PDA

View Full Version : New PSO game

Fireball
Dec 28, 2002, 12:12 AM
I got pso for GAME BOY. it's very cool

mystic_knight
Dec 28, 2002, 12:55 AM
oh ya...well i just got PSO for my CD player =P. its sorta hard without a screen though...

Sedyne
Dec 28, 2002, 01:21 AM
I just got PSO for my Neo Geo Pocket !

>Notee to topic poster
You have PHANTSY STAR COLLECTION for GameBoy

NOT Phantsy Star Online

Igeryu
Dec 28, 2002, 09:39 AM
Phantasy Star Collection for GBA, yes it is a good game.

rena-ko
Dec 28, 2002, 06:19 PM
its even more:
its three good games!

(well, 2 and a half, imho)

but btw:
has anyone too this 'little' problem when phantasy star (the 1st one) should save, but then freezes before saving?
that happened sometimes and sometimes not - with akku and with batteries - maybe it has to do with the angle i hold my gba, who knows... well now i save pretty much after every battle-, buy-, sell-action...
funny thing is, this problem does not occur in phantasy star 2.

and a little side-note/question:
how the heck do you save in phantasy star 3?

whew, i'm done.
thank you all very much for your patience.
*bows* (_ _)

Guntz348
Dec 28, 2002, 06:22 PM
i got all those games for my master system, nomad, and genesis. and my emulator great games classics indeed but far from new. although the people that made this pso can learn a thing or two about story telling from em.

rena-ko
Dec 28, 2002, 06:31 PM
now i go waaaaaay off topic but: what exactly was a nomad?
other name for the game gear?
or...
wasnt there some sort of console by sega that was both megadrive and master system?
or...
am i totally wrong now?

mystic_knight
Dec 28, 2002, 07:46 PM
On 2002-12-28 15:19, rena-ko wrote:
and a little side-note/question:
how the heck do you save in phantasy star 3?

go and rest at an inn, the woman will ask if you if its ok to save the game.

Subliminalgroove
Dec 28, 2002, 07:51 PM
I also have a problem with PS1 not saving on the GBA. it only happens sometimes, but its annoying when it does....

Glad I'm not the only one with that problem.... well... not glad... just ... I don't know.... reassured I guess.

sonicblue
Dec 28, 2002, 08:03 PM
On 2002-12-28 15:31, rena-ko wrote:
what exactly was a nomad?The Nomad was a portable Sega Genesis.

Tavia
Dec 28, 2002, 08:07 PM
On 2002-12-28 15:31, rena-ko wrote:
wasnt there some sort of console by sega that was both megadrive and master system?

Sort of. The Sega Megadrive/Genesis, hardware-wise, was barely any different than the Sega Mark III/Master System. To capitalize upon the mediocre popularity of the Master System, Sega released the Power Base.

The Sega Power Base, when plugged into the cartridge port of the Sega Genesis, would let you play Master System cartridge or card games.

For the novelty, here's a picture:

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/remote-control/power-base-converter.jpg

Tavia
Dec 28, 2002, 08:11 PM
On 2002-12-28 06:39, Igeryu wrote:
Phantasy Star Collection for GBA, yes it is a good game.

Unfortunately, it has absolutely horrifying cover art. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Dec 28, 2002, 08:32 PM
Can't beat PSO for the Pocket PC 2002 premium edition.
http://users.adelphia.net/~snappurunyanko/temp/Picture 002.jpg
Why didn't I get a good digital camera for a present?

Cheech
Dec 28, 2002, 08:36 PM
Snapple, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

X-thirteen
Dec 28, 2002, 08:41 PM
On 2002-12-28 17:36, Cheech wrote:
Snapple, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

you are looking at pso for pc.

YamatoTakeru
Dec 28, 2002, 09:51 PM
About the comment for story telling, you do realize that Sonic Team made every Phantasy Star game ever released right? PSO has NOTHING to do with the original Phantasy Star series (except for having a few of the ol' villains here and there like Rappy and Dark Falz). If PSO were a true RPG that relied on story, it wouldn't be online.

Kayumi
Dec 28, 2002, 10:12 PM
I actually have something to add on the storytelling thing, too.

PSO still has quite excellent storytelling...part of the difference is that the older PS games had a set group of characters with a set background, whereas in PSO you're creating your OWN hero. That kinda negates the possibility of developing your character's personality through prefab dialogue and scenes and decisions.

PSO just uses a different, non-linear approach to the story. If you play through all the quests and talk to everyone, an awful lot of details about the plot come out...details supplemented by the messages from Rico and Flowen.

Before declaring that PSO's storytelling sucks, ask yourself if you're judging it by the right criteria. Of course it doesn't compare well to the older games if you want a purely linear, narrative style, but that's because it never TRIES to be a linear narrative. Thus, judging it as one is unfair.

YamatoTakeru
Dec 28, 2002, 10:27 PM
That's very much true. Some of the quests actually do alot to help the story, especially some of the Download ones from back in PSO and PSO Ver. 2.

Tavia
Dec 29, 2002, 05:39 AM
On 2002-12-28 18:51, YamatoTakeru wrote:
About the comment for story telling, you do realize that Sonic Team made every Phantasy Star game ever released right?

They didn't. I wish I could credit the whole PS series to SonicTeam, because they are my favorite developer group, but they did not make them all. Yuji Naka did program the original and most revolutionary "Phantasy Star", and fragments of people who later composed the SonicTeam did work on a PS game here and there. However, the team who developed the last PS games did not work on PSO... and that is why a fair share of PS fans do not consider PSO a true part of the series (not including me).

Where did the PS programmers go? They, accompanied by some of the developers of "Panzer Dragoon Saga", made "Skies of Arcadia".

Sega's development teams were chopped up a lot during the late Genesis/Saturn era. You know, I don't even know who programmed "Panzer Dragoon Orta", it's slipped my mind... but I really doubt they got the mish-mosh Team Andromeda back together for that.

rena-ko
Dec 29, 2002, 10:11 AM
wow, thank you everyone!

i think gamegear was the european name for the nomad, but then again, i could be wrong ^_^
it had enlighted colourdisplay and ate 4 R6/AA-Batteries in about 1,5 hours, wasnt it?

this hybrid console was a great idea imho, but well, sega never had that luck with hardware ^_^

about the saving-bug...
well, its really annoying - i thought it would be over (because i saved in ps2 once) and had a long streak exp-hunt and then wanted to save and ... 'blue screen' (yes really, when saving in town you get a nice bluescreen when it freezes ^-^;)
anyway, the game's fun also besides this - and good thing its limited to ps1 only. (i hope so at least)

(also since i imported i wont likely send it back and have it replaced... well...)

saving in ps3
thanks for the hint, i searched the booklet and there was nothing - only that you'd have only 2 savegames at once...

Atax
Dec 29, 2002, 10:37 AM
i think gamegear was the european name for the nomad, but then again, i could be wrong ^_^
it had enlighted colourdisplay and ate 4 R6/AA-Batteries in about 1,5 hours, wasnt it?

The nomad was a portal MegaDrive w/a built in screen, where as the GameGear is a portable Master System with a built in screen.

The Gamegear's screen is a power hungry CRT and not a power saving LCD, which explains the huge battery consumption.

rena-ko
Dec 29, 2002, 10:51 AM
i see... the nomad then never officially made it to europe i guess... hm...

CaptainSean
Dec 29, 2002, 02:37 PM
The only Phantasy Star game I played before PSO was Phantasy Star IV, I think...

It was really neat and I think my first RPG, but that had to have been a million years ago.

rena-ko
Jan 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
if anyone cares - i think i solved the saving-problem just today: it had indeed something to do with the angle i hold the gba - when its almost (or complete) lying on its back it has no problem with saving, however, i cannot reproduce the save-bug i just can avoid it this way ^_^

edit... well... doesnt work 100%... -_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-01-25 11:25 ]</font>

Webapprentice
Jan 25, 2003, 11:36 AM
On 2002-12-28 17:32, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:

Whoa! Did you pipe the video output of PSO to the Pocket PC?! You need a better digital camera. I think I see the HP/TP bar.

Webapprentice
Jan 25, 2003, 11:39 AM
On 2003-01-25 08:36, Webapprentice wrote:

On 2002-12-28 17:32, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:

That's PSO for PC? It runs on that unit?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jan 25, 2003, 11:46 AM
...I was running terminal server client, then disconnected from the network to take a crummy picture =>_<=;;;

Para
Jan 25, 2003, 03:07 PM
so that isnt pso for pc http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

TheWiLL
Jan 27, 2003, 03:49 PM
PSO Card Battle for the GBA is gonna own. Involves the e-reader from what I heard.