PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC: GameGuard error

Skye-Fox713
Sep 7, 2007, 01:27 AM
Ok so, so far PSU has run just fine on my computer up untill a day or so ago when it showed me this message after i had noticed that gameguard failed to launch.

here is a pic of the error that came up
for those of you who can't see the image the error says: GameGuard error. Please send us an e-mail, attaching the *.erl file found in the GameGuard folder.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Ghost713/gameguard_errorcopy.jpg

when that happened i un-installed and then reinstalled psu. When i did that gameguard came up as normal, but when i exited out of psu a couple of times after downloading the patches and such and i was able to play just fine. the same thing happened gameguard failed to launch and the same error came up.

I have already tried contacting the official site about the error and describe it to them, but this is what they responded with.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Support.

The GameGuard service that we use on this game is used by various game companies in order to prevent online cheating in our games. If you experience an error in which the error message is filled with squares, or if the message mentions GameGuard specifically, you may wish to shut down any unnecessary background tasks that you may have running at the same time. In order to shut down your background tasks, please perform the following steps.

For Windows XP:

1) Press the CTRL-ALT-Delete keys just once at the same time.
2) Click on the 'Task Manager'
3) Click on the 'Applications' tab
4) Highlight the programs listed in the tab and click on the 'End Task' button to close them.
5) Once all the programs in the 'Applications' tab have been closed, click on the 'Processes' tab.
6) Click on the 'User Name' text box to sort the processes by user.
7) Highlight all of the programs listed next to your windows login and select 'End Task'. The only programs that should be left alone with your name next to them would be 'Explorer.exe'and 'TaskMgr.exe', since they are required for Windows to run.
8 ) All other processes that run under 'System', 'Local Service' and 'Network Service' should be left alone. Do not end these specific tasks.

Check to see if the game plays without any background tasks running. If it does, than you can be assured that the game was having an issue with one of those processes. Since all system configurations and programs are different, it may take some time to figure out which tasks will, or will not interfere with the program, but this is the best way to figure out if the game is having a conflict with one of the background tasks that is running concurrently with the game.

If this does not help the game perform any better, then another suggestion would be to double check the ports that this game uses with your internet connection. Please check the following workarounds before replying to this email.

TCP Port Range
Please make sure your computer is configured properly with the correct TCP ports forwarded within your Firewall. TCP ports 11000-11099 and TCP ports 12000-12099 should be forwarded when using any item that could restrict your accessibility to the internet.

Manually Allow Phantasy Star Universe
Some virus applications may place blocks against the Phantasy Star Universe program. If you have a virus program, or other internet monitoring program, please check the application carefully for any blocks and manually allow Phantasy Star Universe access. If you are unsure of how to perform this action within your specific Virus Application, please consult the Program vendor for more information.

If the above suggestions do not help you, please reply to this email with updated information. Please be sure to include the full text of each response so we can better assist you in solving your problem.

Thank you,

SEGA Support

=====================================
Thursday, September 6, 2007, 10:44 am [EST]

PSU FORM: REQUEST
name = Joe Muffly
email = [email protected]
gameid or gametag = . JOE
platform = PC
-------------------------------------
error message = GameGuard error. Please send us an e-mail, attaching the *.erl file found in the GameGuard folder
-------------------------------------

description =
When i tried to launch PSU's network mode almost immediately this error message came up.

"GameGuard error. Please send us an e-mail, attaching the *.erl file found in the GameGuard folder"

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but should I send an email to the official gameguard web site and see what they have to say.

-----------
frog62
-----------------------------------------------------------------

What would be the best solution for me on how to fix this problem.

Skye_Fox713

DrEngrish
Sep 7, 2007, 02:08 PM
I have had the same problem. I did a system restore once which temporarily fixed it, but now the errror is back again. I'm not even sure what caused it in the first place. >...<

Background programs? Thats total crap and Sega knows it... I've tried to launch PSU running nothing in the background and got that same error to pop up.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 8, 2007, 12:45 AM
just on question, i just need a brief description on how to do a system restore