PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo returns to #1 after 17 years

Blitzkommando
Sep 14, 2007, 01:06 AM
Kyoto-based game giant Nintendo has reclaimed the top spot in sales of home consoles worldwide, according to a report today from the Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/51df0c84-6154-11dc-bf25-0000779fd2ac.html). The story's numbers place the Wii's 9 million units sold slightly ahead of Microsoft's now-second-place Xbox 360 at 8.9 million sold.

With the sales going as they were, I figured this was inevitable. The question though that everyone is waiting on is what will the holidays bring.

source (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48914)

Mayu
Sep 14, 2007, 01:08 AM
Good <.<

-Crokar-
Sep 14, 2007, 01:32 AM
halo 3 will push out alot of units....true story nintendo wont be #1 for long

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 14, 2007, 03:20 AM
"Nintendo returns to #1 after 17 years"

Sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the NINTENDO DS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

ShadowDragon28
Sep 14, 2007, 03:44 AM
Woot. Go Nintendo. I've got nothing against Xbox 360, I have no love for Sony though.

I think it's nice that there a slowly growing economical/socialogical paradigm shift in the videogame market and among gamers.

I am quite thankful that I'm not the only one whom thinks interactivity, gameplay, immersion and the fun factor in games (as per the Wii) are more important that flashy hyper-real eye-candy graphics.

While hyper-real eye-candy Uber-graphics do look very pretty and are nice, that doesn't neccessarily make a game fun to play, challenging, or immersive.
It tends to feel more like your watching a nice CG movie, with some gameplay portions that often not quite as good as they could of been IMO.

Oh and $400 - $600 consoles with $60 games doesn't help matters when most 23-ish to 35-ish aged gamers (a huge demographic of gamers) are on specific budgets (paying bills etc) nowadays...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-09-14 01:56 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 14, 2007, 03:48 AM
On 2007-09-14 01:20, Kikumaru wrote:

Sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the NINTENDO DS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

That's not a 'home console'. That would go in the portables classification.

Kyoto-based game giant Nintendo has reclaimed the top spot in sales of home consoles worldwide, according to a report today
#1 in home consoles

You can play DS @ home, nobody will stop you but its a portable and doesn't always have to be plugged in.

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 14, 2007, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I know it's not a home console. I don't have drain bamage you know http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

I was just pointing out that the topic could be a little misleading since it titles Nintendo by itself without talking about their console rating until you actually enter the thread, so judging from the title, you would think it was talking about Nintendo in general..not just specifically concerning home consoles.

Well..that's neither here or there really http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-09-14 02:07 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 14, 2007, 04:14 AM
Yes, I think most know by now the DS has sold a lot and its no question in that dept. they've been tops in that for a while.

With that established, this only relates to what else Nintendo wasn't tops in yet with their other product, Wii, and has been confirmed.

PJ
Sep 14, 2007, 08:36 AM
On 2007-09-14 01:44, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

I am quite thankful that I'm not the only one whom thinks interactivity, gameplay, immersion and the fun factor in games (as per the Wii) are more important that flashy hyper-real eye-candy graphics.

You've pretty much said my point about this generation of games (And about the Wii) in this statement http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Well, I mean, 360 and PS3 games have fun to, but it feels like fun is an afterthought; after the presentation of the game.

Shadowpawn
Sep 14, 2007, 10:31 AM

He stated in console sales. We all know Nintendo has a monopoly on the handheld market.

amtalx
Sep 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm all for Nintendo's comeback, but the best part about this generation is the palpable disappointment of Sony fanboys.

Wyndham
Sep 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
this makes me very happy. all those smug sony fanboys need to try to think up a new cock-and-bull story about how Nintendo still sucks.

ljkkjlcm9
Sep 14, 2007, 11:29 AM
On 2007-09-13 23:32, -Crokar- wrote:
halo 3 will push out alot of units....true story nintendo wont be #1 for long

this is really funny to read
Super Smash Bros Brawl will push out at least equal number of systems as Halo 3 will. Probably more.

and it was like a month ago that the market price of Nintendo passed Sony, which, is quite a feet considering Nintendo only does games and Sony has all it's other products, the Nintendo stock was still worth more.

THE JACKEL

tai_EX
Sep 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
On 2007-09-14 09:22, amtalx wrote:
I'm all for Nintendo's comeback, but the best part about this generation is the palpable disappointment of Sony fanboys.

Amen Brother.

And the other additive most fun to owning Nintendo's new bundle of joy is all the intended (or unintended) sexual inuendos!

"Alright so who wants to touch my Wii?"

"Hey Suzy so do you wanna come over and play with my large white Wii?"

....I'm sure there's more, just cant think of them right now.

VioletSkye
Sep 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
Now they need some actual games I'm interested in so my Wii can stop collecting dust http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

amtalx
Sep 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
On 2007-09-14 09:29, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

this is really funny to read
Super Smash Bros Brawl will push out at least equal number of systems as Halo 3 will. Probably more.

This is doubtful. There are a lot of SSB fans out there but it is nothing compared to the juggernaut that is Halo. Major video game retailers have already stated that Halo 3 is on pace to be the largest release in store history. No word of SSBB...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2007-09-14 10:50 ]</font>

KaffeKane
Sep 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
That's because major video game retailers don't want to pay attention to Nintendo. It already attracts enough attention to itself if you're willing to look.

Halo's "juggernaut" is more like a bunch of 25-year old Beavis and Butthead clones from Indiana, taunting screaming retarded twelve-year olds that don't know how to play a game; those little brats think that "liquid cooling" your Xbox 360 means dunking the power supply into a sink full of water... >_>
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if more than half of Halo's playerbase will eventually electrocute itself to death. That'd be funny to see.

amtalx
Sep 14, 2007, 02:03 PM
No, its because numbers don't lie. It's a recorded fact that Halo 3 is the fastest selling pre-order game in history. Retailers have no reason to pick a favorite console because they all generate revenue.

Sord
Sep 14, 2007, 02:10 PM
On 2007-09-14 01:44, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
While hyper-real eye-candy Uber-graphics do look very pretty and are nice, that doesn't neccessarily make a game fun to play, challenging, or immersive.

while I agree with most of your points, so far most Wii games I've tried aren't that challenging. Fun and immersive, but not always challenging. Even with Metroid I jumped straight into Veteran and did just find.

KaffeKane
Sep 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
On 2007-09-14 12:03, amtalx wrote:
No, its because numbers don't lie. It's a recorded fact that Halo 3 is the fastest selling pre-order game in history. Retailers have no reason to pick a favorite console because they all generate revenue.

Heh, then you're only looking at the number of units of Halo 3 being sold. Halo 3 is not an Xbox 360, it's just a game.
A game can help in being a console's selling point, but nearly everbody who wants a 360 already has one, and if they don't, they probably know somebody who does...

amtalx
Sep 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
So SSBB is going to move consoles without selling units (of the game itself)? And if everyone that wanted a 360 had one than why were sales up in August? When you reach your saturation rate, sales go down, not up. Like iPods.

Blitzkommando
Sep 14, 2007, 02:40 PM

Stating Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market is like saying the sky is blue. Everyone knows it and it's not news by any means.

Home consoles on the other hand they haven't had the #1 position for 17 years. Which is equally well known, but the fact they went from third last two generations to first is pretty big news.

KaffeKane
Sep 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-09-14 12:29, amtalx wrote:
So SSBB is going to move consoles without selling units (of the game itself)? And if everyone that wanted a 360 had one than why were sales up in August? When you reach your saturation rate, sales go down, not up. Like iPods.

Did I say that it was moving consoles without selling itself? I said that games can help in being a selling point for a console; there's more than SSBB to look at for the Wii. Not too much right now, mind, but there can still be more. And it's cheap, people like cheap.

I probably chose my words incorrectly, but maybe it's more like everyone who's getting Halo 3 already has a 360. Wouldn't matter how recently they bought it, either.

A testament to how well the Wii sells in comparison to the 360 or even the PS3? I never see the Wii in stock. ANYWHERE. Not even a pre-owned one. I see 360's and PS3's, though, and a couple of them used. :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2007-09-14 12:59 ]</font>

Saner
Sep 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
Nintendo still is in last place to me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PJ
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-09-14 13:17, Saner wrote:
Nintendo still is in last place to me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well, I guess you weren't the one to buy 9 million Wiis.

VanHalen
Sep 14, 2007, 11:56 PM
It prints money!

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 15, 2007, 12:25 AM
On 2007-09-14 21:56, VanHalen wrote:
It prints money!

QFT

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Wolfman2k5/WiiPrintsMoney.gif

DizzyDi
Sep 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
Boy there sure are a lot of people enlisted in the 'console war' in this thread.
Its great that Nintendo is back in 1st place. But I really don't care who is winning where in whoever's polls, as long as the good games keep coming. Really guys, this whole fanboy console shit is the most annoying part about being a gamer, that and listening to Fallout fans whine about how much Fallout 3 is going to suck.

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 15, 2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I don't particularly care about what's selling more. That's for companies to care about, not us consumers.

Did I care that Halo won, "Game of the Year" at one point? Did it make me want to purchase a copy of Halo? Pfft..no.

I still plan on buying a Playstation 3 for my birthday or Christmas..yet, it's the lowest selling so far. Shows how much I care about sales figures http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KaffeKane
Sep 15, 2007, 02:20 AM
On 2007-09-14 23:27, Kikumaru wrote:
Yeah, I don't particularly care about what's selling more. That's for companies to care about, not us consumers.

Did I care that Halo won, "Game of the Year" at one point? Did it make me want to purchase a copy of Halo? Pfft..no.

I still plan on buying a Playstation 3 for my birthday or Christmas..yet, it's the lowest selling so far. Shows how much I care about sales figures http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Only way you could get me to buy a PS3 is to GIB RATCHET.

Rubius-sama
Sep 15, 2007, 03:25 AM
The thing with the Wii is everyone has one, but they don't have any games for it. The Wii is a gimmick console so more sales of the Wii don't really mean anything unless more games are sold alongside it. The 360 may have sold less consoles, but has sold much more in terms of games and accessories.

As of this year's E3'07, more money had been spent on Xbox 360 hardware, software, and related accessories than the Ps3 and Wii combined. (real facts, you can look it up).

Arcyon
Sep 15, 2007, 04:14 AM
Gahh... to hell with console wars!!
I buy what I want. End of. =]

DizzyDi
Sep 15, 2007, 10:20 AM
On 2007-09-15 01:25, Rubius-sama wrote:
The thing with the Wii is everyone has one, but they don't have any games for it. The Wii is a gimmick console so more sales of the Wii don't really mean anything unless more games are sold alongside it. The 360 may have sold less consoles, but has sold much more in terms of games and accessories.

As of this year's E3'07, more money had been spent on Xbox 360 hardware, software, and related accessories than the Ps3 and Wii combined. (real facts, you can look it up).

I pretty much feel the same way about the Wii. Once the novelty of the waggle controls wear off its not as amazing as people make it out. Not only that but its game will really start to age in about a year or so because developers will be starting to get more and more out of the 360 and PS3.

amtalx
Sep 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
On 2007-09-15 01:25, Rubius-sama wrote:

I would agree with this, but my wife hemorrhages money on Wii games. I think I've only gotten 3 games. She's around 10 or so and she didn't even want one when I first brought it home. I think her words were "it looks silly".

Sekani
Sep 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
The Wii is going to be the first console in history to sell more hardware (console, extra remotes, classic controllers, nunchuks, etc.) than software. Let's be real, the games library is the most abysmal I've seen since the Atari Jaguar.

I've owned a Wii since near launch, and to date I still only have two games for it (not counting Wii Sports).

Solstis
Sep 15, 2007, 05:57 PM
The "Wii is a gimmicky console" argument only works if you ignore Metroid Prime 3. It is like a slice of very good pizza.

PJ
Sep 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm starting to think people don't have friends.

Cause the Wii really is aa "Group console." Lots of laughs and fun to be had, with games like Wii Sports and even Excitetruck (With controls so bad, pretty much would make the WORST driving game on any other console)

Sekani
Sep 15, 2007, 07:10 PM
Actually, my friends and family all prefer the DS or the Xbox 360 for multiplayer fun. Who'd a thunk it, eh?

Skuda
Sep 15, 2007, 07:34 PM
I know that in the end, I will have all the consoles out there. For me, it's just a matter of priority. Right now, the PS3 has absolutely nothing I want, so that is likely going to be the last system I purchase. I already have my Wii and DS, and it's only a matter of time before I pick up a 360 or PSP.

Dangerous55
Sep 15, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'd buy a Wii if there was a game I'd like for it. It was entertaining for about 30 minutes. The 360 is good enough. I'd be happy to see MS and Nintendo side by side.

SubstanceD
Sep 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
Nintendo returns to #1 after 17 years?

I was under the impression that the Super Nintendo out sold the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and that Nintendo won the 16 bit console war so I'm not sure where you got the "17 years" thing from.

omegapirate2k
Sep 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
Impressive, hopefully we can get some quality third party games headed our way on the wii, because as it stands theres little in the way of third party games for wii that I'm interested in :/

Darkly
Sep 19, 2007, 01:55 PM
to substanceD, i don't quite know the figures but the snez wasn't nearly as popular as the megadrive in the uk, so maybe it was also more popular in other parts of the world too?

In addition like everyone else here, im a little jaded by the wii, i used to be a big nintendo fan, but for some reason the wii just turned me off, I am eventually going to buy one for brawl, but its worrying that they initially didn't even plan to make a melee sequel. I also got turned off by how nintendo and almost every fanboy and their mom started talking about innovation and fun. I like it when they say that they actually have FUN on their wii - what does that mean, so the rest of the world just play other games on different consoles because they like monotomy? c'mon.

I know that sounded rant-y but its just that nintendo really arn't massive innovators, but i never had a problem with that, I enjoyed twilight princess very much on my gamecube even if it was very similar to all other 3d zeldas.

However after reading that they won't be making wii sports 2 anytime soon, this is reasurring to me that they're going to focus on making more 'proper' games as in less quirky mini-game-games.

Alamar
Sep 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
I was never one to support a single company. I just bought all the systems http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif that way those exclusive titles I can still play. never did care much about numbers I want games good games don't care who makes them or what system they are on. also Sony started as a third party support for Nintendo. Sega how ever started in the game business in the 50's. Nintendo started with playing cards. guess they both came a long way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alamar on 2007-09-20 10:08 ]</font>

Vitamin_D
Sep 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
I see myself getting a Wii first, but as far as a 360 and a PS3, I don't know which I'll get if at all. The problem with the 360 for me is its predecessor. I owned an X Box and didn't get anywhere near as much mileage as I did with my GC and PS2. The type of games that appear most frequently on X Box are the type of games I don't like. The 360 now has some games that I'd like to try, but not enough interesting games for a purchase of one. The PS3 will have some games I'd want, but buying one now I think is pointless. The Wii however I could easily buy for one game. That is Super Smash Brothers. Me and my friends still play Melee a few times a week, and the game came out about 6 years ago. Now THAT'S some mileage. In the end, I'll get the systems that I'd actually use, which sometimes means I won't get them all.

Guitarsmasher
Sep 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-09-14 09:39, VioletSkye wrote:
Now they need some actual games I'm interested in so my Wii can stop collecting dust http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

what games have you tried? I'm currently playing MP3, great game.