PDA

View Full Version : Zeitgeist Movie

Rainbowlemon
Sep 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
Just thought I'd post this up here - http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

A lot of controversial stuff about religion, 9/11, the Bush administration and...where it's all going. Found it very scary at some points. If you've watched Fahrenheit 9/11 and liked it, you'll definitely love this film.

It's free for all to watch, and very entertaining and enlightening, so please do yourselves a favour and watch it if you haven't already. =)

KaffeKane
Sep 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
I have this faved for later viewing, but I haven't got to it yet.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 12, 2007, 01:45 AM
While part 1 is all stuff that I already knew it's too bad part 2 and 3 is full of stupidity and untruths.

Sinue_v2
Sep 12, 2007, 07:15 AM
Part One is highly inaccurate. I haven't looked into the rest of the claims made by Part 2 or 3, but if the trend continues, then the whole movie is a bust.

For example, in Egyptian mythology, Horus wasn't born of the virgin Isis. Rather, Seth had killed Osirus and desicrated his body, scattering parts of it across the world. Osirus found these pieces and bound them together (Horus was the first mummy). However, she could not find his penis, and so crafted a solid gold phallic for him. He was returned to Osirus for one day, in which they concieved Horus. Although, that is only one legend, and in other tellings of the tale, she completed him fully. So, no, Isis was not a virgin when she gave birth to Horus. That throws the whole link with worship of Jesus as a sun deity into question.

Zeitgeist is an interesting yarn, but like most conspiracy theorys, that's all it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-12 05:16 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Sep 13, 2007, 06:40 AM
On 2007-09-12 05:15, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Part One is highly inaccurate. I haven't looked into the rest of the claims made by Part 2 or 3, but if the trend continues, then the whole movie is a bust.

For example, in Egyptian mythology, Horus wasn't born of the virgin Isis. Rather, Seth had killed Osirus and desicrated his body, scattering parts of it across the world. Osirus found these pieces and bound them together (Horus was the first mummy). However, she could not find his penis, and so crafted a solid gold phallic for him. He was returned to Osirus for one day, in which they concieved Horus. Although, that is only one legend, and in other tellings of the tale, she completed him fully. So, no, Isis was not a virgin when she gave birth to Horus. That throws the whole link with worship of Jesus as a sun deity into question.

Zeitgeist is an interesting yarn, but like most conspiracy theorys, that's all it is.

If you saw, there was a MASSIVE list of links between Horus and Jesus. You seem to be using one misinterpretation to dismiss the hundreds of other flaws in religion this film points out.

I appreciate that many religious people will automatically disbelieve anything that sheds doubt on their ideals, but from my personal opinion, there are far too many 'coincidental links' between all the religions for them to be taken seriously.

However, my view is skewed as a hard-set atheist - I believe that if you're too blind sighted to acknowledge the existence of evolution, and dismiss the myriad of ideas that this film provides...you're a fool.

Then again, there are so many people that believe in god...they can't be wrong can they?

Yes. Yes they can. But of course, I didn't make this post to argue my standpoint on religion. So, anyone else that decides to read this post, even if you don't believe some bits of the film...watch through it anyway.

Sinue_v2
Sep 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
If you saw, there was a MASSIVE list of links between Horus and Jesus. You seem to be using one misinterpretation to dismiss the hundreds of other flaws in religion this film points out.

Actually, I looked up several different sources online about that facet of Egyptian mythology. Indeed, the idea that Isis was a virgin is actually in the minority, from what I can tell. How many of those sources have you really looked into personally? I mean, I could make a convincing film and fill a list like that full of books written by authors like Zachariah Sitchin and Immuanuel Velikovsky, but that wouldn't make it true that we are descended from the Annunaki or that insects originally evolved on Mars.

I appreciate that many religious people will automatically disbelieve anything that sheds doubt on their ideals,

You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm Agnostic, which means my beliefs are perpetually in doubt to begin with. The only thing I'm certain of, is that there is a god. Beyond that, I make no definitive stances on the matter.

I didn't make this post to argue my standpoint on religion.

Nor did I post my original response as a defense of my personal beliefs. I simply pointed out one of the many fallacies of the film. No more, no less. It was you, after all, who brought personal beliefs into discussion.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 13, 2007, 11:16 AM
You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm Agnostic, which means my beliefs are perpetually in doubt to begin with. The only thing I'm certain of, is that there is a god. Beyond that, I make no definitive stances on the matter.

You wouldn't be Agnostic then. Deism/Theism would be more set for you.

ShadowDragon28
Sep 14, 2007, 03:29 AM
While there are a few minor flaws such as Isis being a "virgin"; the point being expressed was that *alot* of the symbolism and archetypes was most likely "borrowed" from
pre-Abrahamic sources.

I learned of and knew of such striking similarities and parallel elements long before "Zeitgeist".