened ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif ).
Anyway, my point is: does anyone else think the drop rate system is highly annoying, not only because it forces you to keep on playing, but because all of your hard work and effort is usually in vain?
(I know, the 'forcing you to play' bit sounds a bit harsh, and it's still your decision, but if you really want something it's very annoying)

Dude have you played PSU.I would kill to have PSO drop rates in PSU.Now those drop rates SUCK.

________
Buy glass bong (http://glassbongs.org/)

Arcyon
Sep 2, 2007, 04:02 AM
Yeah, PSU's drop rates do suck. Not that there's anything worth getting on Offline mode anyway...
But, as a side note, Elenor (on DSP) keeps dying on me =[ Particularly in the last room. Maybe I should bring some Star Atomizers...

concussionman
Sep 2, 2007, 06:41 AM
Meh, don't waste money on an NPC. Just let her die when it happens. As long as you get the majority of the Gran Sorcerors its all good.

Ithildin
Sep 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
Answer to the origional thread question... It all depends on the mood I am in! Plus to me luck doesn't even exist, especially in a video game. I just find whatever you are actually looking for will feel like it aint dropping and whatever you aint looking for will drop. We all know that, its a psycological thing, much as video games can become addictive. I remember I really would not rest until god/battle dropped and I really annoyed my ex g/f in the process. A couple of weeks later I was doing a Forest run with my Redria FOnewearl and god/battle dropped again, when I wasn't even looking for it. It's all about chance, it just feels like an item won't drop because you are out looking. Hope that explains it a bit.

Arcyon
Sep 2, 2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean =]
But still, the hunt goes on!
If I don't get it, I'll probably give up and then hope it drops when I'm not looking for it... but that means I'm looking for it. Gahh! =]

myles_master
Sep 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
Yea, I know how it feels. The day's I was looking for a Red Partisan sucked. It took me 6-7 Pal Rappies before I even got one. Then, in the same run through of Fake in Yellow I found a second Pal Rappy (didn't pipe or anything for it) and it dropped another Red Partisan. It's crazy like that. Plus I'm hunting a Agito 1975 right now and it's taking forever. I'm using Viridia for the Tollaw's. My Whitill isn't quite a high enough level to get through the mission with Mil Lillies yet...

Ithildin
Sep 2, 2007, 10:10 AM
I would get your Whitill higher then! I think you have a better chance of a drop from a Mil... Anyone agree?

Arcyon
Sep 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
Theoretically, yes; the rate of getting a Mil Lily, and having it drop the Agito (combined) is 1/11264, which (compared to the Viridia Tollaw drop of 1/22808) is significantly less =]

Edit: And was that question at the end of your post supposed to be a rip-off of my topic title? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (only joking =])

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arcyon on 2007-09-02 11:23 ]</font>

Guitarsmasher
Sep 3, 2007, 04:06 PM
On 2007-09-01 12:44, Arcyon wrote:
I understand that, but sometimes it's just... annoying =]
Like, say you've been looking for something with a 12 star rarity for, say, 2 years - eventually you're going to get so bored that you stop playing, which doesn't really help PSO's popularity...
P.S. Please, someone tell me it's not going to take me 2 years to get the Milla... I hate to think what looking for the Guld is like... =S

someone gave me a milla for free yesterday. i think he was drunk lol

Arcyon
Sep 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
/wrist
[/emo]
If only, eh? =]

kevlar_pso
Sep 4, 2007, 01:09 AM
On 2007-09-01 12:00, Arcyon wrote:
The PSO drop rate system: could it possibly be one of the most annoying factors of the gaming world?

I know what you mean, I am on run #19 of Max Attack 1 to find a Pan Arms Arm. I know it is not the best of the dagger class, but I still want to find it. That coupled with the fact that there is no way I can play as much as I want to find it sooner. I also would like to get every S rank weapon on Xbox. I know I will be lucky if I can get 3 more.