PDA

View Full Version : College Prof.? who's fault is it again..??

Anubis_
Sep 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
To put in short.. I went to an animation college that for the graduating class. The school rents out a movie theater and shows the thesis of the graduating class for their parents the teachers and anyone else who would come..

(Your thesis at this Animation college is your final animation, a culmination of all your abilities if you will)

The showing was.. like.. idk.. "baby birds crapping in my mouth bad.." so i heard.. at least thats a quote from my friend. I was't there.. I dont attend the school anymore for financial reasons..

The school is real small and has only a few proffesors. It goes witout saying the size of the school directly effects the quality of the students it puts out... But the head honcho of animation was like..

"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, YOU ALL DESERVE TO FAIL"

thats not what he said out loud during the showing, but he said that to the students before hand..

So I'm like.. is it the students fault that the work came out subpar or it the proffessors???

Turambar
Sep 13, 2007, 10:36 AM
How did the professor's other students do? If he was the only one to present crap, its his problem. If everyone is failing, that'll raise a few more questions.

ABDUR101
Sep 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
The Professor was referring to all of them. But, it's really something that can't be judged by ONE group, now if the next set of students fail miserably, I think it's safe to say that it's not the students.

I think the quality of ones work is dictated by the 'bar' set by those who teach and are around. Aswell, if the professor isn't exactly putting whats to be learnt across in the right way, some people might just be unable to grasp whats being tought because of poor teaching methods. There's always going to be people who just don't give their attention to learning and will do the bare minimum to get by, but I think when the majority of students are failing; not all the blame can be put on the group; the teacher is as much to blame if the entire class fails as the students are.(but really, thats a case by case basis, depends entirely on the attitudes of the teacher and the students, efforts on both parts, how well the professor tought, etc)

KaffeKane
Sep 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
On 2007-09-13 09:04, ABDUR101 wrote:
The Professor was referring to all of them. But, it's really something that can't be judged by ONE group, now if the next set of students fail miserably, I think it's safe to say that it's not the students.

I think the quality of ones work is dictated by the 'bar' set by those who teach and are around. Aswell, if the professor isn't exactly putting whats to be learnt across in the right way, some people might just be unable to grasp whats being tought because of poor teaching methods. There's always going to be people who just don't give their attention to learning and will do the bare minimum to get by, but I think when the majority of students are failing; not all the blame can be put on the group; the teacher is as much to blame if the entire class fails as the students are.(but really, thats a case by case basis, depends entirely on the attitudes of the teacher and the students, efforts on both parts, how well the professor tought, etc)

And that folks, is why I hated high school (and even school in general), and why I will never go to college. The incompetence of American education; it's like you're better off studying things on your own, because the teachers can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground, and they think that it's the students fault?

No, check your own damn self for how fucking smart you are, Mister "I gots mah doctorate in being an troll to younger peoplez and cause all massive lulz with that I know nothing like they do", because that's all that they're doing.

My view on America's system of education has effectively fallen to "Whoever is the biggest bully, has the most money, is the most bottom of the barrel retarded, gets the best grade."

I see it in books and magazines, and I can't help but weep at the arrogance that these teachers have simply because they think they're in charge of a class. Again, they aren't doing SQUAT. I'm angry, really angry, at how subpar this nation's becoming, section by section being diseased progressively with stupid.

I don't care if I'm flaming in this post, cause I'm not hating on anyone here. I'm hating on something that deserves to be hated, and that's the way that things are run in this godforsaken country and godforsaken planet, even.

Solstis
Sep 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
I was thinking about getting my Master's in Education. Thanks a lot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Your post is cute, though. You blame the teachers for the system, but, uh, teacher's don't make the system. Legislators do. Teachers just have to deal with it.

But, yeah, the professor apparently wasn't paying attention to the students, or didn't teach them well. Sounds like a total jerk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-09-13 16:49 ]</font>

Maverynthia
Sep 13, 2007, 06:59 PM
It's actually the fault of both, however more so the students. There are those professor's out there that would saw off their right arm for you. However, I see a lot of students that just are like "whatever..." with their projects. So, the onus on the student to succeed, find the help they need, even if the professor is crappy.

ABDUR101
Sep 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-09-13 16:59, Maverynthia wrote:
So, the onus on the student to succeed, find the help they need, even if the professor is crappy.

If I were paying for a college course, and the professor is shit; not able to answer any questions I have, not offering suitable support or fulfilling the role of 'teacher/professor', I'm pretty sure I'd be demanding restitutions for it.

I do agree that alot of students have an 'oh well, whatever' mentallity, they'll do enough just to get by; but that mentallity doesn't stop at school, people go their entire lives with that mentallity, including teachers.

I personally don't care, I've been out of school for quite some time; but even in my line of work there are doctors that will do 'just enough' to get by with their patients; more or less to keep things legal and themselves out of court for malpractice.

It's just the way of things; there are under-achievers and there are true achievers.(and everything inbetween)

Niered
Sep 13, 2007, 08:17 PM
On 2007-09-13 10:30, KaffeKane wrote:

And that folks, is why I hated high school (and even school in general), and why I will never go to college. The incompetence of American education; it's like you're better off studying things on your own, because the teachers can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground, and they think that it's the students fault?

No, check your own damn self for how fucking smart you are, Mister "I gots mah doctorate in being an troll to younger peoplez and cause all massive lulz with that I know nothing like they do", because that's all that they're doing.

My view on America's system of education has effectively fallen to "Whoever is the biggest bully, has the most money, is the most bottom of the barrel retarded, gets the best grade."

I see it in books and magazines, and I can't help but weep at the arrogance that these teachers have simply because they think they're in charge of a class. Again, they aren't doing SQUAT. I'm angry, really angry, at how subpar this nation's becoming, section by section being diseased progressively with stupid.

I don't care if I'm flaming in this post, cause I'm not hating on anyone here. I'm hating on something that deserves to be hated, and that's the way that things are run in this godforsaken country and godforsaken planet, even.

Or you could realize that its your duty to yourself to simply research places of higher learning. Research the graduating classes emplyment rates, their portfolios, and the professors themselves. Making such a blanket statement such as "American ecudation sux" might work on high schools, but considering that there are quite a few colleges that have large foreign student bodies, that same blanket statement simply doesnt work for colleges and universities.

Turambar
Sep 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
The generalization is actually already rather stretched even in regards to secondary eduction. General funding issues as well as grade quotas in certain districts, combined with very often improper parental intervention plays a much larger role than most realize in students getting higher grades than they deserve.

General softness in the education process is also an issue. Many problem students are often attributed to some kind of disorder, may it be ADD, or whatever. Special care is forced to be taken instead of simply disciplining the student to do better. A system where no child is dumb or lazy, but merely special and challenged in certain aspects, where cumbersome special attention instead of simple and effective discipline is prescribed. It really is annoying to see how the system itself is failing partly because of parents, partly because of the administrative overseers, and partly teachers. Of course, teachers being the most obvious and vulnerable scape goats, generally get all the blame.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turambar on 2007-09-13 19:17 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Sep 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
On 2007-09-13 10:30, KaffeKane wrote:

Well damn, university in Canada and America is more different than I thought!

Personally, my animation teachers are quite competent and always willing to take time to help their students, we're actually planning something like the op described in his post, with various game dev company heads and such attending, in the spring, we'll see how things go from there.

ShinMaruku
Sep 13, 2007, 09:28 PM
The US School System is made to keep the rich on top, we all know that. XD

Now I'll say sometimes there are sub par teachers but a student should not give up but try their best and quite simply look for a better place to get taught but what they teach should give you the basics just you will have to do some work for yourself for the time being and get out and get your money back.

If that professor is doing that to all hes an asshole who needs 1,000 rocks thrown at his nuts one after the other.

DikkyRay
Sep 13, 2007, 09:31 PM
My teachers are all quite nice, and go out of their way to help the students.
Sorry that your school is different like that though