PDA

View Full Version : Robotech, Staring Spiderman?

Turambar
Sep 11, 2007, 12:16 AM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=43915

Spidey's Maguire Dons Robotech

Spider-Man star Tobey Maguire will produce and may star in a film based on the classic SF anime Robotech, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Warner Brothers Pictures picked up the rights to Robotech, which features giant robots known as mechas. Maguire is producing through his Maguire Entertainment banner and is eyeing the lead role in what the studio plans as an SF franchise a la Paramount's hit Transformers.

Drew Crevello also is producing through his Supercool Hollywood BigTime Productions. Craig Zahler has been tapped to write the screenplay.

Robotech was a cartoon series during the 1980s from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

Robotech takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source, known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

I really don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, its Robotech. Its more than sacred for viewers old enough to remember it, anime fan and non-anime fan alike. It and its JP counterpart Macross was IMO, more responsible for popularizing the Mecha and Space Opera genres than Gundam and Captain Harlock. Its about time it gets a renewal in recognition, especially after Macross had its Macross Zero remake. And yet, the potential for a huge train wreck, or barring that, a Transformers quality movie that leaves you not too satisfied scares me.

EphekZ
Sep 11, 2007, 08:38 PM
FUCK! why him? He is the worst actor ever. I could barely stand watching spider man with that idiot in it.

SubstanceD
Sep 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

I don't think a Robotech live action movie will work. There's just too much story to fit into a 2 hour movie ( and that's working under the assumption that Hollywood don't butcher it ).

As for the news about Tobey Maguire staring in it, the only character he can concievably play is Max Sterling ( and even then I can think of much better casting choices ).

KaffeKane
Sep 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Dear God, NO! *wants with a burning passion to shoot either Tobey Maguire or himself* Why does that idiot have to desecrate Robotech?!

Nearly everything that was once animated when turned live-action is a disgusting waste of an hour and a half of fans' time, and they'll more than likely say "I want my 8.50 back for that! The snacks were good, though..." >_>

It's bad enough that Tobey Maguire ruined Spiderman. I used to enjoy the cartoon series, and now every time I see Spiderman anywhere, I am repulsed because I remember that...that...oh, where's a Vipric when I need one! The whole thing involving the live-acted Spiderman movies was ruined for me with the "Spiderman goes emo" track that the second movie took. I couldn't bring myself to watch the live-acted movies, not even the first one, any longer.

Don't even make me rush against the other live-acted movies that once were from comics and cartoons, because I have more love for my roots than I would want to bother gouging them out and killing the kind of person who I am just by watching those damn movies.

Screw Robotech as a live-action film. If I see any other celebrities or studios attempting to rehash the good-ol'-days into something that isn't really worth watching, I'll want to march down into Hollywood and protest for some FUCKING ORIGINALITY!!! Whatever happened to that, huh?!

I'd rant more about it, except it could be taken as being a fanboy, soo...I'm done for now. *Shim mode level 1 off*

ShadowDragon28
Sep 12, 2007, 09:17 PM
This news makes me want cry.. almost.
I feel a little bit of my inner-child dieing. T_T

KaffeKane
Sep 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
On 2007-09-12 19:17, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
This news makes me want cry.. almost.
I feel a little bit of my inner-child dieing. T_T

I know, yah? Seriously, Hollywood needs to stop trying to polish the gems that already shine, because all they're going to do is wear them into scratched pebbles.

Fleur-de-Lis
Sep 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
Nothing against Tobey...but...I have no hope for this movie.

Puppet_Papaya
Sep 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'll see it, 'cause I like Robotech. Transformers was good, so why can't this be?

Maverynthia
Sep 13, 2007, 05:11 PM
Robotech, with guest stars....the Zentraedi...oh and uhm mecha...
I'll be a movie about Minmay's singing career and how emo she got over Rick or her cousin/brother guy....

Turambar
Sep 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
I personally don't have problems with Toby directing. But I just wish Hollywood would realize fans are far more receptive to an extension that can be considered Canon, and not just an underwhelming remake, much like most Marvel and DC movies have been lately. And here's to hopping its going to be animated, not live action.

KaffeKane
Sep 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
Just wait. If more news comes around about it, it'll probably be about Robotech as a live-acted movie.

The only role I see Tobey Maguire deserving anywhere (not just in Hollywood) is...*shudder*...Ethan Waber. The resemblance between them sometimes is scary. But then, Ethan might actually not sound as bad as he does if it were Tobey behind the VA. <_<