PDA

View Full Version : a Little Gefore Overclocking Question

zelda_king3
Sep 2, 2007, 08:25 AM
Well my question is if i use Coolbits and how much can i overclock my Vid card EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 how much Core Clock& or Memory Clock can i Overclock it to Without a Alot of Temputure Diffrence

the Standered Clocks are

VRAM:256
Memory Clock:1400MHZ
Core Clock:540MHZ

How much can i increase?

Also is even my Vid Card Supported for Coolbits?

ZeroVer01
Sep 4, 2007, 12:43 PM
Eh... never used coolbits, only ntune, but anyway, overclocking depends entirely on your setup. Increase the clock speeds by 5-10 Mhz, and test for artifacting. You can also run a graphic intensive program, like 3dMark06 to test for temperatures and artifacting.

What is the temperature of your GPU atm?

Otis_Kat
Sep 4, 2007, 01:13 PM
Don't forget the ambient temperature of the room you're in. If you're in a really warm room you won't be able to do as much.

zelda_king3
Sep 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
ok im using nTune also the Average GPU Temp is 48*C

also they got the options of Course Tuning and Other options how much should i overclock if i can?

ZeroVer01
Sep 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
Eh... just go to the manual overclocking, and increase the core clock and memory clock by 5-10 MHz at a time. Then run something like 3dMark06 and test for artifacting. Once you see artifacting, lower the clock speed 10-15 MHz. As for temperature, once you have overclocked your card, just run psu or play some games for a few hours, and check to see what temperature your card is running at.

zelda_king3
Sep 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
ok ill try that once i get back from freinds house also what does artifacting mean again >_< sorry im losing my knoledge everyday from stupid skool

ZeroVer01
Sep 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
Artifacts are distorted lines or shapes that will appear on screen when you overclock the memory too high. Trust me, you will notice them.

You also have to watch for "snow" which is white dots that appear on screen when you overclock the core too high.

Both are very noticeable, and like I said, as soon as you see them, just back off 5-10 MHz at a time.