PDA

View Full Version : Two Worlds...

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
...is garbage. I rented it last night and started playing it for 360. It's like a very poorly design Oblivion with bunch of stuff taken out, less customizable, poorly programed, and really just shytty looking over all...

I was thinking about buying it...glad I rented it first.

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2007, 03:02 PM
I bought it and enjoying it quite abit. The first hour is rough, but I'm now lvl 25 and having a blast; and still in the north of the world. There's still 3/4ths of the world to explore.

Oh well, not your cup of tea. For me, if they get the multiplayer going properly I'll be playing that alot more often aswell.

All the reviews and opinions I've seen of it, are from people who expected the next Oblivion. Their loss. =]

omegapirate2k
Sep 6, 2007, 03:06 PM
On 2007-09-06 13:02, ABDUR101 wrote:
I bought it and enjoying it quite abit. The first hour is rough, but I'm now lvl 25 and having a blast; and still in the north of the world. There's still 3/4ths of the world to explore.

That's what I've heard about it, sort of crappy at the start and it gets better as you play on.

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
Well lets see... It freezes/skips in areas. The display is really badly laid out and the "help" menu covers the friggin menu it's supposed to help you on. The character creation is really bad. The animations are ugly. It's just really ugly, plays badly, programmed badly, and various other stuff that make it just a horrible game that doesn't inspire you to play on. I didn't expect it to be the next Oblivion. I'm comparing it to oblivion because it is modeled after Oblivion obviously and it's such a step back from Oblivion...Hell i'd say it's a step back from Morrowind

DikkyRay
Sep 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
Well, your computer is probably just bad then ^.^

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2007, 03:34 PM
It started out as a PC game and got a port to the 360, what do you expect?

But, since you'd like to compare it to Oblivion:
Out of all the hours I've put into it, my game has only froze twice. Aswell, Oblivion froze and skipped much more often for me, even after alot of patching.

The "help" menu only covers up the menu system if you're not using hi-def and widescreen, and even then you can press the "Back" button to bring the help menu down. If you're playing in standard definition, the little "Press Back for more information" at the bottom of the screen will partially cover up your weight/max weight limit. Again, it was designed as a PC game, with which you would mouse-over everything if you needed to do something.

Character creation; not the best, but you're playing a set storyline. You're not meant to create a character of any race or gender, you're a male bounty hunter looking for his sister.

The animations are what they are, I've seen far worse. However, I tend to look past something like that when I'm playing a mass hack and slash game(ala Dynasty Warriors/Diablo where you don't so much care what your character looks like when he stabs something, but that he's stabbing something as much as possible so he can stab the next thing as much as possible).

It's not modeled after Oblivion, it's a friggen fantasy rpg, Oblivion wasn't the first open-world fantasy rpg, nor was Morrowind. Though if you took the time to see the finer points in the game, you'd take notice that every tree and npc in the game has their own real time shadow, if you look at the shadow of a tree or bush waving in the wind, you can see individual leaves moving aswell. Every creature also has real time lighting and shadows occuring on them too.

So far, everyone who plays it and gives up before the first hour weren't concerned about the character growth or even the game itself; they were turned off by the graphics and started to nit-pick before they even got to the meat and potatoes of the game. The game has it's flaws, as did Oblivion and Morrowind and pretty much every game at release, but I haven't had this much fun with a dungeon crawling/open world RPG, killing and finding weapons/armor/equipment to stack/boost and so on since I played Diablo 2. And honestly, the story to this game takes a back seat to the sheer fun of exploration.

Again, must not be your cup of tea, but the first time I got up on a ridge, and looked out over the last and saw a city that on my map was the whole way across to the east, when I was far to the west, and then I looked north and saw the glacier I had explored, saw the river running south and snaking from the glacier, looking and following it down as it splits and then meets the ocean all while seeing tree covered hills and mountains, hell yeah. My kind of game by far.

Not to mention the real physics engine incorporated into the game; nothing is as fun as hitting three orc warriors with your halberd, and having one of them die and get flipped through the air; or playing multiplayer and having NPCMook shoot one down with a bow JUST as you're rushing up on it to strike, as the headshot causes it to do a flip and then crumple to the ground. =]

Midicronica
Sep 6, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'll admit that when I first put in this game I was a a little taken aback by the character model I was presented with (and that fucking song!) and when I actually started playing the game I was really disgusted and just thought about taking the game out of my Xbox and sending it back to GameFly that very instant, but I decided to give it a chance and continued to play hoping that it would get better. Soon after I got my character to around lvl 20 or so and had a few skills and quest under my belt, the game started to really pick up. I started getting into the back story a bit more wanted to know more about what was going to happening around me and what consequences I would face if I decided to kill this guy or spare him.

To get the point, just give it a chance. =/

Just a few console commands that will work on 360 and will make the framerate a little better at the cost of the game losing a bit of it's graphical pazazz.

To make the console command menu come up, press and hold LB, RB, X, A. It will bring up the dashboard chatpad. Or if you have a keyboard (like me) you can press B and just enter them in on the game itself.

The commands are

Engine.GrassQ 0 - Turns off all the extra grass and shrubbery.

Engine.Shadow 0 - Turns off the shadows.

Engine.WaterRef 0 - Turns off water reflections.

I use these two console commands every time I play Two Worlds. The improvement is slight, but every bit helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Midicronica on 2007-09-06 13:53 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
The game runs alot better in 480p, and if you set it to standard and not widescreen, the UI text is much easier to read. Thats what happens when you have a dev who ports from PC, the higher res looks nice, but they did'nt scale the text to be larger to compensate. Not sure if thats patchable or not, but not a big deal really.

-Crokar-
Sep 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
i got it to play online as soon as they fix that ill be happy. i still play it with like 2 other people but its bad.

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 04:15 PM
dude... open the map... the game skips on the map! That is horrible design. I really don't care about story when I have to deal with stuttering and freezing from the very moment I turn on the game. I don't care whether it's designed for PC or 360 originally the default should be able to run near perfectly on the system when the system you are designing for isn't changing.

Thats one of the thing that I don't like about 360 none of it is ever optimized for any of the various settings they just assume 1 setting and to hell with everyone else. It is not hard to make a game that rectifies text to monitor type.

All this screams at me lazy dev team from the very beginning...

But you are right I don't like oblionesque type games too much because they never get it quite right and always something about the graphics bothers me enough to just not play the game...I stopped playing morrowwind cuz i couldn't stand the walking animation because it looked disjointed from the ground and after stareing at it for a number hours it jkust annoyed me.

The story, from what I see is quite cliched...and bad

ABDUR101
Sep 6, 2007, 04:20 PM
Good thing you only rented it then. =]

-Crokar-
Sep 7, 2007, 01:07 AM
once you hit the 20's and you have necro power the game is too easy

Blue-Hawk
Sep 7, 2007, 05:44 AM
I was going to try the demo. Installed it, launched it and......... Error. For some extremely STUPID reason, it wouldn't let me play it without an Aegis physics card. Even forced me to install drivers for it. I don't even HAVE, nor will I waste my limited cash on, one of those cards. Poor and shoddy design, indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft's American branch had a hand in releasing it. They screwed up virtually EVERY pc game they released, and then stop supporting them 6 months after release.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-09-07 03:45 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Sep 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
You have to install the phys-ex software for the engine they use, you don't need that specific kind of card. I played it on the comp with an ATI x800.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 7, 2007, 11:08 AM
On 2007-09-07 07:44, ABDUR101 wrote:
You have to install the phys-ex software for the engine they use, you don't need that specific kind of card. I played it on the comp with an ATI x800.

I have an X-1650. Maybe the demo was flawed, but it told me that I had to have the Phys-ex card in order to play it.