PDA

View Full Version : A note about AVG and GameGuard errors....

Sinue_v2
Sep 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
I've seen a lot of threads where people's GameGuard files are getting flagged as viruses and they are resorting to either system restores or reinstalling the game. You don't have to do either. Upon getting the error message from GameGuard, open up your AVG control panel and go to your Virus Vault. Find the files pertaining to GameGuard (hopefully your virus vault is pretty clean and they're easy to find), and then right click on the GameGuard.des file and chose to restore it.

That's all you need to do.

Otis_Kat
Sep 8, 2007, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately their AVG might have auto-healed the file, meaning it was deleted like mine was.

DrEngrish
Sep 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
Are everyones gameguard files unique from computer to computer or are they the same for everyone? Because if they are the same, maybe it would help if someone posted a download link with their files to replace others missing ones? Y'think that would work?

Alamar
Sep 12, 2007, 12:31 AM
mine has auto clean i can not restore it. wonder if avg will put a patch out and how long to wait

Sinue_v2
Sep 12, 2007, 07:37 AM
I doubt AVG will release a patch to ignore GameGuard. More than likely it will be GameGuard who will have to notice the problem and remedy it. Grisoft doesn't generally make exceptions for a minority in the marketplace when it comes to security vulnerabilities.

As for your Virus Scanner having an auto-clean function... I tend to shy away from that. I like to know where the Virus's are coming from/Spreading from, so that I can avoid sketchy sites in the future. The Virus Vault quanteines the virus's, so there's no danger of further infection. Having manual cleaning enabled is a very helpful resource.

Otis_Kat
Sep 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
Should I be concerned C:System Volume Information_restore{920C765F-WHATEVER.des is coming up as a virus, the same kind the Game Guard "virus" came up as. I only started getting this after the GG issue, when my computer wasn't even on for two weeks.

Sinue_v2
Sep 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
No, it's just a copy of the GameGuard file that backed up and used when you do a system restore. Since that file in GameGuard got flagged as a virus, the restore information of it is probably getting flagged for the same reason.

Otis_Kat
Sep 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks, just making sure. Also AVG doesn't flag GameGuard.des as a virus anymore.

Saffran
Sep 16, 2007, 02:05 PM
alternatively, if you have the DL version of Ep4, just delete the content of your gameguard folder.
If you have the Package version of the game, you will need to uninstall it and dl the game again.