PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle vs. Car ?

Genoa
Sep 6, 2007, 04:20 AM
So I don't own a vehicle yet, but I've somewhat had my eyes on a 2007 Honda Nighthawk.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/cruiser_standard/model.asp?ModelName=Nighthawk&ModelYear=2007&ModelId=CB2507

Now there's gotta be motorcyclists somewhere here in psow, can anyone tell me if it's more cost-efficient than a car?
19-year old, newly licensed. Insurance will be high for ANY vehicle, but especially a bike. BUT, do you think that the overall cost is worth it? The bike's MSRP is $3,599.00. The cost of gas would be nothing compared to other vehicles. It would be used for commuting more than anything, I don't race or speed, I'm quite the defensive driver actually. I'm not car-pooling or bringing equipment to work, so it's not like I would NEED a car. This is primarily for transportation basically.

So what do you think?

panzer_unit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hell yes a motorbike is more cost-efficient than a car and won't leave you out on the ability to have fun getting around, especially compared to most budget cars.

Weeaboolits
Sep 6, 2007, 09:54 AM
I want one of these:

http://www.vespacharlotte.com/images/vespa_red.gif

Why do people insist on making these images have transparency, though? Oh, well.

amtalx
Sep 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
Just keep in mind that you are subject to all weather conditions. If its hot outside, so are you, and if its wet outside...guess what? Hope you brought your poncho.

panzer_unit
Sep 6, 2007, 10:20 AM
... you would think that's pretty obvious, although motorbikes don't have the disadvantage of heating up to a billion degrees on the inside like cars do when left out on a hot day with the windows up.

Dangerous55
Sep 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
I'd get the car. If you plan to have either for awhile your needs will probably change. The car is alot more useful. My advice? Try and get both. If you have the cash to buy that bike then buying a used car and bike that will run won't be hard. Just look for a small car, like a Neon or Camry.

Nai_Calus
Sep 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
Bikes are nice, but if it rains you're kind of boned on getting to work on time. They also have no gas gauge for the most part(And if it does have one, ignore it, following that is a great way to run out of gas).

You say you don't need storage space, but are you out on your own yet, or will you be soon? Once you are, you will soon need storage space in your vehicle for things like groceries. If you want to go on an extended trip by yourself, you'll need a car for luggage. You can't rent one at your age, so you can't depend on that idea.

Depending on your state, you might also need a special license to drive a motorcycle, and depending on your state, getting a new license can be a pain in the ass and leave you without a valid photo ID. (North Carolina, where I used to live, gave your your new ID/permit/license that same day right there. California mails it to you, which takes several weeks. I LOLed when I mentioned how annoying that was and the guy made some snide insulting remark about 'better security' in California. Funny, I didn't even have to prove to you that I even live here. I just gave you my birth certificate and my NC license... NC wanted my birth certificate, social security card AND proof of residence. You know, to make sure that I actually live in the damned state.)

Get a car, seriously, though. All-weather, you'll be able to bring home your groceries and shit, and it's possible to get good mileage in a car without getting an expensive fucking hybrid.

Get a stick. Whatever else you get in a car, get a stick. I have a stick-shift, and I love it. None of the mushiness you get from automatics while they try to figure out what gear to use while accelerating uphill. My stick gets on a freeway much better than my dad's automatic(This can be a safety 'feature' depending on what the freeways are like where you live. XP). They get better mileage than automatics, too, besides having more control.

Get a small car. 4-cylinder. No, it has no fucking power, you won't be doing 120 in it, but you said you don't speed or do any of that stuff. That's why you get a small car. I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent. Honda makes motorcycles with bigger engines than my car(Gold Wings, to be fair, damn near ARE cars, my dad used to own one, they just have two wheels and no roof), FFS. But it does well, because it's small. My dad has a larger automatic-shift Saturn with a 4-cylinder that's a bit bigger than mine, and dad's car performs worse and gets worse mileage. Bigger car. More to move. Mine just zips along.

So. Car now. Build some credit with it. Then later, when you have more money, better credit and know more of what you want in a vehicle, get a motorcycle then.

Blitzkommando
Sep 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
Florida is not the state to get a motorcycle as a primary mode of transportation. Ever. Just like it would be in western Washington state or Oregon. It just gets too damn hot, you'll absolutely hate the love bug season, and afternoon showers can ruin your nice happy day. Plus, large metro areas can be absolutely insane to ride a bike. Other drivers will see your bike and instantly have the idea that you can be pushed around, if not off the road. The larger the metro area, the more aggressive the drivers get. It's simply a matter of survival and motorcycles are only ahead of pedestrians and non-motorized bicycles. I drive a medium-sized truck (1995 Dodge Dakota) and I can't count the number of times people in little coupes have pulled shit on me, and that's with me being three times as big as they are. I can't imagine trying to ride a bike in cities or on highways with morons like that on the roads.

Like others said, get a car. I too thought about a bike, then I started actually driving downtown every day. This country simply isn't designed for such small vehicles as primary transportation. But, I still think about getting one eventually as just a fun secondary vehicle, preferably to ride outside of the city and just enjoy the countryside. Free bird and all that.

panzer_unit
Sep 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
I actually RIDE a bike and that stuff isn't as big a problem as you'd think... particularly if it's a short commute. A good jacket and rain pants and getting pissed on isn't a big problem. Or, riding anywhere you've got a dry change of clothes and a bathroom you can get as wet as you want (hint: stash a change at work)

motorbikes OWN city traffic, in my experience. the tighter things are the smaller a vehicle I want to be in, so I don't have to make judgement calls when squeezing into spots etc. Meanwhile ANY bike has the acceleration, braking, and handling capabilities to get itself out of trouble. It's all a question of having the awareness and driving habits so you can get used to it. There's also less to distract you. No garbage, no cup holders, need 2 hands to drive all the time.

Genoa
Sep 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah I also thought driving a bike would be INCREDIBLY more beneficial to road awareness. NO distractions, no blind spots, nobody in the passenger seats distracting you, no cell phone, no eating/drinking, looking at yourself in the mirror, listening to music.

You feel the ride, enjoying it while staying in control at all times, having more mobility and acceleration than other vehicles, and relying more on YOURSELF than the vehicle to maneuver.

But I will probably get a car in the future.... but if I got married I don't think I'd need a car of my own anymore. I could just commute with the bike, and she could get groceries or what not.... or we could go together when I'm available?

I just thought having a bike while still at home would be pretty easy on me. I mean I wasn't thinking of "BIKE ONLY, CAR FOR WUSSIE" <_>